Does anyone else worry a little bit about Canada after 2022?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Couturier is 24. That's exactly prime for a hockey player. Doesn't mean he'll fall off a cliff at 25 but this is the general peak for most players.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Canada has good young talent coming still. Lafreniere for example, looks very very good.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Canada has good young talent coming still. Lafreniere for example, looks very very good.
I think 2019 will be strong for us or is that 2020?

I think 2020 will be strong for the Q, is this a product of hockey Quebec changing the AAA format a few years ago?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I initially understood the thread title to be about the WJC teams Canada will ice after 2022, and then wondering how well has this poster really scouted 13-year-old kids to be worried about their ability.

Now I feel a little disappointed.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
As an European i say, Russians all with zero work ethic are certainly no threat :)

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I feel as though the gap between Canada D-men and other elite hockey nations is somewhat widening. Especially when I look at both the star power and depth of both Sweden and America’s bluelines. Does Canada have any Norris caliber D-men in the pipeline? I’m a bit worried about who will replace Weber,Kieth and Doughty. Will Doughty and Pietrangelo be enough to push Canada to gold even if we don’t have any other true elite D coming in?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I feel as though the gap between Canada D-men and other elite hockey nations is somewhat widening. Especially when I look at both the star power and depth of both Sweden and America’s bluelines. Does Canada have any Norris caliber D-men in the pipeline? I’m a bit worried about who will replace Weber,Kieth and Doughty. Will Doughty and Pietrangelo be enough to push Canada to gold even if we don’t have any other true elite D coming in?

How do you know there are no elite dmen in the pipeline? They take a long time to develop lol. A little bit precocious.

What you're saying is that not a single one of:

Mete, Chabot, Girard, Chychrun, Morin, Theodore, Ekblad, Nurse, Severson, Dumba, Fleury, Sanheim, Rielly, Edmunson, Montour, Parayko, Hamilton... etc...

will end up an elite dman? They're all born between 93-98, most of those guys will either be blossoming into maturity (26-28) or entering the start of a dman's normal career (22-24)

Last edited:

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Canada will always pump out elite talent, Alexis Lafreniere is just 16 and looking elite in the Q and Quinton Byfield is just 15 and has many people talking about him and his future (rated 38 on THN's top 100 21 and under).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember thinking that Canada had hit its zenith when guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, Roy, Yzerman, Coffey etc. were on their way out of the NHL.

Many of them had dominated the league even late into their careers and there was a question of whether another generation would be up to the challenge of carrying on the tradition.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think right now we are arguably in the middle-end of what will likely be the most dominant group in hockey history so that might skew things when you don't see guys that stick out like Crosby, Toews, Price, Doughty, Keith etc.

I don't think that they will be as dominant as they are now where it would have been a big upset if they had lost 2010/14/16, but I still they will be at worst the favorite or co-favorite.

Canada still has a ton of young talent but it doesn't seem to stick out as much as some of the other countries, US especially.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You put together a team for 2022 and are worried about what comes beyond that? If you went back exactly 4 years and projected a team for 2018 how accurate would that be? 4 years ago Scheifele, closing in on his 21st birthday, had a whopping 11 career points in 43 games played. How many people would have considered him worthy for consideration at any point in the future?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You put together a team for 2022 and are worried about what comes beyond that? If you went back exactly 4 years and projected a team for 2018 how accurate would that be? 4 years ago Scheifele, closing in on his 21st birthday, had a whopping 11 career points in 43 games played. How many people would have considered him worthy for consideration at any point in the future?

Pffft, Scheifele sucks compared to Couturier and Zibanejad.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't worry, young players in Canada that are currently minors will be good enough to make that team, most likely 70% will stay the same on OP's roster.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Here is Canada's team of players who turn 24 this year or are younger. A little projecting with some of these players.

Marner-McDavid-MacKinnon
Huberdeau-Scheifele-Drouin
Point-Jost-Barzal
PLD
-Horvat-Patrick
Monahan

Chabot-Ekblad
Chychrun-Parayko
Rielly-Hamilton
Byram

Murray
Hart

Monahan is a ppg first line forward who is good at faceoffs and has good advanced stats this year. He almost has as many goals as horvat has points in the league. What does he have to do to earn some respect lol, this is ludicrous. A rookie who can't even pu up points in the A, a guy who he has bested every year, and two question marks make it on the roster over him? I didn't even touch Drouin and Huberdeau, or nolan patrick. Just pathetic.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Within the next 20 years, the majority of hockey players will become American. They will have the best players. They days of Canada winning gold every time year are over. They have more money and resources. Plus canadian hockey players are staying in America and raising american kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->