Does a cup win this year make up for all the playoff failures for Washington?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
One cup makes the entire era a success, absolutely. Look at Vancouver, St. Louis, Buffalo and how long they've been waiting.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Chelsea won a CL title with their core (Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba) on the downslide, they had been close before though, Caps has never been close.

It. Will. Not. Happen.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I know they lost a ton of depth and aren't considered a cup contender this year, but anything can happen in the NHL. Would it make up for everything that's already happened? Do they need more than just 1?
A cup win is EVERYTHING. It erases all mistakes and gives a free pass for having screwed the franchise for following years, at least two or three. That said, I would not bet on the Caps to win, they have had better teams than this year. Anything can happen but they would not be in my top 3 to bet on.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know they lost a ton of depth and aren't considered a cup contender this year, but anything can happen in the NHL. Would it make up for everything that's already happened? Do they need more than just 1?
Their chances to win it once are slim right now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Washington's playoff futility is the hockey gods payback for the atrocity that was Dale Hunter.

The Caps have been terrible in the playoffs way before the Hunter hit on Turgeon. And if a franchise could be cursed because of a cheap shot, half the league would be cursed. Obviously this isn't the case.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A cup win is EVERYTHING. It erases all mistakes and gives a free pass for having screwed the franchise for following years, at least two or three. That said, I would not bet on the Caps to win, they have had better teams than this year. Anything can happen but they would not be in my top 3 to bet on.

who in their right mind would bet on the Capitals? I am a Caps fan and the last two seasons were juggernauts. I still didn't think they would win

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Washington's playoff futility is the hockey gods payback for the atrocity that was Dale Hunter.

You know where the whole curse thing started. Eh? The 5 overtime game. Caps were late in the 3rd period of g7 with a lead and Rod Langway to hold it. The skates back then were moulded and hinged with a bolt at the ankle. The bolt broke on one of Caps goalie Bob Mason's skates as Trottier thru a fairly harmless shot at the net. Mason nearly fell and it went in. The Caps frustration with the NYI well predates Dale Hunter

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Short answer: Yes.

I also think the meme that the Caps are some enormous playoff chokers is overdone. Mostly b/c there's lots of trolling on sports boards and fans, especially casual fans, overweight the playoffs. They've been one of the better teams in the NHL for nearly a decade. Their main failure has been not being ale to get by Pitt, which on their way to 3, that's THREE, SCs had to overcome the Caps in 3 tough series. Which iirc, has always been in the 2nd round based on various seeding systems. It's somewhat of a diss of the Pens that the Caps "choked" to them as if Pittsburgh was some huge, but lucky underdog :huh: That's a bunch of bs.

IMO a series were the Caps did choke was in 2010 when they were upset by the Habs w/Halak standing on his head. The Habs continued their magical run the next round where they defeated the defending SC champs Pens ! Wow, image that, even a SC champ can choke :eek: Exhausted by their efforts, the upstart Habs easily bowed out in the ECF to Philly in 5. Will any sensible non troller with at least an upper 2-digit IQ think that Philly (barely the 7th seed) or Habs (8th seed) were better than Caps or Pens that season? In the short run (playoffs) anything can happen - and sometimes it does.

Two of the most overused words on sports boards, not only by dimwits but midwit posters: choke(d) and clutch.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Washington was same as they are now in the 80s. Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Mike Gartner. Instead of the Penguins, it was the Islanders. Divisional playoffs.
The Caps lost to the Pens 2 years in a row in the early 90s when the Pens won there back to back cups

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Let me preface this by saying the Capitals won't win the Cup this year. Some franchises have "it", some don't.

That being said, if the Caps were to win a Cup it would erase EVERYTHING that has ever happened for the franchise. 1974, trading Carpenter, losing Stevens, 1998, all the up 3-1 "chokes", trading Forsberg, etc., etc., all gone.

Winning a Cup cleanses a franchise.

I like the Pens subforum here a lot, good posters and good hockey talk, too many wrestling references but to each their own. ;) They are so hard on the current team that it is insane. If the Caps won a Cup I don't think I would say a negative thing about them for the next five seasons. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->