Does a cup win this year make up for all the playoff failures for Washington?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I know they lost a ton of depth and aren't considered a cup contender this year, but anything can happen in the NHL. Would it make up for everything that's already happened? Do they need more than just 1?

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
If I was a caps fan, they would just need 1.
More than 1 would be nice but its hard to win 1 let alone multiple. Besides, I doubt the caps out of all ppl can be expected to win multiple when they have shown to be incapable of reaching the 3rd round lol

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know they lost a ton of depth and aren't considered a cup contender this year, but anything can happen in the NHL. Would it make up for everything that's already happened? Do they need more than just 1?

Not sure how a team with a Vezina level goalie, a quality top 4 defense, 2 all star level centers and 2 all star level wingers wouldn't be considered a contender.

Right now, the reverse of their playoff situation is at play. They are used to winning and they know how to win in the regular season. Come playoffs it will be the same ole same ole. But they are like a rattle snake that is afraid to strike. You don't want to be the guy standing there when it happens.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
yeah, cup is what it's all about. doesn't erase failure, but definitely alters perception of a player or an organization because they can no longer be seen as incapable of it, obviously.

Reactions: Dumais

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
ovechkin not winning one earlier has reinforced the already-existing notion that a winning team can't really be built around an elite goal-scoring winger. ovechkin's probably the best goal scorer in the history of the game, so if he retires without one, we'll probably see pure scorers continue to fall in the draft and get traded for bad value. which is cool with me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Absolutely.

I still think people are sleeping on the Caps in the East.

Due to the failures in the past, there's less expectation and pressure on them this year, and they'll be going into the playoffs without the top seed in the East tag on their shoulders.

I think those things play in their favor. They looked like they had the weight of the world on their backs last post-season. They won't have that this season.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Of course.
I think winning a Cup with any core group of players is a win in the modern NHL. Winning Cups is very, very difficult. Look at recent amazing teams like St. Louis, San Jose, Vancouver, etc. that have never been able to win a Cup. Winning one Cup today is a win regardless of the roster.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Teams/players are chokers until they aren't. Pronger used to have a bad reputation as a playoff performer. As did the Red Wings.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Well the Bruins winning the cup in 2011 made me not care about blowing the 3-0 series lead to Philly the year before so yea I'd say so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->