Speculation: Do you think there is a riff between our GM and Coach?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Seems like nonsense to me.

If there was a rift between them why wouldn't Chiarelli just fire him? I'd say its 50/50 it happens at the end of the season anyway.

A rift doesn't have to be some giant thing though. Plus I might have developed over this season. I think it's quite possible they've been arguing and he may very well be let go this offseason.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fire them both into outer space please.

McLellan is a dummy on special teams, Chiarelli is the worst thing to happen to the franchise since the Gretzky trade.

Reactions: lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Fire them both into outer space please.

McLellan is a dummy on special teams, Chiarelli is the worst thing to happen to the franchise since the Gretzky trade.

McDavid falls into your lap, how does one fail so fast is what I can't comprehend. Some average Joe's couldn't mess that up.

Resembles the Mike Milbury show.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid falls into your lap, how does one fail so fast is what I can't comprehend. Some average Joe's couldn't mess that up.

This is the Mike Milbury show all over again.

We have the worst manager in pro sports seriously. No hyperbole. People say the Cleveland Browns are the worst franchise in pro sports, but do they have the reigning NFL MVP on their team having a career season?

You give LeBron James and one other solid player (relative to Draisaitl) to any NBA team and they are at minimum a playoff team, probably a high seed.

The Oilers meanwhile aren't even sniffing a playoff spot with the best player in the world and a second player who's scoring at a rate comparable to Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We have the worst manager in pro sports seriously. No hyperbole. People say the Cleveland Browns are the worst franchise in pro sports, but do they have the reigning NFL MVP on their team having a career season?

You give LeBron James and one other solid player (relative to Draisaitl) to any NBA team and they are at minimum a playoff team, probably a high seed.

The Oilers meanwhile aren't even sniffing a playoff spot with the best player in the world and a second player who's scoring at a rate comparable to Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel.

Yeah its pathetic. It's a combination like you were getting at. McLellan has no system whatsoever.

I recall Laraque on the pp at a time in Edmonton but it wasn't every game and they implemented a system knowing Laraque had stone hands and wasn't the fastest skater. He battled hard in front of the net usually and had decent puck control at times.

Here we have Lucic on every pp after getting top 6 minutes, no doubt he slows down during the game averaging 18+ minutes each game. I can't believe Lucic has hit 20+ minutes on numerous occasions.

I know they can't be compared but there size was similar.

You would think Lucic would be losing weight with all the ice time but then again he'd be only eating more burning that energy, so that potentially messes up a guys system.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think there's been a disconnect between them for a long time, but I don't think that in itself is very unusual. It's probably pretty rare for GM's and coaches to see eye to eye on every player personnel decision. So depends a bit on how big the rift between them actually is. I could envision Chia getting increasingly frustrated by McLellan though, especially with how the season has gone, but who knows...if he really is frustrated with McLellan he will probably be gone this summer. If not, well then there's your answer.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Letestu was one of the 3 best UFA centres available at the deadline and Maroon was one of the few pending UFAs that had over 20 goals last year.

Everyone was expecting them to get traded regardless of how they were deployed by TMac

Reactions: nabob

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
Chia gave Todd the roster he wanted and in the process bleed value making it difficult to rectify mistakes by the evaluators (which includes himself) - Todd is a bad coach.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia gave Todd the roster he wanted and in the process bleed value making it difficult to rectify mistakes by the evaluators (which includes himself) - Todd is a bad coach.

Chia's moves are in line with what he was already doing in Boston ... throwing away talented players and overpaying middling role players causing cap problems.

I doubt Todd had to egg him on very much. Chia basically has done exactly what Bruins fans were telling Oiler fans he would do in 2015 and we just didn't want to hear it and rationalized it in ways like "well obviously he's learned from the Seguin trade, that won't happen again".

lol.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Letestu was terribly overused this year. After having a great year last year tho.

Maroon is a Chiarelli and Tmac player and really played good overall all yhings considered.

Got to believe Chiarelli has a hand in Lucic being overplayed as well.

In short, no I don't believe they have significant disagreements on much.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A coach is paid to coach and a GM to manage. They won’t necessarily always agree on player personnel or on the deployment of player personnel. That doesn’t mean there is a riff (?) (rift I believe is the correct term).

The GM has the hammer and if he doesn’t like what he sees or agree with the player deployment he will fire the coach.

If TMac is fired at years end we will know there was a rift. But I do not believe there is one that serious. Maroon and Letestu were on expiring contracts and it’s incumbent on the GM to either resign them or try to get something for the asset especially seeing how we were not playoff bound.
Not sure if the GM holds the hammer on whether or not he can fire a coach anymore or if the owner gets the last say. Today’s coaches get paid so much money now that it’s quite possible the owner won’t allow it. I think in the past your assessment was correct but I don’t suspect it to be true anymore. Under these conditions I think it would be easy for a rift to develop between a coach and GM. Not saying that’s the case here for sure as I’m not an insider. Just pointing out that it’s wrong to dismiss the idea.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not sure if the GM holds the hammer on whether or not he can fire a coach anymore or if the owner gets the last say. Today’s coaches get paid so much money now that it’s quite possible the owner won’t allow it. I think in the past your assessment was correct but I don’t suspect it to be true anymore. Under these conditions I think it would be easy for a rift to develop between a coach and GM. Not saying that’s the case here for sure as I’m not an insider. Just pointing out that it’s wrong to dismiss the idea.

That’s true, with the money involved the owner would probably have to sign off. That said if an owner over rode the GM on a decision like that the GM is basically dead man walking you’d think.

Either way I don’t think there is any serious rift between the two. GM will evaluate the coach and they are professionals, they will have a meeting end of season detailing their impressions on the season and what they need to move forward.

Because neither will be fired end of season IMO. Much to the chagrin of 99% of the HF Oil forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad