Do you see Backstrom passing Sundin in points?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
For most points by a swedish forward. Sundin is at 1349. Backstrom is at 738.

Nick needs to play about 9 more seasons averaging about 65-70p will be tough.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
I think so. He will probably average more than a point for the next 4 years. Even with a decline towards say 60-70p mid 30s he will make it. Backs got probably around 10-11 seasons left with his smooth style he will age really well.

Very few and only the elite have outpointed him since he entered the league.

Last edited:

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
More likely not to than to do. To get 500+ points after age 30 when you already played 800+ RS and 100+ PO games is an hard task (wich he will have if healthy threw age 29...).

On his plus side he the last season (and this start...) seems back to his pre Rene Bourque-elbow concussion. That hit made him miss three months and he really wasn´t himself on the ice the following seasons either. Dropping out from being a top 5 PPG center regular to instead hovering around 10. Now he looks his old (young...) self again.

He needs a few big healthy seasons in his early 30´s to be able to pull it off. He got that ability to slow down the play, so he can stay around as PP weapon after his body will start to feel his age in a few seasons (most hockey players with long careers has it happen between 30-35...) he certainly ups his oppurtuntie to do it.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think he'll get there. Sundin played in a high scoring era to start his career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't think he'll get there. Sundin played in a high scoring era to start his career.

He only used it to his advantage one year though, in 92–93. I think Bäckström playing with Ovi outweighs that.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It'll be tough. Although I see Bäckström having a really long career, he is all about vision and hockey sense. He's gonna be good for a few more years. It will boil down to how he finishes off his career. Thornton-esque or H.Sedin-esque?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He only used it to his advantage one year though, in 92–93. I think Bäckström playing with Ovi outweighs that.

According to the site hockeyreference, Sundin's era-adjusted point total is more than 1400 points (his actual point total was about 1350 points). I'm sure Backstrom's adjusted point total is quite a bit higher than his actual point total as well, though.

Yeah, stars played more minutes and scored a greater shares of their team's points during the dead puck era than in recent seasons, but I'm just putting that out there.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Of course he doesn't have the raw numbers, but he's been better than Oates through this stage in his career, no? Oates had just the lone 2nd place AS vote, whereas Backstrom has a 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9. Oates had his massive season at age 30 in 92-93, and Backstrom is actually playing at a similar pace this year, with 11 points in 6 games. Of course it's early, and I realize Oates contemporary centers have a bit more clout than the guys Backstrom is up against, but it's not like Oates would be beating out Crosby or Malkin either.

He's definitely better than Federko, who is there purely for his passing and consistency.

To answer OP's question though: no.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Of course he doesn't have the raw numbers, but he's been better than Oates through this stage in his career, no? Oates had just the lone 2nd place AS vote, whereas Backstrom has a 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9. Oates had his massive season at age 30 in 92-93, and Backstrom is actually playing at a similar pace this year, with 11 points in 6 games. Of course it's early, and I realize Oates contemporary centers have a bit more clout than the guys Backstrom is up against, but it's not like Oates would be beating out Crosby or Malkin either.

He's definitely better than Federko, who is there purely for his passing and consistency.

To answer OP's question though: no.

Interesting comparision for sure.

At the age of 29 i think Backstrom looks stronger. As you said AS-votes are far more. Top 10 finishes are 6 compared to 3. Playoffs are a nod to Oates same time in their careers.

But collecting postseason All-Star is harsh in Backstroms era as well as Oates. Depth for center at this moment is crazy.

Oates aged really well and i think Backstrom will this also.

Ovie has a couple of years left in the tank and looks rejuvenated. Backstrom could also sign as a FA and become a 1A/1B-center on a team and win the cup when Ovie is done as a 40+ scorer.

He now got a favourable position on his national team. Most great centers are now retired and he will add to his legacy there. NHL doesnt care about his doping-thing either.

Even if he doesnt catch Sundin i think its very reasonable that he will pass Alfredsson.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
According to the site hockeyreference, Sundin's era-adjusted point total is more than 1400 points (his actual point total was about 1350 points). I'm sure Backstrom's adjusted point total is quite a bit higher than his actual point total as well, though.

Yeah, stars played more minutes and scored a greater shares of their team's points during the dead puck era than in recent seasons, but I'm just putting that out there.

Backstrom's raw totals say he's 55% of the way to matching Sundin and 68% of the way through era adjusted stats.

I don't think he'll do it through raw totals. 600 points is a lot, he's about to turn 30yo and if he starts having 50-ish point seasons due to age or injury...

Well, let's out it this way.
Give him a 75 point average for the next 5, including this one. Give him a 50 point average the 4 years after that. That's a remarkably healthy career with a stable decline (neither are guaranteed). Even then, he still falls short of the 610 needed to tie with only 564 more points. And this calculation takes him to 39yo, but there's no reason to even believe that he'll play that long.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I can see Backstrom being very effective for another half decade, but it's just hard to know whether a guy will stay so consistent for so long into their upper 30's. For every Thornton/Sedin, there are handfuls of guys who just fall off.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Backstrom's raw totals say he's 55% of the way to matching Sundin and 68% of the way through era adjusted stats.

I don't think he'll do it through raw totals. 600 points is a lot, he's about to turn 30yo and if he starts having 50-ish point seasons due to age or injury...

Well, let's out it this way.
Give him a 75 point average for the next 5, including this one. Give him a 50 point average the 4 years after that. That's a remarkably healthy career with a stable decline (neither are guaranteed). Even then, he still falls short of the 610 needed to tie with only 564 more points. And this calculation takes him to 39yo, but there's no reason to even believe that he'll play that long.
Isnt 37 year old zetterberg on pace for 60 or 70p

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure, but he has 200+ assists to Ovechkin goals. There's no way he'd be anywhere near .74 assists per game with Sergei Berezin.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He had JONAS Hoglund, though, man!

And Derek King and washed up Mike Renberg.

lmfao, That's whats most impressive about Sundin. For over 90% of his career he didn't even have 1 legitimate top line winger to play with. Just imagining what Sundin could've done if he had a guy like Ovechkin on his wing...Easily would've topped 1500 points, probably closer to the 1650-1700 range if he had a guy like that throughout his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad