Do you respect Adam Fantilli’s honesty with the referee?

Do you respect Adam Fantilli’s honesty with the referee?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes I have. I've already said the head snap is a normal reflex. Ref sees him grab his face and puts his arm up assuming he got high sticked. He tells the ref he didn't get hit and people are surprised the ref made the embellishment call?
Alright, well just seeing the stick coming for your face can make you feel your face before you even feel the impact or can consciously do anything about it. His hand came up to his face before he even could have consciously made such a decision. And if he was trying to embellish, why would he himself have immediately have blown his own successful embellishment? I don't want to say anything more since that'd be against the forum rules.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Yes I have. I've already said the head snap is a normal reflex. Ref sees him grab his face and puts his arm up assuming he got high sticked. He tells the ref he didn't get hit and people are surprised the ref made the embellishment call?
Others and I have already explained you how this happens.

For the bold, your initial statement was that it WAS definitive embellishment, and this is what we've been addressing.
"Grabbing your face after a stick misses is embellishment no matter what way you look at it."
"However he then grabbed at his face like he had been hit by the stick. Can't embellish a high stick then say it didn't hit you and expect to not get called"

The ref giving him an embellishment for that is definitely wrong. If you disagree, you it means you'd agree with a player being given a penalty for embellishment after tripping by themselves (crack on the ice, bad feet movement, etc.) while an opponent's stick is nearby but never touching their skate.

Embellishment is a penalty that requires intent. Reflexes, reaction times, being weak on your skates, etc. are all thing that explain over >50% of stuff many consider embellishment. It's very easy to discern high stick embellishments from those that are not. Those that embellish will keep holding for longer and might take more time to move their hands towards their face assuming the stick wasn't super close when it passed by.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
GTHL tier referee at best that is employed in the NHL, because that’s what they do, is sad, because Chadam Fantilli who is going to be getting supermodel-level ass if he isn’t already told him he was wrong.

I respect the kid’s integrity almost as much as I have no respect for the quality and consistency of reffing in this league.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Alright, well just seeing the stick coming for your face can make you feel your face before you even feel the impact or can consciously do anything about it. His hand came up to his face before he even could have consciously made such a decision. And if he was trying to embellish, why would he himself have immediately have blown his own successful embellishment? I don't want to say anything more since that'd be against the forum rules.
Let's put it this way. How many times have players sold high sticks that didn't touch them by grabbing their face like they had been hit? Here the ref calls the penalty, Fantilli says it didn't hit me and the ref decided he was embellishing the call. Not that hard to see why he was given a penalty

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Others and I have already explained you how this happens.

For the bold, your initial statement was that it WAS definitive embellishment, and this is what we've been addressing.
"Grabbing your face after a stick misses is embellishment no matter what way you look at it."
"However he then grabbed at his face like he had been hit by the stick. Can't embellish a high stick then say it didn't hit you and expect to not get called"

The ref giving him an embellishment for that is definitely wrong. If you disagree, you it means you'd agree with a player being given a penalty for embellishment after tripping by themselves (crack on the ice, bad feet movement, etc.) while an opponent's stick is nearby but never touching their skate.

Embellishment is a penalty that requires intent. Reflexes, reaction times, being weak on your skates, etc. are all thing that explain over >50% of stuff many consider embellishment. It's very easy to discern high stick embellishments from those that are not. Those that embellish will keep holding for longer and might take more time to move their hands towards their face assuming the stick wasn't super close when it passed by.
How is it wrong? How many times have players sold a high stick that didn't come close by snapping their head back and grabbing their face? Honestly not that hard to see why the ref made the call he did even after Fantilli said he didn't hit him.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
How is it wrong? How many times have players sold a high stick that didn't come close by snapping their head back and grabbing their face? Honestly not that hard to see why the ref made the call he did even after Fantilli said he didn't hit him.
Just re-read what I said because that's your answer. That's simply power tripping from the ref. Especially when taking the context into account.

Do you really, really think a player who actively tried to embellish would go to the ref after DRAWING a penalty to let them know?

Other embellishment penalties being called for other instances where it looked like embellishment is completely irrelevant there, especially since a lot of them were probably called wrongly too (or were not actually embellishment but just reflexes). Just because they make mistakes repeatedly doesn't make them "right" ._.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wait... so he told the ref the truth and he got 2 for flinching?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yup.

Isn't that the same that happened to Knies in the playoffs and everyone thought it was an embellishment ?

Did Fantilli get penalized for it ?

Reactions: Fig

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yes, and I still can't figure out why the ref decided to penalize both of them. Either it happened or it didn't, you can't get both.

EDIT: Just went back and checked the boxscore, apparently Harley sat two for the high stick - which never happened, as per Fantilli - and Fantilli was handed 2mins for "roughing". When it happened I thought they nabbed him for embellishment. Could just be TSN's error though: Dallas Stars vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 2023-11-09 | TSN

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad