Do you now think season will be saved? (after latest developements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeycrazy3033

Feb 15, 2005
Hockeytown, Michigan
yes, and there isn't one point throughout the entire lockout that I've been negative or pessimistic. I just can't see them being dumb enough to cancel the season, to make them become the first sport to ever do it and to ruin hockey forever. They'll save it. Deadlines make people produce.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
Given that Bettman's press conference was pushed back a day, the report that the player's association offer included a cap, and the fact that they talked until late into the evening gives me more hope than I had on Friday but I'm not sure that's enough for me to think they will save the season.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Rational Minds dictate that there should be a deal now that the PA have agreed to a salary cap without linkage. However this is Bettman and Goodenow we are dealing with.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
I am convince there will be a season, I really stop beleiving the crap that the media is trying to sell to us (they are being used by the NHL and the PA but they just dont see it, has do most of us). This is negotiation you give and you take and eventually you make a deal. Since the time is almost up the concessions are now beginning and soon we will be watching are fav sports again....!

Hockeycrazy3033

Feb 15, 2005
Hockeytown, Michigan
CRAZY_FAN said:
I am convince there will be a season, I really stop beleiving the crap that the media is trying to sell to us (they are being used by the NHL and the PA but they just dont see it, has do most of us). This is negotiation you give and you take and eventually you make a deal. Since the time is almost up the concessions are now beginning and soon we will be watching are fav sports again....!

couldn't have said it better. :yo:

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Nope, NHL wont accept a cap of 46 million. And NHLPA wont go any lower. That is what will happen.
Both Bettman and Goodenow should be fired if that indeed happens.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I see it as close to 50-50. The NHLPA bent more than I expectedbut it's still not enough. If the NHL knows what's good for hockey, they will cancel this season and totally rip the NHLPA to shreds next year.

The NHL's bargaining position can only go up.

Habber

May 31, 2002
Saskatoon, Sask.
Visit site
Both sides have retreated greatly from their original stance and are so close right now it would be foolish to not get a deal done. Bascially right now they are agreeing on a "system" and all that's left is numbers. There's no reason to cancel the season when they're only $12 mil apart.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The PA has to know that number is going to get considerably smaller as they are locked out longer and longer. If the season is cancelled they can wave goodbye to anywhere from 6-12 million of that cap number. I believe there will be a deal for the following reasons: 1. Everyone knows how badly an entire cancelled season would for the sport (NHL & NHLPA) 2. The only people who care if the cap is below around 45 million that badly are the '8' and stupid Bettman 3. The pressure on both sides to get a deal done is IMMENSE at this point, the Owners of the teams outside the '8' will scream bloody murder if the NHLPA is willing to accept a cap from 40-45 million and Bettman doesn't cut a deal.

I'm pro-owner, but I will say I like the cap figure between 40-45 million with a floor around 32 million and a luxury tax that starts around 38 million (based on the NHLPA's figures). It doesn't overly limit the market, but it prevents extreme payrolls and closes the gap between the big spenders and the smaller markets. People seem to forget that under this climate a team with say a 36 million payroll isn't as handicapped as if teams could still have payrolls around $70 million.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
both sides (or their chosen representation) are too stubborn, and in this pissing contest all both sides will do is get wet.

I voted No

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I hope not. A 28 game schedule ruins the integrity of the Stanley Cup entirely. As a Sabres fan, I would be greatly disappointed if we happened to win our first championship this season.

The players and owners have no respect for the game and no appreciation for the fans. I hope the arenas are empty if they ever come back.

mooseOAK*

Even if they reached an agreement today how do the teams get the players signed and ready to play in a short amount of time? Boston and Philadelphia as examples have maybe 2/3 of a team signed right now. That is just one issue and there are many others to consider before getting a season started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->