Do You Like Having 2nd Round Matchups "Locked In" at the Start of the Playoffs?

Do You Like Having 2nd Round Matchups "Locked In" at the Start of the Playoffs?

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There have been different changes since the NHL re-formatted the divisions, but one of the changes is that teams do not get re-seeded as they advance in the playoffs, and matchups are "locked in" all the way through like they would be in the March Madness Tournament (ie. if it's Tampa vs. New Jersey and Boston vs. Toronto, you know for sure before the playoffs begin that the 2nd round would be the winner of these two series instead of the uncertainty of who you'd be playing if they still re-seeded the teams). I believe the thought from the NHL was that it would strengthen divisional rivalries.

Does anyone like this aspect of the playoff format?

Reactions: Gains

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's awful. Top 2 teams in the east (WSH and PIT) met in the 2nd round in both 2016 and 2017. In 2017 it was actually the top 2 teams in the entire NHL meeting in the 2nd round.

Seems to happen every year - this year we'll get Boston/Toronto vs Tampa most likely in the 2nd round.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's awful. Top 2 teams in the east (WSH and PIT) met in the 2nd round in both 2016 and 2017. In 2017 it was actually the top 2 teams in the entire NHL meeting in the 2nd round.

Seems to happen every year - this year we'll get Boston/Toronto vs Tampa most likely in the 2nd round.
I agree with this.

I'd also argue that it almost takes something out of divisional rivalries. Not that it's a good example right now, but I liked when Boston would just randomly match-up with Montreal as a 2 vs. 7 seed or something. It did a lot to add to the lore of the rivalry, that they always just would find each other in the playoffs. Now that it's almost a mandated thing for divisional rivals to have to play each other in the 1st or 2nd round, it takes something out of it, and nearly eliminates the possibility of a higher stakes Conference Championship match-up between rivals (unless a Wild Card goes on a run).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think the matchups being "locked in" is an overstatement.

Yes, Tampa will probably be playing against the winner of Boston/Toronto. But there's a chance Tampa loses, and we don't know their opponent between the two other teams. Is that really "locked in"? You made it sound like we already know who will advance past round one.

Having the teams re-seeded doesn't really bring any more excitement. In fact, if you think about it, it's kind of nice to know where you're opponent is coming from. It was a bit strange before if a team finishes their series quick in a sweep to try and figure out the next opponent.

It used to be complicated, like "If NJ upsets Tampa then we play Jersey. If not, then we go up against the winner of Pittsburgh and Florida." What?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think the matchups being "locked in" is an overstatement.

Yes, Tampa will probably be playing against the winner of Boston/Toronto. But there's a chance Tampa loses, and we don't know their opponent between the two other teams. Is that really "locked in"? You made it sound like we already know who will advance past round one.

Having the teams re-seeded doesn't really bring any more excitement. In fact, if you think about it, it's kind of nice to know where you're opponent is coming from. It was a bit strange before if a team finishes their series quick in a sweep to try and figure out the next opponent.

It used to be complicated, like "If NJ upsets Tampa then we play Jersey. If not, then we go up against the winner of Pittsburgh and Florida." What?
Never meant to imply that, just meant that the path to the Cup is locked in.

There was a reason to it being set up that way before though. The higher the seed, the weaker the opponent. It gives the better regular season teams the advantage they deserve, and saves the marquee matchups (or at least attempts to) for the Conference Finals.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Never meant to imply that, just meant that the path to the Cup is locked in.

There was a reason to it being set up that way before though. The higher the seed, the weaker the opponent. It gives the better regular season teams the advantage they deserve, and saves the marquee matchups (or at least attempts to) for the Conference Finals.

Then why not say it that way? You specifically said 2nd round matchups, not path to the cup. It sounds like you're talking about something completely different.

And getting the marquee matchups a bit too early isn't ideal. But that's better than not getting them at all. What if Washington had just lost to a different team in the 2nd round of 2016 and 2017? Then we wouldn't have gotten to see them against PIT, and the rivalry would get smaller.

It's fine by me that you can get a monster matchup in the 2nd round. It's typically the least interesting round of the playoffs, so at least there's a reason to pay attention.

Round 1 gives you a zillion games a night, overdose of high-octane playoffs. Round 3 is battle tested teams looking for a ticket to the dance, and with only 4 left you can follow all their storylines. The final is the final. I'm ok if round 2 is for the marquee "meeting of the giants".

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I put indifferent because I really don't care.
But liked having a playoff spot secured by (US) Thanksgiving. So if this is a consequence, then I guess I'd have to be yes.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yeah I like it, makes sense to do it this way IMO. It's more like a proper bracket.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like the idea of it being locked in

I absolutely hate the way the top 8 are currently seeded...if that makes sense.

Should just be top 8 per conference, locked in. Get rid of the entire division leader + WC format.

1st round

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

2nd round

1 or 8 vs 4 or 5
2 or 7 vs 3 or 6

3rd round

1, 8, 4, 5 vs 2, 7, 3, 6.

Reactions: Syrinx

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

This has more to do with the playoff system than the absence of re-seeding. That didn't happen under the old 1vs8 system.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I like that divisional flavor. Plus it makes it extra fun to go into another division's bracket as a Wildcard.

Granted I'd also be down for a straight 1-16 bracket with the first two rounds using a 2-3-2 format to minimize travel until the final 4.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'd love top eight in each conference re-seeded each round. Get rid of the divisions.

As it stands with the divisions, I'm indifferent regarding re-seeding. I can see points on both sides.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Agreed. I don't really like it
I prefer and would vote to bring back the 1-8 option

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't like it. Rivalries are great, but they get old if they're forced all the time. It was the same problem when you had 6 games against the other 4 teams in your division. It got old really fast. It's intriguing to see teams who don't know each other as well. Plus, there's more odds of the best teams playing each other in round 2, which can make the conference finals feel like a letdown.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
nope, i don't like it, Caps would've easily made the ECF if not for the Pens....and 2 of WPG/NSH/TB/BOS will be going out by the end of 2nd round. 4 of those are top 5 teams in the nhl..

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like it. Rivalries are great, but they get old if they're forced all the time. It was the same problem when you had 6 games against the other 4 teams in your division. It got old really fast. It's intriguing to see teams who don't know each other as well. Plus, there's more odds of the best teams playing each other in round 2, which can make the conference finals feel like a letdown.

We still get 6 games against the other teams in our division in the central...and I love it. There's a lot of fun tough hockey...and beating on the Wild after the way they beat on us for a while is a blast...though I do want to get into the Pacific bracket for the playoffs to develop some out of division rivalries as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad