Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
no, I don't believe he is a generational talent. IMO he's in that next grouping of Superstar/1st ballot HOF'er

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
EDIT: The arguments I was referring to were about OV's goal-scoring dominance, of which the same could practically be said about Bossy (especially if you take out all Gretzky influenced numbers)

You're just making stuff up. Numbers don't show Bossy as an equal to Ovechkin to goalscoring. I mean, gosh, just head over to the History of Hockey board and read up there. No one with any credibility would say that Bossy is as accomplished a scorer.

Or go to hockey reference and compare their respective top 10 and top 5 finishes as goal scorers. No one made this argument but your imagination.

Reactions: Plural

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I can't believe we are actually having a discussion if Ovechkin is generational. Of course he is.

A generational player wouldn't have 5 or 6 better seasons than another generational player in Crosby (06, 08, 09, 10, 15 and maybe this year)

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If we are talking regular season production, then yes. Playoffs are a different animal and OV has never showed he had the versatility to adjust his game. Crosby and Malkin produced as much as OV while carrying their lines and playing solid 2-way hockey.

I disagree with this statement. In 09 Ovi adjusted his game just fine. Management chose to go with 3more and a rookie goalie with 7 guys named sally playing defense. Pens should be ashamed of themselves that series went 7 games which only did solely because of Ovi. Ovi once again being screwed by not having 2 of the 3 best players in the league on his team. Would love to see Crosbys career "TEAM Awards" minus Malkin. Im sure he still wins atleast 1 cup but you never know.

Ovi 8+6
Crosby 8+5
Malkin 2+8
Backstrom 3+5

Ovi finished 5th in playoff scoring

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This shouldn't even be a question. To be quite honest anyone arguing this mostly likely just doesn't like him. You're talking about a guy who has a chance to possibly go down as #1 on the alltime goalscoring list. Given the adjustment for offense in his generation he'll finish far and above the greatest goal scorer of all time without a doubt even if he doesn't pass 99 by the time he retires statistically. smfh at the responses in this thread.

Reactions: pezpunk and varank

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You're just making stuff up. Numbers don't show Bossy as an equal to Ovechkin to goalscoring. I mean, gosh, just head over to the History of Hockey board and read up there. No one with any credibility would say that Bossy is as accomplished a scorer.

Or go to hockey reference and compare their respective top 10 and top 5 finishes as goal scorers. No one made this argument but your imagination.

Bossy's first nine seasons match up very well with OV's first nine seasons, and Bossy clearly has the better playoff resume, one of the best goalscoring playoff resumes ever. OV clearly beats him in longevity and is appropriately rated above him but Bossy should be in the 2nd tier of goalscorers.

Reactions: Sam Spade

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Im starting to think we need a new term.

99, 66, 4 can all be upgraded to "legendary" status.

Guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Jagr can be generational

I agree. I dont think we will ever see players so far above the pack as the 3 you mentioned. Part of it s because those three were so special, but also I think the way the game has changed, players have evolved and coaches have evolved will also make it harder for players to stand out like that.

So I agree. Generational players only come around once every so often, but their achievements can be matched.

Reactions: Laineux

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Bossy's first nine seasons match up very well with OV's first nine seasons, and Bossy clearly has the better playoff resume, one of the best goalscoring playoff resumes ever. OV clearly beats him in longevity and is appropriately rated above him but Bossy should be in the 2nd tier of goalscorers.
Except when it comes to hardware and impact, Ovi clearly comes out on top. His 2008-10 peak was better than anything Bossy had done.

Bossy was also on a clearly better team, centered by a player arguably better than him.....stop putting team success to one individual, it takes a team to win a cup and Bossy was a part of one of the greatest dynasty’s ever. And please, don’t start with the whole “he wasn’t some passenger!” Nonesense. He was a huge contributor to those cups, but he still had a team that Ovi could only dream of.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
To the OP's question: You don't?

When Ovechkin is gone and you're left with "generational" talents Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews and their 30-40 goals per season, maybe then you will understand what you have witnessed the last 12 plus seasons.

So you're telling me Laine isn't the next Ovi?

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
South Philly
no, I don't believe he is a generational talent. IMO he's in that next grouping of Superstar/1st ballot HOF'er

Hi Steve,

Who is the best goal scorer of this generation? Hell, the past 20 years? You have to go back to Lemieux in 2000-2001 to find that level of goal scoring talent.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So you're telling me Laine isn't the next Ovi?

I love Laine, he's my favorite player and I see a lot of potential in him but I'd honestly be pleasantly surprised if he becomes Selanne level player. But OV? No way. Ovechkin is one of the absolute greatest ever. Not only a upper tier Hall of Famer but part of a select group who became embedded in to the DNA of the NHL.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Is he the best player of the last 20 years? If the answer is yes, then he is generational.

That's kind of a harsh definition though. When Gretzky was playing he was by and far the greatest player but that doesn't mean Mario isn't top-4 all-time/generational talent.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Ovechkin for me is overrated. He's a great scorer, but I don't think of him as a great 'player'. He's like the David Ortiz of hockey, the designated scorer.

But I like him so we'll let his faults slide by.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Yes easily. The guy got 14 individual NHL-trophies. And could pocket another Richard this year as well as some other nominations if he runs hot.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Hi Steve,

Who is the best goal scorer of this generation? Hell, the past 20 years? You have to go back to Lemieux in 2000-2001 to find that level of goal scoring talent.

Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of the generation. I don't consider the best "goalscorer" of a generation as generational. IMO it drastically dilutes the term when you put pin point a particular skill. Obviously I'm exaggerating here but could you, in theory, have a generational grinder or fighter? Generational passer or right winger?

IMO "generational" is all encompassing once in a generation talent.

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
South Philly
Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of the generation. I don't consider the best "goalscorer" of a generation as generational. IMO it drastically dilutes the term when you put pin point a particular skill. Obviously I'm exaggerating here but could you, in theory, have a generational grinder or fighter? Generational passer or right winger?

IMO "generational" is all encompassing once in a generation talent.

Well, sure, many subcategories could end up being silly in respect to the term. Having said that, points, goals and defense are the current criteria for determining whether a forward is "generational". Ovechkin definitely fits the bill in goals and total points. Sure, his defense sucks, but his otherworldly goalscoring ability makes up for that.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Well, sure, many subcategories could end up being silly in respect to the term. Having said that, points, goals and defense are the current criteria for determining whether a forward is "generational". Ovechkin definitely fits the bill in goals and total points. Sure, his defense sucks, but his otherworldly goalscoring ability makes up for that.

I certainly can't dispute his goal scoring abilities. To provide clarity, my list of generational players include Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr..... that's about it. I look at those 3 and say that I don't believe anyone else was ever on their level.

This conversation always comes up and I respect peoples decision to agree/disagree but the actual term generational would suggest a"once in a generation" - not the best player of a generation but someone who's talent is only seen once in a generation and not necessarily every generation. Typically a generation is 25-35 years (the gap between child and parent) but for athletes a career is 10-20 years. So, using that time frame I don't think you could look back and say Ovi has been better than everyone else for the past 10-15 years, definitely not drastically better. To be fair, he's probably not even been the best forward during his career. You could certainly argue that statement however, IMO Sid is a better and obviously more accomplished player. FYI, I don't consider Sid generational either but both are first ballot HOF'ers.

Also, people on here (not you but others) have stated there are 2-4 or more generational players all playing at the same time. This is an oxymoron. If your talent transcends a generation then you shouldn't have multiple players with equivalent talent.

Finally, McDavid could possibly get there....his raw talent is better than anyone's already, but who knows? Time will tell.

Reactions: McDavidMania

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm not convinced either Crosby or Ovechkin are generational, but if one is, it's Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->