Do you agree with THN that Ovechkin is a better prospect than Lehtonen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Huh??

Who has already played at the world championships with mens?
Who played at the world cup??

Who plays in the RSL?? the best league after the NHL??

Of course Lehtonen.... :lol

Wasnt Lehtonen the backup for Finland in the WC?...if so....and seeing how AO only played a couple/few games and limited ice time to boot...I'd say its pretty close as far as who has proven more......

that said I would take Ovechkin for sure

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
That´s because his eye injury...

I know he had an eye injury. There are many factors that affect a players career, and injuries are one of them. Koivu will never be as good as he'd been without his injury. I never say that, but it's true. I just asuume people have a basic knowledge of things here. Berards case is one of them (which I assume people here know).

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Mothra said:
Wasnt Lehtonen the backup for Finland in the WC?...if so....and seeing how AO only played a couple/few games and limited ice time to boot...I'd say its pretty close as far as who has proven more......

that said I would take Ovechkin for sure

He was the 3rd golie.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
People are saying that Lehtonen is better than Ovechkin because he is a goalie, and therefore, more important. I find it completely opposite. The difference between the best goalie in the league and the worst is not gigantic. Don't give me a bunch of crap about stats, because that is very indicative of the defense they have. There is a plethora of good goalies out there. It is alot easier to find a good goltender than it is a potential 80-100 point forward. A majority of goalies have about the same abilities, but their defense helps their stats. There are just an abundance of good goalies out there, but not alot of good scorers. Lehtonen could become one of the greatest goltenders in the history of the NHL, but Ovechkin could become one of the greatest forwards in the history of the NHL. In a day and age where star forwards are nearly impossible to find, I'll take Ovechkin.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Broadway Crosby said:
People are saying that Lehtonen is better than Ovechkin because he is a goalie, and therefore, more important. I find it completely opposite. The difference between the best goalie in the league and the worst is not gigantic. Don't give me a bunch of crap about stats, because that is very indicative of the defense they have. There is a plethora of good goalies out there. It is alot easier to find a good goltender than it is a potential 80-100 point forward.

I really do agree with that comment. I am a Flyers fan and I really do like Robert Esche. However, he really was a journeyman goaltender before the Boucher trade and look at him now. I think good goaltending is pretty overrated, if you look at all of the "elite" goaltenders in the NHL, pretty much all of them play in great defensive systems.

Ovechkin is about a 1 in 5-10 year prospect in my opinion, he really could turn into something incredible.

I really like Lehtonen a lot though and I think the Thrashers played their cards very wisely in taking him. If I'm Atlanta, I take Lehtonen over Ovechkin any day of the week because I already have two great young forwards in Kovalchuk and Heatley.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
FlyHigh said:
I really do agree with that comment. I am a Flyers fan and I really do like Robert Esche. However, he really was a journeyman goaltender before the Boucher trade and look at him now. I think good goaltending is pretty overrated, if you look at all of the "elite" goaltenders in the NHL, pretty much all of them play in great defensive systems.

Ovechkin is about a 1 in 5-10 year prospect in my opinion, he really could turn into something incredible.

I really like Lehtonen a lot though and I think the Thrashers played their cards very wisely in taking him. If I'm Atlanta, I take Lehtonen over Ovechkin any day of the week because I already have two great young forwards in Kovalchuk and Heatley.
I agree with you that the Thrashers should take Lehtonen over Ovy, but when I answered the question, I asked myself if I would take Ovechkin or Lehtonen if I were to start a franchise. I took Ovechkin, because, like I said earlier, it's easy to get good goaltending, but near impossible to get good scorers.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
FlyHigh said:

Huh??

So what kind of prospect is crosby?? 10-15 years??

or Kovalchuk?? thought around 10 years....

there r thornton, lecavalier, luongo, nash, heatley,...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :dunno:

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Huh??

So what kind of prospect is crosby?? 10-15 years??

or Kovalchuk?? thought around 10 years....

there r thornton, lecavalier, luongo, nash, heatley,...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :dunno:

yeah, i'myin that i think Ovechkin has the potential to be better than most of the guys you mentioned there except for crosby. thornton, vinny, nash, and heatley are very talented players, but i think Ovechkin has potential to be better than those players.

CH Wizard

I'd take Lehtonen over Ovechkin !

Franchise goalie > Franchise forward.Franchise goalies these days are more useful.
They're also rare to find.

It ain't true that Lehtonen proved more things then Ovechkin.Ovechkin is one of the best player with Dynamo.He proved that He's a very good player overall.JHe proved that He can dominate WHILE PLAYING VS MENS ! :teach:. He's so consistent,He's also one of the best player in the U20 tournament.He's the captain of team Russia.He'll maybe lead his team to the silver or gold medal.

Sure , Lethonen is playing in the AHL.He proved that He can dominate now at every level.I'm simply saying that it's not fair to say that Letho is more proven.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Great One said:
I'd take Lehtonen over Ovechkin !

Franchise goalie > Franchise forward.Goalie these days are more useful.
They're also rare to find.
Goalies of Lehtonen's caliber certainly are, but good ones are not.

I'd take the forward. It's a position you can stockpile at. You can never have enough franchise skaters, but you are limited to the number of franchise goaltenders you can have.

Let me put it this way, I'd choose Ovechkin and put the trust in my scouting staff that they could find me another Kiprusoff or Turco for relatively little expense.

Last edited:

CH Wizard

Jacobv2 said:
Goalies of Lehtonen's caliber certainly are, but good ones are not.

I'd take the forward. It's a position you can stockpile at. You can never have enough franchise skaters, but you are limited to the number of franchise goaltenders you can have.

Well , I know good ones aren't rare but I mean I'd take a franchise goalie like Lehto to start building a franchise. :teach:

Good forwards aren't very hard to find either to help your team.You can some via free agency to help your team right away if you really lack of offence.

If I'd have the choice to take a franchise goalie or a franchise winger to help me dominate the league for the next 10 years.I'd take the franchise goalie.

The goalie is always playing a very big role in your team.Goalies are facing like 30 shots a day in the NHL.Good defence/offence or not , the goalie has always to make key saves to keep your team in the game.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Newsguyone said:
I am leary of all goaltending prospects.
So much of goaltending is about focus, discipline, emotional stability, and technique.
So much of that can be learned. Seems like great goalies come out of nowhere every year.
Things that Ovechkin posses are unteachable.

So I'm going with Ovechkin.

i dont think i could have said it better myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad