Do you agree with THN that Ovechkin is a better prospect than Lehtonen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makarov

Jun 10, 2002
Montreal, QC
Visit site
kingpest19 said:
Wouldnt this be due more to the fact that the AHL has age and veteran restrictions as well as the fact that theres 10x more money to be made playing in the RSL?

Regardless of the reasons, the RSL and SEL are the best leagues in the world today; Diablo probably went a bit overboard with the 5x comment but he is right in saying that the RSL is far superior to the AHL...

Suggesting that Lethonen will be among the greatest goalies is a little naive and premature, especially since he has yet to get a full NHL season under his belt...

I agree with Vlad though, goalie and skaters should not be ranked together...

But a good question to ask yourself would be:

If Ovechkin and Lethonen were in the same draft, what player would the Thrasher has picked?

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Evilo said:
Of course, 5 times is stretching it. But the RSL is way better than the AHL.
As for Ovechkin more proven, well simply put, Ovechkin has been a star in the toughest league outside the NHL.
Lehtonen has been a star everywhere he's been of course, but he hasn't played at the RSL level yet (if you except his 4 NHL games).

So if you really want to compare both's "proven status", I'd say Ovechkin has proven more.
But it's a moot point anyway. I just wanted to point out that Lehtonen has not "proven" more than Ovechkin.

Anyway, I'm very high on Lehtonen as well, but I might be the only person on earth who ranked him higher than Fleury before last season (yes even after he was drafted by Pittsburgh), and ranks him lower than him this year.
Not so much because I was disapointed in him (Lehtonen was as good as I expected him to be), but mostly because I never thought an 18 year old goalie could dominate some NHL games behind one of the worst defenses in the history of the game. Fleury was an amazement for me last season.

It's true, that Ovechkin has played very well in the RSL this year. To me, dominating at age 18 in one of the top leagues in Europe as a goaltender the way Lehtonen did, is more impressive. As you said though, MAF played absolutely fantastically in the NHL last year (at first I mean), but he hasn't been able to bounce back from that.

It's a matter of opinion. Mine just differs from yours, no point arguing about it anymore than this. It might even be that my nationality affects my opinion. Don't think it does, but you can't count out that factor. :dunno:

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Makarov said:
If Ovechkin and Lethonen were in the same draft, what player would the Thrasher has picked?

It was Evilo, who said that RSL=5*AHL BTW...

Don't think Thrashers would have had the choice between Lehtonen and Ovechkin that year...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Diaboli said:

Don't think Thrashers would have had the choice between Lehtonen and Ovechkin that year...

It's obviously easier to dominate men as an 18 yr old netminder. Where's the physicality?

Ovechkin was playing in the best men's league outside of the NHL at *16*, and voted the equivalent of an All-Star at age 18.

I couldn't be any higher on Lehtonen, but I have to side w/Ovechkin.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Diaboli said:
Just had to make sure :)

Just a note: What I've seen of Lehtonen has been the most impressive show of goaltending talent since Roy or Hasek. Every save he makes seem *well* within his range of ability. It really is remarkable to watch. Atlanta is talent rich.

Makarov

Jun 10, 2002
Montreal, QC
Visit site
Diaboli said:

My apologies to you Sir...

The question was hypothetical, give the Thrashers the top pick, they have an option between Lethonen and Ovechkin; who would they draft...

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Evilo said:
Anyway, I'm very high on Lehtonen as well, but I might be the only person on earth who ranked him higher than Fleury before last season (yes even after he was drafted by Pittsburgh), and ranks him lower than him this year.
Not so much because I was disapointed in him (Lehtonen was as good as I expected him to be), but mostly because I never thought an 18 year old goalie could dominate some NHL games behind one of the worst defenses in the history of the game. Fleury was an amazement for me last season.

I followed the goalies pretty closely over the last two years and I don't remember anytime when Fleury was rated higher than Lehtonen, especially before Fleury was drafted. The majority of opinion said Lehtonen was more talented than Fleury before Fleury was drafted. The only time the opinion might have changed a bit was when Fleury had a hot start in the NHL in October/November of last season.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Makarov said:

The question was hypothetical, give the Thrashers the top pick, they have an option between Lethonen and Ovechkin; who would they draft...

:D It was a joke, don't take it seriously ;)

I think they'd take Lehtonen. Not because they think he's better, but because they needed a franchise goalie. I know he's not one yet, but I'm 99% sure that in a few years he will be. And because they already had a franchise LW in Kovalchuk. Just my opinion, feel free to shoot me down.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
I agree. If Thrashers had a choice between Lehtonen and Ovechkin that draft, i am pretty sure they would have taken Lehtonen. They already had Kovalchuk and Heatley in the fold and needed a dominating potential netminder. Don Waddell stated before the draft that he scouted Lehtonen personally for tons of games and thought he was the best goalie prospect he had ever seen.

Waddell also has stated that his intention was to draft Lehtonen all along in that draft, even if Rick Nash was available. Lehtonen was #1 on their ranking charts that year by a mile.

Last edited:

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
when comparing the two, i don't see there being a deffinate answer as to who is the better prospect. it's really a matter of preference.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Makarov said:

I'd pick the forward, especially when I feel he can jump right in with my team a few months after the draft.

bruins4777*

LaVal575 said:
when comparing the two, i don't see there being a deffinate answer as to who is the better prospect. it's really a matter of preference.
This is a great point.

Although being a goalie fan, i guess thats why i'm so biased towards Lehts. I still think lehts has done more and is better now and has a higher potential, but meh.

Makarov

Jun 10, 2002
Montreal, QC
Visit site
Diaboli said:
:D It was a joke, don't take it seriously ;)

I think they'd take Lehtonen. Not because they think he's better, but because they needed a franchise goalie. I know he's not one yet, but I'm 99% sure that in a few years he will be. And because they already had a franchise LW in Kovalchuk. Just my opinion, feel free to shoot me down.

I agree, its always said among the NHL hierarchy that when building a franchise, start with a goalie who has the potential to carry your team...

Lethonen would certainly have been my choice too, but that in no way means he's the better prospect, but more so a prospect who can fill perhaps the most important position on any team...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Taxman said:
I followed the goalies pretty closely over the last two years and I don't remember anytime when Fleury was rated higher than Lehtonen, especially before Fleury was drafted. The majority of opinion said Lehtonen was more talented than Fleury before Fleury was drafted. The only time the opinion might have changed a bit was when Fleury had a hot start in the NHL in October/November of last season.
Well, maybe it was the canadian bias, but around the draft, Fleury WAS rated higher than Lehtonen among at least 50% of the posters here. I didn't agree with that at the time. Now however, after seeing Fleury play the way he did at 18... I have my doubts...

AgentNaslund*

I think Ovechkin is better then Lethonen. No doubt about it. Ovechkin over Lethonen for me.

Im chosing him, because Im chosing star power. Guys like Ovechkin does not come by very often, while solid goaltending prospects come by every now and then.
94 Nabokov
95 Kippursoff
95 Biron
97 Luongo
2001 BlackBurn
2002 Lethonon
2003 Fleury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
AgentNaslund said:
I think Ovechkin is better then Lethonen. No doubt about it. Ovechkin over Lethonen for me.

Im chosing him, because Im chosing star power. Guys like Ovechkin does not come by very often, while solid goaltending prospects come by every now and then.
94 Nabokov
95 Kippursoff
95 Biron
97 Luongo
2001 BlackBurn
2002 Lethonon
2003 Fleury.

97 Thornton
98 Lecavalier
2000 Heatley
2001 Kovalchuk
2002 Nash
2003 Zherdev
2004 Malkin

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Dempsey said:
97 Thornton
98 Lecavalier
2000 Heatley
2001 Kovalchuk
2002 Nash
2003 Zherdev
2004 Malkin
Man, Patrick Bateman is GOD!!!

Best movie ever!!! :yo:

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
AgentNaslund said:
Guys like Ovechkin does not come by very often, while solid goaltending prospects come by every now and then.
94 Nabokov
95 Kippursoff
95 Biron
97 Luongo
2001 BlackBurn
2002 Lethonon
2003 Fleury.

You can't be serious with this. You can never know for sure what you get. Nabokov was a 9th rounder. You think he'd dropped that far if people knew how good he will be? Biron is no where near Lehtonen or MAF or Luongo or... Blackburn seems to be a lost cause.

You said, that something "special" like Ovechkin doesn't come by that often.
Well how about this:

1994: #1 Jovanovski, Alfredsson on 6th round
1995: #1 Berard (hasn't been special), #11 Iginla
1996: #1 Phillips (pretty good, but not special), Chara on 3rd round
1997: #1 Thornton, #2 Marleau
1998: #1 Lecavalier, Richards on 3rd round
1999: #1 Stefan (highly touted, but hasn't been special), Zetterberg on 7th round
2000: #1 DiPietro (goalie), #2 Heatley and #3 Gaborik
2001: #1 Kovalchuk, Zidlicky on 6th round
2002: #1 Nash, #4 Pitkänen
2003: #1 MAF (goalie), #4 Zherdev

As you can see, almost every year there is a very special guy on top of the list. I also took from the early drafts some late rounders (one per draft) except for 1995, 'cause Iginla is very special. You could take also guys like Handzus or Kapanen from -95. Later once are too hard to tell yet about the late rounders.

As you look backthe drafts, they don't really support your argument, that special guys like Ovechkin don't come around every year. Not true. There are several franchise players drafted from the later rounds too. MG, Alfredsson was a 6th rounder! You'd think he'd been drafted a bit higher, if you know what you get with every player.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Diaboli said:
You can't be serious with this. You can never know for sure what you get. Nabokov was a 9th rounder. You think he'd dropped that far if people knew how good he will be? Biron is no where near Lehtonen or MAF or Luongo or... Blackburn seems to be a lost cause.

You said, that something "special" like Ovechkin doesn't come by that often.
Well how about this:

1994: #1 Jovanovski, Alfredsson on 6th round
1995: #1 Berard (hasn't been special), #11 Iginla
1996: #1 Phillips (pretty good, but not special), Chara on 3rd round
1997: #1 Thornton, #2 Marleau
1998: #1 Lecavalier, Richards on 3rd round
1999: #1 Stefan (highly touted, but hasn't been special), Zetterberg on 7th round
2000: #1 DiPietro (goalie), #2 Heatley and #3 Gaborik
2001: #1 Kovalchuk, Zidlicky on 6th round
2002: #1 Nash, #4 Pitkänen
2003: #1 MAF (goalie), #4 Zherdev

As you can see, almost every year there is a very special guy on top of the list. I also took from the early drafts some late rounders (one per draft) except for 1995, 'cause Iginla is very special. You could take also guys like Handzus or Kapanen from -95. Later once are too hard to tell yet about the late rounders.

As you look backthe drafts, they don't really support your argument, that special guys like Ovechkin don't come around every year. Not true. There are several franchise players drafted from the later rounds too. MG, Alfredsson was a 6th rounder! You'd think he'd been drafted a bit higher, if you know what you get with every player.

That´s because his eye injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad