Do we overrate Ryan Reaves?

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Not saying he's not the best fighter in the NHL now and hasn't been for the last few seasons but looking at his fight card he hasn't really fought that many heavies. What I mean is he's not a Lucic type who can play lots of minutes score and fight I see him more as a Thornton or an Orr or a McGratton.

Looking at his card he fought McGratton and lost, fought John Scott and lost, fought Parros and lost. Few of the other "known" heavies he has fought and lost. I mean I feel if he went a few rounds with each it could be even.

Question is do we overrate him or is he just a player stuck in an era where enforcers and guys like him are scarce?

Reactions: Hagstrom

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
He is possibly the best fighter in the league. His power and style is extremely effective in fights.

I would love to see him go at it with Lucic (I hate that guy).

He is not by any means a star player or a top 6 forward. He is a grinder and strong depth player who will protect team mates when necessary.

I don't see him as a dirty player but like you said a little bit of a dying breed. Sometimes old school hockey is needed and he helps with that.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
My thing with Reaves (and i like him) is that he puts on an act now that the likes of Peluso, McGrattan, Orr, Scott etc are out of the league. He will beat up an average fighter and stare down the bench... He would never do that before. He's a damn good fighter, and even when those guys were in the league he was top 5-7 I'd say, now that they're gone there's pretty much no one to dethrone him from the #1 spot outside of Lucic, maybe.

It's funny, Reaves stares down benches and laughs, but that's the state of the game right now... No one is going to do a damn thing about it.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
My thing with Reaves (and i like him) is that he puts on an act now that the likes of Peluso, McGrattan, Orr, Scott etc are out of the league. He will beat up an average fighter and stare down the bench... He would never do that before. He's a damn good fighter, and even when those guys were in the league he was top 5-7 I'd say, now that they're gone there's pretty much no one to dethrone him from the #1 spot outside of Lucic, maybe.

It's funny, Reaves stares down benches and laughs, but that's the state of the game right now... No one is going to do a damn thing about it.
I agree with you. Reaves very much fits the whole "Big fish in a small pond" thing these days. There are not many guys left that have a realistic shot of beating him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If the Pens had traded him for a 4th rounder, we wouldn't even have this discussion. But trading down 20 spots from the first round to second round, fans have to justify the trade. Not saying his "intangibles" aren't worth it, but it was the trading of the 1st rounder that seems to garner the attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->