Do these guys belong in the Hall of Fame?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The only one on the list that should get inducted is Robitaille, he is a lock. Recchi might end up in the hall someday like Duff, R.Conacher, B.Bauer, B.Cook. BrindAmour has a chance as well in the long run.

Duff for sure and Bun Cook I can see as arguable but not Bobby Bauer or Roy Conacher. Bauer had a short career but in that time he had 4 2nd team all-stars. He was part of the famous Kraut line. Conacher had a good peak as well. I've never heard an argument for either of those two to be ommitted from the Hall

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
I was trying to say that these guys were admitted in the hall a long time after their careers were over...We might see the same thing happen for guys like Recchi, Gilmour, Bure, etc. Like the Veterans Comitee in baseball.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Robitaille's a lock. If there's going to be a snub from 2009 (Yzerman, Hull, Leetch, Robitaille), it'll be Luc, but he gets in quickly. The career LW points stat is way overrated, and I would be hard-pressed to rank him in the top 10 LWs of all-time. (I'd also have a hard time putting John Bucyk, who's No. 2, in the top 10, and Dave Andreychuk, who's No. 3, isn't even on the radar).

Recchi will get in. I would have a hard time supporting his induction, but I won't be upset like I would be if, say, Turgeon or Mogilny got in. Recchi has 1,300 points, he did it while playing a good, all-round game, he won two Cups and he had some excellent playoffs. A top-three finish in the scoring race (although it came in the highly forgettable 1999-2000 season), and several top 10 finishes. Drawback: The words "HHOFer Mark Recchi" just don't roll off the tongue.

LeClair belongs in the Hall of Stats, not the HHOF. He'll set a couple new standards (five all-star team births and leading the league in goals over a five-year span), but those are the sorts of things that are far from common knowledge. I think most people would be shocked to find out that LeClair had the most goals from 1995-1999. The five all-star births can partially be chalked up to the weakness at LW. If voters simply selected four wingers, or six forwards, for the all-star teams, LeClair might have one or two.

For most of his career, Brind'Amour was the prototype for the No. 2 centre. And if that isn't a strike against the guy, I don't know what is. No comparison between Brind'Amour and Francis. I'm a big Brind'Amour fan, terrific all-round forward, but that stereotypical No. 2 centre label will really hold him back. And I wouldn't vote for him even if he didn't have that label.

Gary Suter's a guy I've found a greater appreciation for since he retired. The one all-star birth can partially be chalked up to stiffer competition for all-star spots when he was at his peak. You might not like the guy. That's cool. But how many defencemen can play all aspects of the game like Suter could. Not many. I wouldn't put him in, but he's a guy I've gained a lot more respect for as the years have gone by, and honestly, I would lean towards inducting him over Phil Housley.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The career LW points stat is way overrated, and I would be hard-pressed to rank him in the top 10 LWs of all-time. (I'd also have a hard time putting John Bucyk, who's No. 2, in the top 10, and Dave Andreychuk, who's No. 3, isn't even on the radar).

I'm curious, which ten LWs do you have ranked higher than the Chief?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Recchi- a cup with Pittsburgh as the old man of the team should do it, but right now he's close

Leclair-I like him but I don't think so

Brindamour- Get Carolina to the finals again would probably do it, another Cup and he's in for sure, people will have to remember how hard he is to play against

Robitaille- yes

Suter- no, ignoring all the baggage...still no, one level down

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Not GBC, but, here's my list:

1. Bobby Hull
2. Ted Lindsay
3. Valeri Kharlamov
4. Frank Mahovalich
5. Cy Denneny
6. Dickie Moore
7. Aurel Joliat
8. Toe Blake
9. Busher Jackson
10. Hmm, gonna have to put Bucyk in the #10 spot.

I agree with your list and I'd take Doug Bentley ahead of Bucyk too. You could make an argument for Sweeney Schriner.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Not GBC, but, here's my list:

1. Bobby Hull
2. Ted Lindsay
3. Valeri Kharlamov
4. Frank Mahovalich
5. Cy Denneny
6. Dickie Moore
7. Aurel Joliat
8. Toe Blake
9. Busher Jackson
10. Hmm, gonna have to put Bucyk in the #10 spot.

OK, that's a solid list. I think Bucyk's longevity pushes him ahead of Jackson and Blake, but that's debatable. Jackson had a great peak, but was pretty ordinary outside of those 5 or so seasons. Blake is kind of a funny case. His prime years were played during WWII, yet he wasn't generally considered the best or even second-best LW, if you go by all-star teams as evidence. But in the years before and after the war, he has several all-star berths and a Hart. It's almost like he had a bit of a lull right in the middle of his career, but it's disguised by his somewhat inflated "war-stats".

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
My top-10 list (if I can count Kharlamov):

1. Bobby Hull (If you don't have Hull at No. 1, please report to pappyline for an immediate correction)
2. Ted Lindsay
3. Frank Mahovlich
4. Valeri Kharlamov
5. Dickie Moore
6. Doug Bentley (An admitted bias here, my extended family was close with the Bentleys. Max Bentley was my grandma's favourite player).
7. Toe Blake
8. Busher Jackson
9. Sweeney Schriner
10. Aurel Joliat

Bucyk is really close with Schriner and Joliat. But that top eight is pretty cemented IMO. I'm a Bucyk fan, but I think he was really overrated in the THN top 100.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I agree with your list and I'd take Doug Bentley ahead of Bucyk too. You could make an argument for Sweeney Schriner.
I thought about those two, but have them 11th and 12th. I have Firsov 13th.
OK, that's a solid list. I think Bucyk's longevity pushes him ahead of Jackson and Blake, but that's debatable. Jackson had a great peak, but was pretty ordinary outside of those 5 or so seasons. Blake is kind of a funny case. His prime years were played during WWII, yet he wasn't generally considered the best or even second-best LW, if you go by all-star teams as evidence. But in the years before and after the war, he has several all-star berths and a Hart. It's almost like he had a bit of a lull right in the middle of his career, but it's disguised by his somewhat inflated "war-stats".

Weird thing about Bucyk is that he wasn't a top LW until very late in his career. Largely due to his sub-standard line-mates though.

Jackson was the highest goal scorer from 31-40, as shown previously in the thread, so, longevity didn't hurt him that much.

Blake just seems like a more dangerous player than Bucyk, to me at least. The Art Ross and Hart are the deal breakers.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
My top-10 list (if I can count Kharlamov):

1. Bobby Hull (If you don't have Hull at No. 1, please report to pappyline for an immediate correction)
2. Ted Lindsay
3. Frank Mahovlich
4. Valeri Kharlamov
5. Dickie Moore
6. Doug Bentley (An admitted bias here, my extended family was close with the Bentleys. Max Bentley was my grandma's favourite player).
7. Toe Blake
8. Busher Jackson
9. Sweeney Schriner
10. Aurel Joliat

Bucyk is really close with Schriner and Joliat. But that top eight is pretty cemented IMO. I'm a Bucyk fan, but I think he was really overrated in the THN top 100.

No love for Denneny? He only won one scoring title, but, was 2nd in scoring 5 times.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
No love for Denneny? He only won one scoring title, but, was 2nd in scoring 5 times.
He did it at a time when the NHL wasn't the best league in the world. That's why I always have concerns about those who dominated the NHL in the early-to-mid 20s. The guys who carried over their success to the late 20s have their status greatly elevated in my eyes.

Denneny warrants consideration in the top 10, but I think he comes up short. Good bet for the top 20, with Bucyk and Robitaille.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Weird thing about Bucyk is that he wasn't a top LW until very late in his career. Largely due to his sub-standard line-mates though.

The Chief had some tough competition in his career. When you have Hull and Mahovlich to compete with at the LW level you're not going to get many all-star births. Granted he didnt. Only one second team all-star in '68 and a first team in '71. You could say Orr and Espo helped that but Bucyk was a good scorer earlier on even on some brutal Bruins teams. Go ahead and look at his point totals in the late 50s and pre-Orr 60s. He's up there some years.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Robitallie-lock

None of the rest will/should make it.

Recchi is the epitome of a complete hockey player, but that isn't good enough for a Hall of Fame career. A HOF player should have been one of the very best for quite a long time. Recchi was never even close to that. He was just a very good player for his entire career.

Suter: HA HA HA!!!! A decent player who was dirty should not even be considered, but since the Hockey Hall of Fame is becoming the Hall of Pretty Good these days, some of these guys will sneak in. Too bad for the game and the Hall.

BrindAmour: :huh: What are you thinking? Another good player, but Hall of Fame? :shakehead

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The Chief had some tough competition in his career. When you have Hull and Mahovlich to compete with at the LW level you're not going to get many all-star births. Granted he didnt. Only one second team all-star in '68 and a first team in '71. You could say Orr and Espo helped that but Bucyk was a good scorer earlier on even on some brutal Bruins teams. Go ahead and look at his point totals in the late 50s and pre-Orr 60s. He's up there some years.

That's what I'm saying, his numbers were always very solid, but for most of the 60's he was expected to carry the Bruins.

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I love me some Luc, but I agree that there has never been anyone better at the LW position than Bobby Hull. If he doesn't leave for the WHA, he probably scores in the neighborhood of 900 goals.

That being said, it'll be an absolute travesty if Luc isn't a first ballot entry into the Hall of Fame. NO ONE loved this game more than Luc. That love may be equaled but will never be surpassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad