Speculation: Do the Sabres make the playoffs this year?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
New question:

Will the Sabres even stay within striking distance?

I really don't think anyone can say until around the 20 game mark. Usually 1/4 of the season is enough to get a good idea on where this team is at. Obviously I don't think there is even a chance at playoffs with the way they are currently playing.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think we should focus on the more important goal of just winning one game.

They're not gonna win tomorrow. I am almost positive of that.

Vegas is where they have to get a W...like they have to...right?

Reactions: Sabres

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I didn't see the 2 games in Cali - turns out my Center Ice wasn't renewed. Wife is fixing that. I told her she didn't have to. She said it's only $100. I suppose that's cheaper than Xanax. Anyway...

Anyone here expect:
MTL to have only one win to date (against BUF)?
NJD & LVK to be out of the gate hot?
PIT to have 7 points after 6 games, despite a -5 goal differential?

There's 75 more games for the usual suspects to throw Lehner and Reinhart under the bus, or crucify Tim Murray in absentia.

OTOH, I would not expect other teams with 10 new members (even Pominville's new to this particular team), a new coach, and a new system to have all 25 players firing perfectly on 6 cylinders after a few weeks together. I'd expect they may even look like utter crap while doing it, as if they forgot how to play hockey 1-on-1, or as part of a D-pairing, or forward line, or 5-man skating unit. And all that crappy play even without excessive injuries.

Step back from the ledge, and let's assess at Thanksgiving.

~150 possible points remain, teams will need 60-66% of them to make the playoffs. Some who are off to a solid start will falter, others off to a poor start will make the playoffs.

I am not panicked, any more that I would assume a hot start by BUF would guarantee they'd make the playoffs, or if they did, that they would persevere beyond a first round.

Perspective.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I didn't see the 2 games in Cali - turns out my Center Ice wasn't renewed. Wife is fixing that. I told her she didn't have to. She said it's only $100. I suppose that's cheaper than Xanax. Anyway...

Anyone here expect:
MTL to have only one win to date (against BUF)?

NJD & LVK to be out of the gate hot?
PIT to have 7 points after 6 games, despite a -5 goal differential?

There's 75 more games for the usual suspects to throw Lehner and Reinhart under the bus, or crucify Tim Murray in absentia.

OTOH, I would not expect other teams with 10 new members (even Pominville's new to this particular team), a new coach, and a new system to have all 25 players firing perfectly on 6 cylinders after a few weeks together. I'd expect they may even look like utter crap while doing it, as if they forgot how to play hockey 1-on-1, or as part of a D-pairing, or forward line, or 5-man skating unit. And all that crappy play even without excessive injuries.

Step back from the ledge, and let's assess at Thanksgiving.

~150 possible points remain, teams will need 60-66% of them to make the playoffs. Some who are off to a solid start will falter, others off to a poor start will make the playoffs.

I am not panicked, any more that I would assume a hot start by BUF would guarantee they'd make the playoffs, or if they did, that they would persevere beyond a first round.

Perspective.

That one doesn't surprise me. I hate their team, between what's on their NHL team and their prospect pool there's not another NHL team I would hate to be a fan of more than Montreal. Anything less than stellar play from Price and they are a bottom feeder.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I said in the GDT yesterday: There will be a first win streak. There will be a stretch of games where they look like they get the system. There will be a spurt where the struggling players start connecting again.

That's when we'll get a good look. If that streak is short, unimpressive, and reverts back to crap again immediately, that's where the team is probably going to stay. If they're able to build off their success, there's a bunch of games left this season, last I checked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad