Speculation: Do the Sabres make the playoffs this year?

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
My honest estimation is that they are a bubble team that finish just outside the playoffs. But with that being said I think they make huge strides this year. If you think yes...who are the Eastern Conf playoff teams?

1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Montreal

1. Columbus
2. Pittsburg
3. Washington

WC1 Carolina
WC2 Ottawa

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto will be in, although none of them will be dominant. After that Buffalo will have to battle ahead of TB and maybe Boston, and whatever 5th place Metro team that will probably reach 90 pts. They have a shot but injuries will have to stop being such a huge issue. I can't remember when they had a relatively healthy season...maybe 2010.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I will be extremely disappointed if they don't have the season Toronto had last year, assuming injuries are not out of the ordinary. That means a bubble team, ~95 pts.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I will be extremely disappointed if they don't have the season Toronto had last year, assuming injuries are not out of the ordinary. That means a bubble team, ~95 pts.

Injuries will still be a problem. It's been so bad in recent years that I just assume they'll be worse off than the average team. Even if not, I suspect they'll start slow as they struggle to learn yet another new system. Maybe just the 1st month but it'll cost them a few pts they'll have to overcome with a hot streak somewhere.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Injuries will still be a problem. It's been so bad in recent years that I just assume they'll be worse off than the average team. Even if not, I suspect they'll start slow as they struggle to learn yet another new system. Maybe just the 1st month but it'll cost them a few pts they'll have to overcome with a hot streak somewhere.

I thought after Eichel came back they'd put together a hot streak - 8-2 or 7-3, but never happened. thankful now because it cost Bylsma his job and we got Mittelstadt as a reward.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Depends on how many liabilities are on the back end. I figure at least one less than last year, but Antipin, Beaulieu, and Bogosian are all wild cards.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
1-OTT
2-TB
3-TOR

1-PIT
2-CLB
3-WSH

The race for the wildcards will be insane. Too hard to say who will make it, but if Buffalo can be involved in that battle, the season is finally a step in the right direction.

For the purpose of this thread, and for the eternal hope that goes along with the beginning of a season, Im going to say Buffalo grabs the final WC.

A first round matchup vs Toronto is my dream for April 2018

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Montreal and Ottawa take a step back. Toronto isn't as lucky this year. Boston is a mess too. Wings are done. TB is the best team in the division. Florida is better.

I think the Sabres start off stronger than expected, lull a bit, then finally figure it out and get some surging help from Rochester and make it in the top three in the division by the end.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My honest estimation is that they are a bubble team that finish just outside the playoffs. But with that being said I think they make huge strides this year. If you think yes...who are the Eastern Conf playoff teams?

1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Montreal

1. Columbus
2. Pittsburg
3. Washington

WC1 Carolina
WC2 Ottawa

IMHO, there are two locks for the playoffs in the EC:

Pittsburgh
Washington

After that? It's literally a big grouping of teams with both NJ and Detroit rounding out the bottom of each division.

That's 12 teams for 6 spots.

Buffalo is in that 12 team group.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Montreal and Ottawa take a step back. Toronto isn't as lucky this year. Boston is a mess too. Wings are done. TB is the best team in the division. Florida is better.

I think the Sabres start off stronger than expected, lull a bit, then finally figure it out and get some surging help from Rochester and make it in the top three in the division by the end.

Florida is better? Not so sure. For the rest I mostly agree. Dont think Toronto will take a step back though. If Babcock manages to patch the D they should be better than what they were last season with all rookies having an extra years and some playoff experiemce.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
IMHO, there are two locks for the playoffs in the EC:

Pittsburgh
Washington

After that? It's literally a big grouping of teams with both NJ and Detroit rounding out the bottom of each division.

That's 12 teams for 6 spots.

Buffalo is in that 12 team group.

Tampa is pretty much a lock unless they lose Stamkos for the whole season yet again.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Montreal

1. Columbus
2. Pittsburg
3. Washington

WC1 Carolina
WC2 Ottawa

The division will be wide open. No team is a certain playoff team.

I ser buffali contending. The big factor is ely season health and gained confidence.

I don't see toronto making the playoffs.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Depends on soooo many things. Just the division alone:

Ottawa: can they repeat? Kinda seemed like a genie in a bottle. Can Karlsson stay healthy? Does losing Methot hurt more than we assume? Anderson is going to be 37, can he continue to play at his current level?

Montreal: Can Drouin or Galchenyuk become a top-line(ish) center?

Can Price stay healthy?

Between Weber-Alzner, are they getting too old/slow on the blue line?

Boston:
How much more does Chara regress?

Can Marchand repeat?

Can Bergeron & Kreji stay healthy?

Can Backes fight of the inveitabile decline that comes with age.

Will McAvoy carry out his great playoff through an entire season?

Toronto:
Can their trio repeat their rookie performances???

Can they possibly stay as healthy?

Will their defense be any better? Or more of the same?

Tampa Bay:

Stamkos???

Can Vasilevski hold it down between the pipes as the full time #1?

Doesn't Dan Girardi make them worse???

Florida:
Will Huberdeau and Barkov stay healthy?

Can Ekblad rebound?

How much does losing goals from Smith Marchessault, Jagr (and even Jokinen) hurt?

Will Luongo hit a wall? And if so, can't Riemer step up?

Detroit:
Ehh... they're gonna be bad.

Personally:
I think they'll probably miss. But if no one in the division really takes it by storm, and 2-3 of the other teams have 2-3 of their big issues really hurt them, then I think we could have a chance if everything works out well.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don't get the hate. We have our top-6 solid with one question at LW and lot's of players gunning for it and two top-6 centers who have shown they can even make Deslauriers look serviceable. We have key players down the middle in our bottom-6. We have 6 defenseman we'd actually like to play with Guhle looking to steal whoever faulters. Bunhc of people think Lehner is great.

If we aren't making playoffs now, not much is changing in the future other than exchanging Kane for Nylander/Middlestadt and more depth for injuries.. If we don't make the playoffs some major trades need to happen.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If they don't make the playoffs this year when the hell will they ever? There are too many talented players on this team to expect less than a solid playoff spot.

If it is another year of looking in from the outside, they did this rebuild wrong.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Re: other teams, very complex answer. Lots of variables for each team.

For the Sabres, here's what needs to happen for playoffs to be a thing:

1.) Housley's system unleashes a bunch of players due to the possession it generates.

2.) The potential of the defense is realized, even if only partially. In particular, Ristolainen becomes a #1D and isn't worn out due to usage. Bogosian becomes a viable top 4 D. Antipin proves to be an NHL puck mover. Beaulieu progresses.

3.) Player usage and combinations improve. ROR and Ristolainen aren't ground into pulp by February. Housley picks a structure for line combinations and goes with it toward player strengths.

4.) Lehner and CJ need to be an NHL starter/back-up duo, and not a train-wreck which torpedoes games.

5.) Some of the Rochester players need to advance and make an impact for the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad