Do players not play through injuries anymore (Nylander)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I wonder whether this condition was precipitated by something that happened in the last game against Tampa. I was actually pretty surprised the Leafs played their full team in what really was a meaningless game (standings wise) whereas the Oilers rested all of their top players to ensure nothing happens to them before the playoffs.

I don't know whether Nylander's situation is related to a possible concussion, but I remember years ago when Crosby was dealing with concussions and he said the resulting sensitivity to noise and light were overwhelming. And his family was encouraging him to perhaps hang up the skates, for the sake of a viable life after hockey. Crosby took a lot of time to rest and heal and certain he and his team and fans are better for it.

I know a lot of people can be very dismissive of migraines and headaches in general. It is true, that today's generation of young people generally are less tolerant of pain as a whole compared to the young people who stormed Normandy, etc. But I also think medical advances have been such that they can find correlations to other conditions that may be more serious, for which headaches/migraines were but only a symptom. Not too long ago I had migraines which were pretty debilitating, but being a single father, I just pushed through and went to work and drove the kids around, etc. Until the day I blacked out while driving. Went to the ER and turns out that it was a heart issue. I would have never connected it, but glad I got it checked out and took time to recover.

Not saying that's the case with Nylanders but his doctors should rightfully be cautious just to rule out something like concussions, etc.

Playing through physical injuries has always been something that has set aside the mental and physical toughness of NHL players to other sports. But I think medical science has gotten to the point where there can be a difference between playing through a physical injury without much ramifications and playing through an injury/condition for which the results can have long term permanent adverse and detrimental effects. I am not a fan of Nylander in the least (never liked him since he demanded that contract initially), but certainly, I don't wish for him to end up with a long term sustained injury which will affect his life later, if taking proper precautionary measures could have prevented it.

Reactions: hak and Rebels57

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Migraines are pretty serious. I get them pretty frequently myself and can empathize with what William Nylander is going through. I hope he recovers well from this issue.
This.

Migraines can be extremely debilitating.

Bright TV lights of an arena would also be a factor that hinders his ability to play through this injury.

I’m sure William is the first person that is struggling with him not able to play. I can’t fault him for this. I have a friend whose son had to retire from the NHL because of successive concussions. He’s under 40 and it’s still an issue for him, which affects his family in turn. It’s not always rosy.

@Summer Rose I hope you fight through your instances of migraines when they strike.

Cheers.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
Watching hockey for many years, you always hear about players playing through really tough injuries. Some players will block a puck with their face and be back the next game. Some players play through broken bones.

Is this some new age thing where players don't push through injuries? Why is Nylander not playing?

We keep hearing that he is a game time decision, so obviously the injury can't be that bad. Is Nylander just being soft or what is going on?
Nylander is part of the new "generational player" group that are entitled. They also play in a hockey world where the coach has to apologize to them for yelling at them.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Oftentimes, it is stupid to play through an injury. Not only do you risk aggravating the injury and hurting your team long-term, you're also going to play worse than normal. It's situational...sometimes, players have managed incredible performances while playing through significant pain, but other times, guys playing injured just play like garbage, and it benefits no one for the injured player to have dressed instead of a healthy replacement player.

• Love
Reactions: llamateizer

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
I don't know why they listen to device from stupid doctors and physicians .

Listen to the experts instead - obviously the tough guys here at HFboards knows much better. (and they also have much more info on the situation at hand)
and of course whipping boy Nylander is the scrape goat. How surprising.

Why havent mods closed this thread?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Seriously? I thought hfboards was better than this.

Actually questioning the integrity of a player without any knowledge of his condition..

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Seriously? I thought hfboards was better than this.

Actually questioning the integrity of a player without any knowledge of his condition..

l'm not. Par for the course in this place.

The next player who suffers an injury, no matter what it is, should play through it, right OP?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watching hockey for many years, you always hear about players playing through really tough injuries. Some players will block a puck with their face and be back the next game. Some players play through broken bones.

Is this some new age thing where players don't push through injuries? Why is Nylander not playing?

We keep hearing that he is a game time decision, so obviously the injury can't be that bad. Is Nylander just being soft or what is going on?
Is that your opinion after examining him in person and reading his chart, doctor?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I used to suffer from migraines when i was in my teens / early 20s

They are brutal to deal with. There is zero chance you could play hockey. A lot of people (myself included) also experience bad nausea along side migraines. I would have to lay in a completely dark / silent room and would get sick multiple times when I had really bad ones, my entire day was a write off. Opening my eyes was excruciating pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad