Do People Still Use Chiltons?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I used a huge Bentley manual (not the car) on my previous GTI in conjunction with the youtube videos. YT often forgets to give you torque specs for your fasteners.

Now that I have a new one I just use YT and various enthusiast sites.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've got one from many years ago for my '90s Mustang, the wiring diagrams come in very handy when you rip the engine harness out, lengthen it, and re-route it through the dash. Things like that which few people will ever need to know, you won't find videos about.

The Mustang community is gigantic and so many incredibly-detailed, color-coded, and easily attainable diagram images have been created to help people in the same way or better. Basically tech guys create images that tie various wiring harnesses together so you can see how things 'really work'. Those have been invaluable as well.

For my newer cars, I've been able to find/download the shop tech manuals from enthusiast sites just the same. While not Chilton's, they're mostly similar.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I've got one from many years ago for my '90s Mustang, the wiring diagrams come in very handy when you rip the engine harness out, lengthen it, and re-route it through the dash. Things like that which few people will ever need to know, you won't find videos about.

The Mustang community is gigantic and so many incredibly-detailed, color-coded, and easily attainable diagram images have been created to help people in the same way or better. Basically tech guys create images that tie various wiring harnesses together so you can see how things 'really work'. Those have been invaluable as well.

For my newer cars, I've been able to find/download the shop tech manuals from enthusiast sites just the same. While not Chilton's, they're mostly similar.

I would have loved something like that when I was working on my cousin's truck, trying to install a stereo. I found a basic wiring diagram, but the colour codes for the speakers were reused for other wires, in the SAME bundle of wires... and the wires would switch colours at different locations in the truck - ie, a green-green/black pair from the amplifier would change to a red/white-red/white pair at the door. And that original green-green/black pair met with other wires before making it to the door, and was bundled with two other green-green/black pairs.

It was seriously as if whoever engineered the truck's wiring was trying his hardest to **** off any aftermarket workers.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I used a huge Bentley manual (not the car) on my previous GTI in conjunction with the youtube videos. YT often forgets to give you torque specs for your fasteners.

Now that I have a new one I just use YT and various enthusiast sites.

Ya I just check car forums too. There's always someone knowledgeable about whatever it is you need to know

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ya I just check car forums too. There's always someone knowledgeable about whatever it is you need to know

I search the forums,check youtube and consult my manuals. A lot of times there are valuable tips and timesavers in the forums you don't see in the manual.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I search the forums,check youtube and consult my manuals. A lot of times there are valuable tips and timesavers in the forums you don't see in the manual.

Definitely, like when you absolutely need that specific-use tool, or if you can make one out of something you may have laying around.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Haven't picked up a Chilton's in years...I usually youtube all my stuff along with internet searches in forums and what not

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Had Chiltons for an ill-advised 80's volvo i was fixing with pulled-parts. But now if i want to do anything myself i'll youtube the hell out of it and look on forums for stuff that other people did wrong when doing a DIY. mostly its the goddamn clips on everything that get broken or warped when you're making a path to a problem.

edit: But if you think the Apocalypse is right around the corner you might want to make a quick purchase. That thing will probably save your life.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Yeah, I assume YouTube is basically making Chilton guides obsolete. But there'll probably always be a contingent that prefers hard copy books to online advisement.

I was thinking about (hard copy) Cliff Notes recently, wonder if they're experiencing similar extinction (?)

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I had my joke almost a year ago now, but honestly they're still handy.

It's one thing for a person to do a Google search for things looking for a quick fix. But if you're a serious home mechanic and want the data right in front of you it's still priceless. And I'm talking things like torque specs on bolts, wiring diagrams, fluid capacity/levels etc...

Google searches can still be hit and miss when you're looking for something specific.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Had to google chiltons haha, I have the haynes manual for my old GMC half ton, but no I havent bothered to buy one for my newer vehicles I can find most of what I need online.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad