Player Discussion Dmitry Orlov

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
not many guys have bigger salaries than orlov as it is now. after his next contract only 8, 19, 74 and 92 will have more. I guess.

something between 6 and 7 most probably

hard to see that as under appreciated

dima is honest team first player, I doubt he wants to test some unknown regions of NA instead of DC, I don't see a reason

for caps 6 or 7 doesn't differ much too

it will be done in time

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think anything up to $8 million AAV you make it work. If he wants anything above it I try my best to give him more term to bring the AAV down.

I think $6.5M AAV is something everyone could likely be happy with. He likely doesn't have the point totals to command a huge salary, which is to the benefit of Washington.

He's a top 20 defenseman in the league IMO and he's been money in the playoffs. I'm not playing hardball over a few hundred grand.

Well...the point totals are only because of the lack of pp points and his assignment. I am not sure he is at Carlson's level but I think he is top 10 given the ice.

Frankly, Ive heard Laviolette talking about using Orlov on the half wall to shoot like we thought we were going to get from Mantha. If he gets some legit chances there, something might come of that. That said Schultz is important to that plan.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think anything up to $8 million AAV you make it work. If he wants anything above it I try my best to give him more term to bring the AAV down.

I think $6.5M AAV is something everyone could likely be happy with. He likely doesn't have the point totals to command a huge salary, which is to the benefit of Washington.

He's a top 20 defenseman in the league IMO and he's been money in the playoffs. I'm not playing hardball over a few hundred grand.

6.5 per sounds doable….$8 not so much…

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
My hunch is that an Orlov deal comes with a lower potential AAV because it runs 6, 7 or 8 years. That’s been GMBM’s MO for a while now, and in fairness has worked so far with guys like Carlson, Orlov himself and Oshie. But at Orlov’s age, and given he’s a defenseman, that becomes a riskier strategy. My bet, though, is he will want to stay with this team for as long as he can.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Easily one of the most underrated players in the NHL at this point. People still talk about him like he’s a beer leaguer in his own zone. I think he’s one of the 10 best LD in the NHL. Ahead of Dima: Hedman, Werenski, Heiskanen, maybe Shea Theodore, Roman Josi, Jaccob Slavin, maybe Darnell Nurse. Anyone I’m missing? Maybe Quinn Hughes, maybe Devon Toews. At any rate, he’s elite.

Remember when his agent asked for a trade because Oates was an idiot and kept yo-yoing him between Washington and Hershey and would t play him? Good times.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Easily one of the most underrated players in the NHL at this point. People still talk about him like he’s a beer leaguer in his own zone. I think he’s one of the 10 best LD in the NHL. Ahead of Dima: Hedman, Werenski, Heiskanen, maybe Shea Theodore, Roman Josi, Jaccob Slavin, maybe Darnell Nurse. Anyone I’m missing? Maybe Quinn Hughes, maybe Devon Toews. At any rate, he’s elite.

Remember when his agent asked for a trade because Oates was an idiot and kept yo-yoing him between Washington and Hershey and would t play him? Good times.

Yup. He isnt on the pp and so nobody outside of DC has heard of him. Except maybe for Aves fans. They know him

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
When i said earlier about a team friendly deal. Someone else may offer him $8M but i bet it would be short term. At best 8x4. Or he could stay here for 6.5M x 4/5. Orlov is taking that deal every day. Watch his countryman break the goals record and not have to uproot. All day.

Then that brings up the question of what do we pay Jensen on his next deal, but we can’t talk about that on the Orlov thread. Haha.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He’s not leaving for some short term deal. He’s going to be able to get at least 6 years on the open market if this play level is maintained through next season.

if he puts up more points, all bets are off.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When i said earlier about a team friendly deal. Someone else may offer him $8M but i bet it would be short term. At best 8x4. Or he could stay here for 6.5M x 4/5. Orlov is taking that deal every day. Watch his countryman break the goals record and not have to uproot. All day.

Then that brings up the question of what do we pay Jensen on his next deal, but we can’t talk about that on the Orlov thread. Haha.

Pretty sure that's all unrealistic. This would be an available on the open market 1st pair defenseman. That's rare. Dougie Hamilton over the last 4 seasons has 90 even strenth points. Orlov has 80 evp. Hamilton was 11th and Orlov 20th. Orlov is two years older and has a cup. Orlov is also more durable. Hamilton signed 7 years for $9m. Not a chance Orlov signs for 4 years or $6.5m anywhere.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Maybe I am a tad low. But I don’t think we’ll sign Orlov for over $7M. JC74 is $8M and we won’t pay Orlov more than him. if someone comes in and offer $9M+ for 6 years plus then I think you have a tough decision to make. I would probably not do that deal. But that is me. And not because I don’t love Orlov but there are only so many dollars to go around. Which is why i think Orlov will take a more friendly deal. Maybe he takes 6.5M or 7M x 6.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Pretty sure that's all unrealistic. This would be an available on the open market 1st pair defenseman. That's rare. Dougie Hamilton over the last 4 seasons has 90 even strenth points. Orlov has 80 evp. Hamilton was 11th and Orlov 20th. Orlov is two years older and has a cup. Orlov is also more durable. Hamilton signed 7 years for $9m. Not a chance Orlov signs for 4 years or $6.5m anywhere.

The difference between Hamilton and Orlov is that Hamilton's playing this year at 28, and the first year of Orlov's next deal will be his age-32 season. The most recent comparables are Mattias Ekholm at [email protected] starting at age-32, Alec Martinez at [email protected] at age-33, and Jeff Petry at [email protected] at age-33. On the higher end, you have Spurgeon and Vlasic who got max 8 year deals at 7.575 and 7. The next comparable will probably be Nick Leddy's contract this offseason. However, the Ekholm deal is probably the most relevant, given how similar they are in their team role behind a #1D (Carlson and Josi).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

This is last season’s data, but I’d be shocked if Orlov isn’t near the top this year as well.

I’d extend him in July as a way to keep the AAV down. Offer him a good number for all parties and make him bet on himself if he really wants to go UFA. Does he really say no to 5-6 years at $6.5M in July, risking a down year or injury?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
6 years seems just about right for a guy who will have just turned 32 and is an Ironman in his own right.

BTW Orlov is on a 15g/45pt pace…..(career highs 10g, 33 points - different seasons)….

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d want at least 5 years if I’m him….but what if he wants $7 per AAV?

How high are we willing to go?

As TX said, he could go be an all situations/ all star-type for someone else (and probably command a big UFA deal even at 31/32).
He’s wants a 2m yr a raise, you give it to him. He’s 100% part of the core and just continues to improve. I was thinking 6.9m/5yrs. You just said it faster than I did!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hagelin and Schultz will be off the books by the time Orlov's hypothetical extension would kick in. Both should be easily replaced by cheaper players, probably more than enough to give Orlov the raise he'd command on the open market. Eller is also off the books, and McMichael will still be on his ELC in 2023-24 so that could be another significant savings at least for that year.

The only players whose (non-ELC) contracts run longer than Orlov's are Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Oshie, Wilson, Mantha, and Dowd. Unless Mantha has a standout 2022-23 season I could see his contract as a candidate to move. Not only to fit Orlov, but others who might be candidates for re-signing (Jensen, TVR, Fehervary, maybe a few others who might command raises) along with potential UFA acquisitions or trade targets.

Barring Orlov asking for the moon, there's really no reason they can't fit him. The cap is also expected to go up an extra $1 million next season, so that's a little more wiggle room.
You forgot Carlson contract. But that’s not relevant to your points. I’d pay him 6.9m for 5-6yrs. He’s good and he’s not going to age poorly, IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad