Dispersal Draft according to this article

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1

This is a dumb article. Suppose that the mid-central division (just a random example--why do you need to call it the mid central anyway? Can't you just call it the central?) is like the southeast has been in recent memory and the eastern (another random example) is very, very competitive. The 3rd point getter in the mid-central would make the playoffs instead of the 5th team in the eastern who has more points?

And how would eliminating 10 games out of 82 suddenly make the NHL exciting?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
King Henry I said:
This is a dumb article. Suppose that the mid-central division (just a random example--why do you need to call it the mid central anyway? Can't you just call it the central?) is like the southeast has been in recent memory and the eastern (another random example) is very, very competitive. The 3rd point getter in the mid-central would make the playoffs instead of the 5th team in the eastern who has more points?

Well I take your answer is a no

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
S_N_A, how would you run this draft?

If it ever gets off the ground, I'm in as Jersey. But I think we should fold someone other than Atlanta. I don't want to disperse that kind of talent.

TrampsLikeUs

Apr 13, 2004
Hohoq
www.garnetdonkey.com
King Henry I said:

There's been a bit of talk about this idea. The NHL is more of a grind than the NBA, which also has 82 games. As a result, a lot of players wear down as the season heads down the stretch run. Occording to this theory, if there were 72 games, the playoffs would be more exciting because the players would be fresher. I'm not for the idea, however; I'm just rationalizing it.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Seven_Nation_Army said:
Its Wirtz chief...Wirtz is the Devil!

So contract Wirtz. :)

I see what you're saying, and a part of me agrees. But they're still the Chicago Blackhawks, no matter how horribly mutilated they have become.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He proposes to eliminate the Rangers' rivalries with the Isles, Devils and Flyers. Yeah, that'll work. :shakehead

KH1

Ansky1213 said:
There's been a bit of talk about this idea. The NHL is more of a grind than the NBA, which also has 82 games. As a result, a lot of players wear down as the season heads down the stretch run. Occording to this theory, if there were 72 games, the playoffs would be more exciting because the players would be fresher. I'm not for the idea, however; I'm just rationalizing it.
On the other hand, in a sport as grueling as hockey, how much would eliminating 10 games help? Also, weren't all the playoff overtimes exciting enough?

TrampsLikeUs

Apr 13, 2004
Hohoq
www.garnetdonkey.com
King Henry I said:
On the other hand, in a sport as grueling as hockey, how much would eliminating 10 games help? Also, weren't all the playoff overtimes exciting enough?

How much would it help? Probably marginally. And yeah, the playoff games were very exciting, IMO. However, when a sport is in this much trouble, you are going to hear a lot of "radical" proposals thrown around, both plausible and completely implausible. Is it plausible (I didn't say beneficial) to eliminate 10 games from the schedule?? Yes. Is is plausible to put the original six all in one division? God, I hope not...

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I understand that Bettman did a stupid move by those too many expansion but get rid of ten teams looks hard.

I never understand why Bettman get rid of so many hockey towns for the south like Quebec city and Winnipeg. Look Minnesota they lost the North Stars they came back with the Wilds and they have a better success than Tampa Bay who win the cup.

Bring back those real hockey town and you will see exciting hockey.... I have never see a match Nordiques-Habs boring......NEVER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad