Disney in talks to acquire FOX RSN's UPDATE 8/23 FOX may buy them back

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
For several weeks now, rumors and reports have swirled concerning Disney’s potential purchase of 21st Century Fox broadcast assets, including several TV channels (but not FS1, Fox News, or the flagship Fox station). On Tuesday, CNBC’s David Faber reported that the sides are “closing in on a deal” and that Fox’s regional sports networks would, in fact, be included.

Fox owns and operates about 20 RSNs across the country, including numerous Fox-branded channels and the New York-based YES Network. These networks claim rights to dozens of MLB, NHL, and NBA teams, as well as local college sports and assorted other properties. Though the RSNs are reportedly quite profitable, John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that 21st Century Fox CEO Rupert Murdoch has been lukewarm on them for a while thanks to rising rights fees and declining revenues.

Disney reportedly in talks to acquire Fox Sports regional networks (but not FS1) in potential 21st Century Fox sale

Well, that's one way for ESPN to get some hockey back.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I really am unsure of how I feel about this... I really value the ability to stream Pred's games on the Fox Sports Go app when i have to take my kids to various extracurricular school activities, concerts, and waiting for halftime at basketball games to watch one of them perform... I guess its all about the devil in the details...

But I do relate this commercial a lot!!

Reactions: Killion

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
This wouldn't affect coverage on national ESPN channels right? It's not like Fox or FS1/ FS2 channels cover hockey despite having regional rights. Maybe just make ESPN more likely to go after the national rights in a few years.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have to assume this would also include the YES Network in New York which FOX owns 80% of.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Last edited:
Reactions: cutchemist42

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Is this part of the deal for the movie properties as well?
That's mostly what it's about. They really want the couple of marvel properties they don't have the rights to.
And who knows how the DOJ would come down on this. They could put a number of requirements for divestment in order to approve the deal.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
That's mostly what it's about. They really want the couple of marvel properties they don't have the rights to.
And who knows how the DOJ would come down on this. They could put a number of requirements for divestment in order to approve the deal.

I really don't think the current DOJ is going to do much to stop this. The administration likes Fox.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Weird they would sell the RSN's and keep the other sports assets.

Either way I wonder if this is a golden parachute type of thing. Murdoch isn't getting any younger and he may be looking to leave a nice piggy bank for his kids/grandkids.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That ability wouldn't go away, you'd just be streaming on the ESPN app instead.
First of all, WatchESPN was absolute garbage during the college football season this year. They just couldn't handle the bandwidth on Saturdays, so this wouldn't exactly be a good thing.

Secondly, it would be very tricky to see what ESPN would do knowing Center Ice is out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see them eliminate the streaming capabilities of RSN in order to force customers to pay for that privilege.

Reactions: Bruce Joker

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Disney (ESPN) sees RSNs as a shiny new toy, that they will discard after a while...

I do not want ESPN anywhere near the NHL.
There is no way it could be any worse than this garbage NBC is trying to sell.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
If Disney buys RSN be prepared to be overwhelmed by a variety of social 'justice' issues. If any company can make me hate the sport I love it is Disney and their ESPN degenerates.

Reactions: Bizz and adsfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There's been some concern (think FCC) about combining too many assets in sale. Big things that was against the sale included national TV Channels like news. (It's come up on NBR, but don't have any links at the moment, and won't for hours.)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I echo that. I don't want ESPN anywhere near the RSNs or the NHL.

My RSN shows the Wild. It is 320 miles from Milwaukee to St Paul. It is 90 miles to Chicago. How does that make any sense? BTW, I am a Preds fan as they are the parent team of the Milwaukee Admirals and have been since 1998. Gee, I wonder why the ratings are so low here? Stupidity reigns!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My RSN shows the Wild. It is 320 miles from Milwaukee to St Paul. It is 90 miles to Chicago. How does that make any sense? BTW, I am a Preds fan as they are the parent team of the Milwaukee Admirals and have been since 1998. Gee, I wonder why the ratings are so low here? Stupidity reigns!

No logistics.

Blackhawks are shown on NBC Sports Chicago which is not offered in the Milwaukee market except for places like Racine and Kenosha. This is more to protect the Bucks and Brewers. FOX Sports Wisconsin is a spin off channel of FOX Sports North in Minnesota.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Historic Hollywood merger: Disney to buy 21st Century Fox assets for $52.4 billion

Disney is betting on an ambitious purchase of a sizable chunk of 21st Century Fox, hoping that more cable networks, production studios and other properties will buoy it into the future as it dives into the direct-to-consumer streaming distribution business with sports and entertainment services planned to launch in 2018 and 2019, respectively. To feed those new pipelines, Disney is expanding its content production infrastructure with the acquisition of 20th Century Fox, a cable group that includes FX Networks, National Geographic and 300-plus international channels, and 22 regional sports networks. Also included is Fox’s 30% stake in Hulu, 50% share of Endemol Shine Group, the Star India satellite service, and Fox’s 39% interest in Euro satellite broadcaster Sky.

Staying with 21st Century Fox is the Fox broadcast network and its 28 TV stations, the Fox News and Fox Business channels, and the national Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 networks.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I really find it interesting.....1st time a major studio bought another major. Who would have ever seen this happening 10 years ago...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad