Movies: OFFICIAL : Disney has acquired Fox

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
lBYwEDm.gif

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
This is bad news. DoFP stomps anything made by Disney. Will they ever take a risk like making superhero movies serious? No, of course not. Just keep making kiddie crap that appeals to the casual audience and rake in the money.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Does this mean ESPN now gets its own regional sports networks? Plus the rest of the marvel properties. Not to mention the movie archive. This is huge in more ways than one. Disney wants to create it's own streaming service and is now bulking up content, espn just took out one of it's competitors and gave them a new sector in regional sports, not to mention marvel gets to expand it's universe.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Does this mean ESPN now gets its own regional sports networks? Plus the rest of the marvel properties. Not to mention the movie archive. This is huge in more ways than one. Disney wants to create it's own streaming service and is now bulking up content, espn just took out one of it's competitors and gave them a new sector in regional sports, not to mention marvel gets to expand it's universe.

Some answers here.

Disney-Fox: What Happens To FBC, Will Disney Become OTT Powerhouse & How Will Teams & Cultures Mesh If Deal Makes

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
This is bad news. DoFP stomps anything made by Disney. Will they ever take a risk like making superhero movies serious? No, of course not. Just keep making kiddie crap that appeals to the casual audience and rake in the money.

Disney's behind all the Marvel Netflix releases, which are pretty dark/serious, so they've definitely demonstrated a willingness at least in some channels.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

No more serious comic book movies for grown ups?!

1QMq6MF.gif

Reactions: SniperHF

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Is DoFP supposed to appeal to older audience?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This has got to be a joke.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

From the article:

Chances are that if those projects do live on, they'll be very different but the X-Men and mutants, in general, are no doubt going to start playing a big role in Phase 4 just as Spider-Man has (pretty much the only major character Disney won't own when this deal goes through) since Captain America: Civil War. The mutant gene suddenly surfacing makes perfect sense and would be very easy to incorporate.

Personally I don't see how it will be "very easy to incorporate", but as an alternative to Dr. Doom a major mutant outbreak could be a good theme for the MCU to follow after Thanos.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
From the article:

Personally I don't see how it will be "very easy to incorporate", but as an alternative to Dr. Doom a major mutant outbreak could be a good theme for the MCU to follow after Thanos.

Indeed in makes no sense to me. Will all the characters suddenly between 13 and 25 which is when the mutant gene activates in most cases? What about older characters like Charles Xavier or Erik Lehnsherr? Heck what about Wolverine who is closing in on 200 years old?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Mutants have existed for a very long time. Apocalypse had mutants as followers and as foot soldiers. He him self is a mutant, one of the first in fact.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Is DoFP supposed to appeal to older audience?
I'm saying do you really think the tone in DoFP is comparable to something like Guardians of the Galaxy? Were the Nolan Batman movies too serious for everyone because they didn't go for cheap laughs? Disney does the same thing with every superhero of theirs making the experience of each one predictable and shallow. But you get to see X-Men on the same screen as the Avengers! Woohoo! Who cares about storytelling when you get fanservice like that amirite?

Reactions: Merya

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I like it in the sense that these characters can once again be in video games like Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, but I think Deadpool and Logan went the perfect route. Not really sure how this will play out with them being a Disney property.

Deadpool is Deadpool, they got it right the first time and seemingly will the second. They don't need to Disney that up. Wolverine movies generally sucked up to Logan. What sort of slapstick will they scale him back into now that they seem to think all superhero movies need to be comedies?

Continuity is will be great to have them all together, maybe get the Deadpool/Spiderman team-up, the comics are generally hilarious of those two. Or Wolverine & Deadpool. Thing is with the Infinity War info they don't seem to care too much - they could cameo Punisher, Daredevil, etc from their already owned universe TV shows but they're non-existent. Even if season 1 of Daredevil or Punisher is better than most of their origin movies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
From the article:

I think they'll just use the Infinity Gauntlet to alter reality and incorporate the new characters going forward.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I like it in the sense that these characters can once again be in video games like Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, but I think Deadpool and Logan went the perfect route. Not really sure how this will play out with them being a Disney property.

Deadpool is Deadpool, they got it right the first time and seemingly will the second. They don't need to Disney that up. Wolverine movies generally sucked up to Logan. What sort of slapstick will they scale him back into now that they seem to think all superhero movies need to be comedies?

Continuity is will be great to have them all together, maybe get the Deadpool/Spiderman team-up, the comics are generally hilarious of those two. Or Wolverine & Deadpool. Thing is with the Infinity War info they don't seem to care too much - they could cameo Punisher, Daredevil, etc from their already owned universe TV shows but they're non-existent. Even if season 1 of Daredevil or Punisher is better than most of their origin movies.

Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine were the three heads of the X-men franchise, and this is no surprise. Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart are two of the most talented and respected actors in the industry. Hugh Jackman made his mark in the first movie and hasn't really stopped in proving he is one of the best in the industry. Everyone else who has been in the franchise' has been really bad to ok, with the exception of Dafne Keen, she f***ing killed it as Laura. Stephen Merchant was also really good, but he had such a small role.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I get the excitement about all the Marvel properties being back under one roof. Although I've always thought that the mutants work better, conceptually, if they are the only source of superpowers in their world. It's never made a lick of sense to me that in the Marvel Universe, mutants get the "feared / hated" tag while other heroes like the Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider-Man, etc. get the "loved" tag. How's the general public supposed to know or even care about the difference? But that's comic-book logic for ya, of course.

Honestly, though -- this deal should be killed on anti-trust grounds, not that either party in the USA gives a fig about that. Disney is mammoth enough as it is. Nabbing all of Fox's IP and movie development.. boy if that doesn't come close enough to "attempted monopolization" in this industry IDK what does. Give it a few years and Disney will go looking for the next studio to swallow whole.

Reactions: Merya

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Honestly, though -- this deal should be killed on anti-trust grounds, not that either party in the USA gives a fig about that. Disney is mammoth enough as it is. Nabbing all of Fox's IP and movie development.. boy if that doesn't come close enough to "attempted monopolization" in this industry IDK what does. Give it a few years and Disney will go looking for the next studio to swallow whole.

Disney owns marvel, Fox is only “leasing” the IP from marvel(aka Disney),

And you can’t call it a monopolization when there’s DC comics, dark horse, valiant and image out there.

They might not match up in terms of quality or name value but they blow a hole in the monopolization argument.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Disney owns marvel, Fox is only “leasing” the IP from marvel(aka Disney),

And you can’t call it a monopolization when there’s DC comics, dark horse, valiant and image out there.

They might not match up in terms of quality or name value but they blow a hole in the monopolization argument.
No no no, not monopoly in comics. The comics themselves are barely even the rounding error of peanuts to Disney.

It's the larger movie business where anti-trust should be looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad