Movies: OFFICIAL : Disney has acquired Fox

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Marvel may finally get the X-Men and Fantastic Four back.

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., leaving behind a media company tightly focused on news and sports, according to people familiar with the situation.

For Disney, the opportunity to take control of another movie studio and significant TV production assets as it readies a direct-to-consumer entertainment streaming offering is attractive as is Fox's significant exposure to international markets, such as the U.K., Germany and Italy — both through its networks and 39 percent ownership of Sky. Disney recently announced it will pull all of its movies from the Netflix platform and will establish two direct-to-consumer offerings: one for sports and one including its key franchises such as "Star Wars" and Marvel.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21s...o-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This seems like a pretty huge deal. Sounds like the main TV properties will be excluded, but, from a film perspective, Disney is becoming a behemoth.

To all of those wanting to see the Xmen enter the MCU, this is one way for that to happen.

My bigger fear is that Disney sticks to massive blockbusters, while Fox is more a traditional studio, and tries to develop smaller films. I worry that this pushes more large scale films, and less investment into independent side (like Fox searchlight). That said, this seems to be driven by the changing media landscape, so it's not an easy task to figure how this will shake out.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Don't let Disney get the rights to the aliens franchise. While fox has sucked at managing the IP, Disney would kiddify it to no end.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The X-Men films have consistently been some of the best superhero movies. I don't see how them joining the MCU is going to increase their quality, it's really just a cash grab/fan service.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Stan Lee Is Confident Marvel Studios Is Working On Regaining The X-MEN And FANTASTIC FOUR Rights.

"Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters," Lee promises. "They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...g-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-rights-a153809

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Disney is going to ruin the X-men. Fox did an amazing job with the franchise, minus the third movie and Apocalypse. Logan was a unexpected suprise, probably one of the best in the franchise. It showed there is still a ton of life left in the franchise.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I’m kind of hoping this deal falls through or Disney just outright buys the rights back to X-Men as opposed to purchasing Fox. Just imagine all the content that would disappear from Netflix if Disney bought the Fox Movie house.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Disney is going to ruin the X-men. Fox did an amazing job with the franchise, minus the third movie and Apocalypse. Logan was a unexpected suprise, probably one of the best in the franchise. It showed there is still a ton of life left in the franchise.

I wouldn't say amazing job. They've had some winners but some have been pretty bad.

X-men was good but hasn't aged well.
X-men 2 was meh.
X-men 3 was garbage.
X-men Origins: Wolverine was garbage
The Wolverine... Was not good.
X-men First Class was good.
X-men Days of Future Past was meh.
X-men Apocalpse was garbage.
Logan was good.
Deadpool was great.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If this means possibly convincing Hugh Jackman do play Logan a couple of more times I am all for it. One of the only ways he said he would put on the claws again was if Wolverine could be part of the MCU and have a classic meeting with the Hulk which is who he was introduced in the comics. I still have the Hulk comic sitting in a safety deposit box!

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I wouldn't say amazing job. They've had some winners but some have been pretty bad.

X-men was good but hasn't aged well.
X-men 2 was meh.
X-men 3 was garbage.
X-men Origins: Wolverine was garbage
The Wolverine... Was not good.
X-men First Class was good.
X-men Days of Future Past was meh.
X-men Apocalpse was garbage.
Logan was good.
Deadpool was great.

Everyone has their opinion but I think X-men 2 and DoFP are two of the best superhero movies ever.

Reactions: shello

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The idea that Disney is going to own everything down the road scares the shit out of me.

This is not good. I'm already sick of Star Wars.

Reactions: Desdichado62

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Reactions: Ar-too

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm torn between this. Adding in X-Men to the MCU would be amazing, but I like competition. Disney really does do a great job with the movies if you ask me, but I also don't like having one player in town. Although, with them moving to their own streaming service, and not having their product on Netflix, it could be a good thing if they take over Fox. Who knows what will happen down the road, but if Disney's platform is as accessible as Netflix is right now, I would be all for switching over to Disney because of their library(I'm assuming everything would be available?). Interesting to say the least though with all of these acquisitions.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
even if this were to happen I am not 100% sold on them adding mutants to the MCU. I could see them adding the FF and their gallery of rogues to the MCU but creating a second type of MCU for X-Men related stuff.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Same here. 'Mutants' are essentially the core backbone of the Marvel comic universe, but considering how mucht they've already built up the MCU universe without them you can't just add them in as is. At best they can probably cherry pick characters piecemeal like they did with Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver who have powers for reasons and just drop the whole 'mutant' conflict that Professor X and Magneto have had ongoing for decades. But still that at least makes it easy to bring Wolverine over.

Unless they do some sort of parallel world thing that the comics can be so fond of... but I have a hard time getting into that shit show with the MCU.

Reactions: shello

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
In the event that the MCU ever does a hard reset, a universe that starts with both the Xmen and the other Marvel characters would be a way to make it feel new and different.

It sounds like they have a lengthy road map for the MCU, and they shouldn't tinker with it just to squeeze in the Xmen just because they can.

The only reason they might is if they don't feel as confident in their character library after the current projects are completed, but, I have to think the success they've had, that they are not short on potential ideas.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I wish they would take all these superhero movies and lock them away for 20 years. Talk about being overdone to the point where we've seen it all. Come up with some new ideas instead of re-making every superhero movie.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Another report.

Following a report from earlier this week that suggested the Walt Disney Company and 21st Century Fox had resumed negotiations about a potential blockbuster deal that would see Disney acquire several major assets, including the 20th Century Fox movie and TV studio, it looks like we've received official confirmation from the Wall Street Journal.

According to the new report, talks have started to seriously heat up between Disney and Fox over the past week, but it looks like there may be some heavy competition in the form of Comcast, who also remains extremely interested in pursuing a potential deal and are "being very serious" in studying Fox's assets. Sony and Verizon Communications also remain among the outside contenders.

Disney Aggressively Resumes Pursuit Of Fox's Film/TV Assets; A Deal Could Happen Before End Of The Year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->