Dish Network drops OLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
blitzkriegs said:
Well, were you pissed when Lifetime, USA, Cartoon Network, SCI-FI, Bravo, HIST, A&E, etc. were added to YOUR basic lineup and increased rates?

The above channels and many others went through the same process that OLN is going through. The major difference is that OLN has a nationally recognized sport that televises live, while the others never did. Aka the FAN agenda...

The cartoon network never blacked out my favorite episodes of bugs bunny to get on to my basic cable services.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Spongebob said:
But alot of the channels you are talking about had alot more potential then what OLN does. With just the NHL as it's main programming OLN will not even come close in ratings to any of the above mentioned channels. OLN needs to get itself established as a legitamate channel before it tries to hold cable/dish companies hostage. It is just not a good way to do business when you have no leverage.

Those example channels I pointed out had just as much leverage, if not less, than what OLN currently has. Potential? Beyond targeted markets as 'potential' the content was weak and outdated. Remember FX? That was absolute garbage. Then Fox used it as an overflow/rerun channel then added their own programming to launch it (The Shield, etc. is what made that network).

OLN has potential, but in a crowded sports market. Those other channels appealed to niche markets like women, kids, elderly, etc. that companies saw as a market to exclusively cater to. How much potential does OLN have if they land the NFL contract? That's a big IF, but talk about OLN becomming a household name very fast.

While OLN/Comcast is using the NHL to get to the basic tier, it may very well be setting up a competitive bid for the NFL contract. Would the NFL take OLN seriously (or their $) if it was on a pay tier? Nope. But having OLN on the basic tier in a majority of the cable/satellite platforms makes OLN no different than bids from other stations (much like TNT).

I have stressed more than enogh times in various posts about OLN that there is a much larger picture being played out. The problem is the NHL is part of it and following the lockout doesn't help.

Again, everyone will forget the short term complications for the long haul. Just ask Yankees fans with YES. I know LONG TERM is hard to understand in this generation.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
explosivethinman said:
The cartoon network never blacked out my favorite episodes of bugs bunny to get on to my basic cable services.

Gee...that's because CN had nothing to offer but old and I mean old even junkie cartoons. It was seen as a channel solely for kids. Long term, the channel has become more diverse in its programming and caters to kids during the day and young adults at night. Even has its own programming. I'm sure a large section of this board watches the current CN, but would rarely watched the original CN.

baxter579

Oct 11, 2005
blitzkriegs said:
While OLN/Comcast is using the NHL to get to the basic tier, it may very well be setting up a competitive bid for the NFL contract. Would the NFL take OLN seriously (or their $) if it was on a pay tier? Nope. But having OLN on the basic tier in a majority of the cable/satellite platforms makes OLN no different than bids from other stations (much like TNT).

and how seriously will the NFL take OLN when they have still not returned to Dish Network come time to award the contract? because this much is for sure Charlie Ergen (chairman and CEO of Echostar, dish's parent company) doesnt mess around. comcast tried to black mail him(right or wrong) and he's called their bluff. as mentioned earlier, this isnt the first time he has done this, and dont expect him to back down. The only way OLN returns to Dish is if Comcast caves

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
blitzkriegs said:
Gee...that's because CN had nothing to offer but old and I mean old even junkie cartoons. It was seen as a channel solely for kids. Long term, the channel has become more diverse in its programming and caters to kids during the day and young adults at night. Even has its own programming. I'm sure a large section of this board watches the current CN, but would rarely watched the original CN.

I'll admit right off the bat that I'm slow and dense but I fail to see your point here. I'm no more likely to watch the cartoon network now (or any of the other networks you referenced), than I was five, ten years ago.Cartoon network had nothing to offer but neither does OLN and there is no way oln is going to get a major sport on their network as long as they are blacking out certain areas. I don't really care about OLN because I can get enough televised thrasher games in other areas and I don't mind listening to games on the radio but with the state of the NHL, it seems to me they should be more concerned with being seen NOW rather than waiting things out with a network that is trying to move up to a basic cable package.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:
Those example channels I pointed out had just as much leverage, if not less, than what OLN currently has. Potential? Beyond targeted markets as 'potential' the content was weak and outdated. Remember FX? That was absolute garbage. Then Fox used it as an overflow/rerun channel then added their own programming to launch it (The Shield, etc. is what made that network).

OLN has potential, but in a crowded sports market. Those other channels appealed to niche markets like women, kids, elderly, etc. that companies saw as a market to exclusively cater to. How much potential does OLN have if they land the NFL contract? That's a big IF, but talk about OLN becomming a household name very fast.

I have stressed more than enogh times in various posts about OLN that there is a much larger picture being played out. The problem is the NHL is part of it and following the lockout doesn't help.

Again, everyone will forget the short term complications for the long haul. Just ask Yankees fans with YES. I know LONG TERM is hard to understand in this generation.
Like you already pointed out "those" channels offered something that no other channel did. A 24 hour cartoon network has a huge potential audience. A network devoted exclusively to women (the majority of the population)? The elderly (a segment of the population that is bigger now than ever before)? etc.

"Those" channels had way more potential than what OLN does now. IF they had an NFL contract they would have the leverage to do what they are trying to attempt at this moment. OLN does not have the potential viewing audience that any of "those" channels had. With just the NHL and a bunch of Survivor reruns this channel has nothing to offer to any substantial viewing audience. Even if every hockey fan in the U.S. watched OLN it would not have good ratings.

Like I said before it is like a brand new retail company telling Walmart "You better carry our product and merchandise it the way we tell you to or else". That does not work in todays business world.:shakehead

eyesk8r

Aug 2, 2005
Spongebob said:
You sir are wrong. Dish/Satellite companies have to pay a percentage of their costs to the channels in the package. If OLN was moved to the top 120 then OLN would receive a percentage of the money from every customer who has the top 120 package. This can only be done 2 ways. Either Dish Network cuts into their profit margin or increases their subscription rate for the top 120 package. Obviously they did not want to lose profit (which you can blame them for if you want) and they could not justify raising the subscription rate for all the top 120 customers just so 1% of the viewers could watch hockey games.

I might be wrong in that regard, but what about the people who are paying and had a year long commitment to dish, although their probably aren't many people, but what about the people that got the top 180 specifically for OLN, and the NHL, these people are paying $10 a month extra for a service they were told was going to be provided by dish and now oln isn't even available.

This is only one of the reasons i lfet dish for directv. Dish's reps are a bunch of liers, we had center ice and were told select games would be in HD, yet we never had on in the first month we had hockey back. When we called we asked why we weren't getting the kings' feed in HD the were being produced by FSWHD, and were told that dish was still negotiating a contract with FSW, after e-mailing the kings and them getting back to us, we were told "Center Ice outer market package requires black-outs for the local FSN West Kings games.

Dish has not yet picked up our HD package of FSN Kings games.

Both Dish and Cox- Las Vegas would have rights to 10 game HD packages for Kings & Lakers. No contract is even in the works at this time."
Tracy Schwartz

Director, Affiliate Sales & Marketing

Fox Cable Networks

Basically dish is a bunch of liers, and will keep stringing you along until you decide to cut the rope.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
eyesk8r said:
these people are paying $10 a month extra for a service they were told was going to be provided by dish and now oln isn't even available.

But its OK that OLN would violate the terms of the agreement they had with Dish by withholding content?

eyesk8r

Aug 2, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
But its OK that OLN would violate the terms of the agreement they had with Dish by withholding content?

Dude, Oln's agreement with the NHL from what i understand says that it has to be televised to 40% of the customer base or the game will be blacked out. it's obviously all about dollars and cents which amounts to simple greed. but if you are dish why not just swap a channel, or hell give your customers a break, move oln over for free, maybe the move will increase their subscriber base.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
eyesk8r said:
Dude, Oln's agreement with the NHL from what i understand says that it has to be televised to 40% of the customer base or the game will be blacked out. it's obviously all about dollars and cents which amounts to simple greed. but if you are dish why not just swap a channel, or hell give your customers a break, move oln over for free, maybe the move will increase their subscriber base.
That is just wishful thinking though. From a hockey fans point of view that would be great. But like I stated before Dish would have to pay OLN a substantial amout of money to carry OLN in it's top120 package. The increase to their customer base would be little if any. They would either have to take a hit to their profit margin (which would not be a good business decision considering the fact that hockey does not bring good ratings) or increase the subscription fee (which would not be fair because less than 1% of their subscribers would even watch the channel). So I can definitely understand why Dish dropped the channel.

ctfan

Oct 2, 2004
If Dish was looking out for their customer's interests, they would have lowered the price for the Top 180 to reflect the fact that OLN was dropped from the package. Did they do this? Absolutely not. They're pocketing the savings.

Dish is full of ***t. I'm being blacked out of FSNY games in Fairfield County, Connecticut. After 20 calls complaining Dish finally admitted that I should get the games. They told me it was my problem with FSNY and I should call them. Of course who do I pay for FSNY... Dish network. They should handle this for a customer, they're the ones offering FSNY to me.

Tomorrow Direct TV is getting installed. DISH says I owe them a cancellation penalty. I told them they were the ones that were breaking contracts with their subscribers and they could rot before they see a check from me.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I hate to bump a thread like this but I don't want to start another one.

Have there been any new developments with Dish and OLN?

I'm being lured to DirecTV right now. Start of rant. I got harrassed by Dish Network awhile ago as they have started doing these idiotic phone line audits. Basically, I was told that the contract that I signed requires all recievers to be hooked in to a phone line. The guy got rude with me and then threatened to terminate all of my recievers if I did not comply with his "orders."(it is about a good $1200 worth of equipment) I just moved in to a new home and the last thing that is on my list of things to do is run phone line to all 5 of my recievers. He ended up telling me he didn't care, so I caved in and spent a Saturday afternoon running phone lines. To avoid the Dish police, I'd recommend hooking up a phone line to your dual tuner recievers if you haven't already. End of rant.

Add that incident there with crappy HD options and the OLN factor, I just might be leaving Dish Network afterall. Problem is is that I've already paid for Center Ice.

I am just really, really frusterated with them right now. I was okay with the OLN debacle because that is understandable but being harrased like that really put me over the top. I'm starting to wonder if they care about their customers. :dunno:

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Myxamatosis said:
I hate to bump a thread like this but I don't want to start another one.

Have there been any new developments with Dish and OLN?

I'm being lured to DirecTV right now. Start of rant. I got harrassed by Dish Network awhile ago as they have started doing these idiotic phone line audits. Basically, I was told that the contract that I signed requires all recievers to be hooked in to a phone line. The guy got rude with me and then threatened to terminate all of my recievers if I did not comply with his "orders."(it is about a good $1200 worth of equipment) I just moved in to a new home and the last thing that is on my list of things to do is run phone line to all 5 of my recievers. He ended up telling me he didn't care, so I caved in and spent a Saturday afternoon running phone lines. To avoid the Dish police, I'd recommend hooking up a phone line to your dual tuner recievers if you haven't already. End of rant.

Add that incident there with crappy HD options and the OLN factor, I just might be leaving Dish Network afterall. Problem is is that I've already paid for Center Ice.

I am just really, really frusterated with them right now. I was okay with the OLN debacle because that is understandable but being harrased like that really put me over the top. I'm starting to wonder if they care about their customers. :dunno:
That sounds odd to me. I have had Dish Network for 3 years now and I never have hooked the receivers to the phone lines. I also have never received any phone calls demanding that I do it.:dunno: Maybe it is an East coast thing?

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
From what I read it is a completely random thing.

Also, having a large monthly bill has something to do with it. They are trying to stop people from using a dual tuner reciever in two different households. It happens alot with people that live close to each other in an apartment complex or something. Basically they split the bill and Dish Network loses out on money. Your contract states that the recievers you have can only be used under the roof of the address on your account.

Now that they have pretty much stopped all the smart card frauds, they are turning to this. I understand why they are doing it, but there is no reason to get hostile about it. Many others have complained about it as well.

I guess there is no new news on OLN and Dish Network. I have to stick with it because of Center Ice so hopefully something gets worked out.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I've had Dish Network for a while and I never hooked the reciever up to the phone until a friend of mine wanted to order a pay-per-view movie recently. I should probably unplug it again. That's ridiculous that they would hassle anyone about that.

I'd switch from Dish too, but literally about a week before Dish dropped OLN I ordered some international channels for my mother which required a one year contract for a special dish. If OLN and Dish can't resolve their issues in time to make the conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals available to Dish subscribers I'll be pissed and cancel the minute the contract expires.

I guess there is no new news on OLN and Dish Network. I have to stick with it because of Center Ice so hopefully something gets worked out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if OLN and Dish can't resolve their issues then even Dish Net Center Ice subscribers can't see the conference finals and first two games of the SCF, correct? You can't see any of the OLN exclusive games on Center Ice, right? I'd gladly pay for Center Ice if it meant I could actually see every game, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for it and still not be able to see most of the biggest games of the year.

Last edited:

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
Myxamatosis said:
Now that they have pretty much stopped all the smart card frauds, they are turning to this.

This is off topic, but I hate to break it to you, Nagra2 has been hacked and many, many people are getting Dish for free again. It didn't take the hackers very long to break this "uncrackable" new system.

RTWAP*

I'm with Comcast on this one.

They went out and spent maybe $100M on new programming and DISH wants to pay exactly the same for it. Comcast has only two ways to reduce the cost, increased fees per subscriber or an increased subscriber base. Since DISH wasn't willing to pay for OLN with NHL, Comcast provided OLN without NHL. DISH threw a fit because they weren't getting NHL for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->