Dish Network drops OLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
OLN sux they better not have any exclusive devils games. This is rediciculous. Does NHL even care about their ratings?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Leaf Lander said:
maybe the nhl should do what the leafs brass did create a stattelite compnay that can market there product.

The nhl should start there own satellite company to market there game to the world
yeah that would be a great investment, why not just throw millions of dollars into a bonfire while their at it

I am so glad that the NHL is off of ESPN now, they did such a terrible job

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Leaf Lander said:
maybe the nhl should do what the leafs brass did create a stattelite compnay that can market there product.

The nhl should start there own satellite company to market there game to the world

By "Satellite company" do you mean digital cable/satellite channel? If so, it has its own NHL Network which is currently in Canada and launching into the States within 24 months.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The NHL is thinking long-term. Comcast is eventually going to win the "digital war" between all the different providers due to their size and financial clout and when they do, the NHL will be glad to have been associated with them. Don't be surprised if Comcast's attempted takeover of Disney is successful one day, at which point they will own ABC and ESPN.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
I suppose the big question is "What agreement existed or was made between OLN and the cable outlets when they were negotiating the NHL deal?" If nothing was negotiated, then this is all fair game. Eh, Epsilon's probably right. Someday, Comcast will probably own Disney, etc. and all of us, too, so why worry?

I don't get it: OLN wants to have cable distributors include it in a basic package, thereby reducing the cost for individual consumers who want to watch games without getting more expensive cable packages, and they're the bad guy? Are you guys sure you know what you're arguing for? Then again, this is a bloody struggle between Comcast and a relatively little cable distributor, so maybe it's me who doesn't know what he's arguing for. I have Comcast Sportsnet Philly, which gets me all the Flyer games, so what do I care?!?

Consumer: No, no - I want to pay more! Damn you, OLN, for insisting that the cable providers include your network in the basic package.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
stanley said:
I don't get it: OLN wants to have cable distributors include it in a basic package, thereby reducing the cost for individual consumers who want to watch games without getting more expensive cable packages, and they're the bad guy? [/i]

Exactly how does it reduce the cost for individuals? Cable companies have to pay a liscence fee for their channels. That cost is passed on to the consumer. Instead of just the people who want to see the NHL or the guy running on a log in the water competition paying extra, every subscriber has to pay for it. Bottom line is Comcast makes more money if OLN is included in basic packages, and that extra money comes from the subscriber.

Its a good argument for why all cable channels should be a la carte, but it'll never happen.

Diamond Dan 5150

Feb 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
stanley said:
I suppose the big question is "What agreement existed or was made between OLN and the cable outlets when they were negotiating the NHL deal?" If nothing was negotiated, then this is all fair game. Eh, Epsilon's probably right. Someday, Comcast will probably own Disney, etc. and all of us, too, so why worry?

I don't get it: OLN wants to have cable distributors include it in a basic package, thereby reducing the cost for individual consumers who want to watch games without getting more expensive cable packages, and they're the bad guy? Are you guys sure you know what you're arguing for? Then again, this is a bloody struggle between Comcast and a relatively little cable distributor, so maybe it's me who doesn't know what he's arguing for. I have Comcast Sportsnet Philly, which gets me all the Flyer games, so what do I care?!?

Consumer: No, no - I want to pay more! Damn you, OLN, for insisting that the cable providers include your network in the basic package.

No, the point is what about all those fans who did pay extra already to get the games on OLN and are now getting screwed.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I emailed Dish Network about the OLN situation and here's what they sent back to me.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer. OLN, which is owned by the nation’s largest cable TV company, Comcast, has made unreasonable demands that would force millions of DISH Network customers to pay more for this channel. We regret the inconvenience, but are committed to keeping our prices the lowest possible and will not allow our customers to be bullied.

DISH Network does offer other channels that provide similar programming, including the Men’s Channel and The Outdoor Channel. If you are a hockey fan, you can view your local channels for in-market games, or subscribe to DISH Network’s NHL Center Ice Package, which offers a variety of hockey games much broader than those offered on OLN. Visit HYPERLINK "http://www.dishnetwork.com/"www.dishnetwork.com for more information.

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
here is a letter i sent to dish network:

DEAR DISH NETWORK,

Thank you for providing a hockey fan with hockey games OLN carries. Sincerly **** YOU!!!

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Although OLN/Comcast sucks I think Dishnetwork is even worse. When they don't get their way they just take off channels. They did it to all the Viacom channels a year ago. So I had to switch to directv.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Buya89 said:
here is a letter i sent to dish network:

DEAR DISH NETWORK,

Thank you for providing a hockey fan with hockey games OLN carries. Sincerly **** YOU!!!
The effectiveness of such a letter aside--why are you directing your vile at Dish Network? It is Comcast that refused to supply NHL games to Dish Network customers. Dish Network just got fed up with OLN's actions and dropped that network. If OLN hadn't denied access to NHL games, this wouldn't be an issue. Shouldn't you be writing to Comcast instead?

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Squiddy said:
Although OLN/Comcast sucks I think Dishnetwork is even worse. When they don't get their way they just take off channels. They did it to all the Viacom channels a year ago. So I had to switch to directv.
I actually agree with their decision. Why should several million "non hockey viewers" pay extra to get OLN in their basic lineup? I know if my dish bill went up so that a 24 hour golf network could be in the basic lineup I would be pissed.:shakehead

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Diamond Dan 5150 said:
No, the point is what about all those fans who did pay extra already to get the games on OLN and are now getting screwed.

:biglaugh:

Getting screwed? By $5 per month? Hellllooo Cheapo. I can see if one was experiencing issues with Center Ice @ $129+...

For all those that PAID EXTRA for OLN and are experiencing blackouts here's a logical thing to do: cancel your OLN based subscription that costs you money until YOU know the blackout situation is resolved. Then send your cable company an email/letter/cust rep by tele why you are canceling.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Spongebob said:
I actually agree with their decision. Why should several million "non hockey viewers" pay extra to get OLN in their basic lineup? I know if my dish bill went up so that a 24 hour golf network could be in the basic lineup I would be pissed.:shakehead

Well, were you pissed when Lifetime, USA, Cartoon Network, SCI-FI, Bravo, HIST, A&E, etc. were added to YOUR basic lineup and increased rates?

The above channels and many others went through the same process that OLN is going through. The major difference is that OLN has a nationally recognized sport that televises live, while the others never did. Aka the FAN agenda...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
JWI19 said:
I emailed Dish Network about the OLN situation and here's what they sent back to me.

Interesting how DishNetwork states 'millions will pay more.' That could be .01 per month or $3.00 (the unlikely case). But DN is issuing a press release for public persuasion purposes.

Of course, if you are a hockey fan (the reason most people want OLN now) you can SUBSCRIBE to DN's Center Ice...Nothing like plugging a service where one has a fee arrangement for new subscriptions. Yep, DN receives a % of YOUR subscription rate. :biglaugh:

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:
Well, were you pissed when Lifetime, USA, Cartoon Network, SCI-FI, Bravo, HIST, A&E, etc. were added to YOUR basic lineup and increased rates?

The above channels and many others went through the same process that OLN is going through. The major difference is that OLN has a nationally recognized sport that televises live, while the others never did. Aka the FAN agenda...
No because I actually watch those channels and so do millions of others. What you fail to realize is that a huge majority of television viewers do not give a damn about watching hockey. We on these boards are really the only ones that really care if OLN is aired or not. To demand that a channel is put in the basic lineup so that less than 1% of your viewing audience can watch hockey is a poor bargaining position. Other than the NHL the Outdoor Life Network has nothing interesting to watch.:shakehead

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Spongebob said:
No because I actually watch those channels and so do millions of others. What you fail to realize is that a huge majority of television viewers do not give a damn about watching hockey. We on these boards are really the only ones that really care if OLN is aired or not. To demand that a channel is put in the basic lineup so that less than 1% of your viewing audience can watch hockey is a poor bargaining position. Other than the NHL the Outdoor Life Network has nothing interesting to watch.:shakehead

You watch them NOW. At their inception those channels had very little appealing content (and some cable networks they were an additional cost) to millions of people like they do now.

ESPN2 had nothing interesting to watch in the beginning too. One actually had to pay extra for ESPN2 on most cable systems (I paid $5 per month for it and got truck pulls, beach volleyball, outdoor games, etc.) when it first came started as cable companies viewed the network as unappealing beyond a stepsister to ESPN. Once ESPN2 had additional content via NHL and became an ESPN overflow channel then it was moved into the basic tier by many companies.

I don't fail to realize anything. None of what OLN/Comcast is going through is new. However, the video game mentality and lack of life experiences around here in general (not at you) doesn't see it this way because their current channel lineup already HAS the channels that many of us watched as junk in their inception a decade or so ago...Let alone the constant gripes about cameras, studios, etc. that OLN had less than 60 days to pull off. Comparing Game 1 with the DET/CLB game last night there is a noticeable difference in coverage. However, there still is work to be done.

What? You actually had to stick your finger in a dial, turn it 7 times, stand within 5 feet, to make a telephone call? Get my point?

eyesk8r

Aug 2, 2005
Dish is full of *****. I had dish and cancelled and went to directv now. if dish moves oln to a different package nobody has to pay more. it's just an excuse for them to raise their prices, and you can take that to the bank. the fact is if oln get's moved from the top 180 to the top 120, the people with 180 aren't going to cancell their service and down grade, because there are other channels you get with that, at the same time you should not have to force someone to pay an extra 10 dollars a month for one channel. OLN games on dish would not have been blackedout in the first place had dish put oln where more than 40% of their customers could get it. So it is dish's fault not comcasts.

Dishnet= greed *******s.

BTW those of you with dish, see any HD games yet other than on hdnet?

Jori

eyesk8r said:
Dish is full of *****. I had dish and cancelled and went to directv now. if dish moves oln to a different package nobody has to pay more. it's just an excuse for them to raise their prices, and you can take that to the bank. the fact is if oln get's moved from the top 180 to the top 120, the people with 180 aren't going to cancell their service and down grade, because there are other channels you get with that, at the same time you should not have to force someone to pay an extra 10 dollars a month for one channel. OLN games on dish would not have been blackedout in the first place had dish put oln where more than 40% of their customers could get it. So it is dish's fault not comcasts.

Dishnet= greed *******s.

Nope. I'm hoping Dish Network will pickup Altitude HD, as Altitude will broadcast all of the Avs home games in HD. So far my emails have been "forwarded" to the programming department.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
eyesk8r said:

Dishnet= greed *******s.

You sir are wrong. Dish/Satellite companies have to pay a percentage of their costs to the channels in the package. If OLN was moved to the top 120 then OLN would receive a percentage of the money from every customer who has the top 120 package. This can only be done 2 ways. Either Dish Network cuts into their profit margin or increases their subscription rate for the top 120 package. Obviously they did not want to lose profit (which you can blame them for if you want) and they could not justify raising the subscription rate for all the top 120 customers just so 1% of the viewers could watch hockey games.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
eyesk8r said:
Dish is full of *****. I had dish and cancelled and went to directv now. if dish moves oln to a different package nobody has to pay more.

No sir, you're full of ****. Networks charge liscensing fees for their channels. Cable and Dish companies pass that cost on to you.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I will tell you all this.

Dish Network is not going to budge until they get their way.

What they are doing with OLN is the same thing they did with Viacom last year. Dish ended up coming out of that smelling like a rose.

This is E*'s business strategy. I have no problem with that. They aren't going to lose many customers just because they can't see any hockey. Fact is, the NHL is not something that they are going to fall over for. You can take a look at ESPN's ratings and see why.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:
You watch them NOW. At their inception those channels had very little appealing content (and some cable networks they were an additional cost) to millions of people like they do now.

ESPN2 had nothing interesting to watch in the beginning too. One actually had to pay extra for ESPN2 on most cable systems (I paid $5 per month for it and got truck pulls, beach volleyball, outdoor games, etc.) when it first came started as cable companies viewed the network as unappealing beyond a stepsister to ESPN. Once ESPN2 had additional content via NHL and became an ESPN overflow channel then it was moved into the basic tier by many companies.

I don't fail to realize anything. None of what OLN/Comcast is going through is new. However, the video game mentality and lack of life experiences around here in general (not at you) doesn't see it this way because their current channel lineup already HAS the channels that many of us watched as junk in their inception a decade or so ago...Let alone the constant gripes about cameras, studios, etc. that OLN had less than 60 days to pull off. Comparing Game 1 with the DET/CLB game last night there is a noticeable difference in coverage. However, there still is work to be done.

What? You actually had to stick your finger in a dial, turn it 7 times, stand within 5 feet, to make a telephone call? Get my point?
But alot of the channels you are talking about had alot more potential then what OLN does. With just the NHL as it's main programming OLN will not even come close in ratings to any of the above mentioned channels. OLN needs to get itself established as a legitamate channel before it tries to hold cable/dish companies hostage. It is just not a good way to do business when you have no leverage.

It would be like RC Cola telling a grocery store if it doesn't market/display it's product next to Pepsi and Coca-Cola products that they will not make anymore shipments of their product. Most stores would tell RC Cola to get lost. OLN needs Dish Network more than Dish Network needs OLN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad