Discussion on a few Lesser-Knowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I would like to, if possible, get some info/discussion going on some 2004 prospects. None of these guys have received more than a mention, if that, on these boards, and most people have probably never heard of them, yet all of them are rated high enough to go first day in June. I don't like to see these guys being left out of mocks over guys that are more known yet ranked much lower (Mike Card :) ) I feel bad for these players, and I have seen most of them play, and they are all solid.

I would like these guys to no longer be unknowns, so discuss if you have anything.

Mike Lundin
Keith Yandle
Billy Ryan
Jeff Caron
Rob Bellamy
Casey Borer
Daniel Winnik
Kyle Wilson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
TMHUNH said:
I would like to, if possible, get some info/discussion going on some 2004 prospects. None of these guys have received more than a mention, if that, on these boards, and most people have probably never heard of them, yet all of them are rated high enough to go first day in June. I don't like to see these guys being left out of mocks over guys that are more known yet ranked much lower (Mike Card :) ) I feel bad for these players, and I have seen most of them play, and they are all solid.

I would like these guys to no longer be unknowns, so discuss if you have anything.

Mike Lundin
Keith Yandle
Billy Ryan
Jeff Caron
Rob Bellamy
Casey Borer
Daniel Winnik
Kyle Wilson

The only one I've seen on the list is Casey Borer and I was impressed with his game. He's solid in his own end, from what I've seen, but I only saw him twice. Has good size and seemed to move the puck well.

I'd add 2 guys I'd haven't seen but I'm interested to see where they go in the draft, Jonathan Siglet and Jon Smyth (who I'm very interested in seeing the Habs draft)

I also really like David Booth, and I don't hear too much about him here (unless I'm missing those posts) but I like his power stride and offensive game. If he can improve his first step and foot speed, he could be one of the better forwards in this draft a few years from now, imo.

Hockeypuck

TMHUNH said:

Mike Lundin
Keith Yandle
Billy Ryan
Jeff Caron
Rob Bellamy
Casey Borer
Daniel Winnik
Kyle Wilson
I saw Lundin play at Maine pretty much every game this year and he's one of the best freshman defenseman to come into Maine in a long time. He doesn't really excel at any one area,but he doesn't have any real weaknesses either. He skates well and has a nice shot from the point he always seems to get the wrister through traffic on net and he has good instincts when it comes to holding the puck in at the point. He's good size and should fill out more over the next 3 years at Maine although he's not real physical he'll take the body and has good hockey sense when it comes to taking lanes away from forwards and pushing them to the boards. He was outstanding on the penalty kill he was a sure bet when the puck was near him he was sending it down the ice and he also got some PP time and was somewhat effective there although Maine's PP was abysmal this year.
I'm looking forward to seeing Bellamy play at Maine next year the only thing I know about him is that he's big and strong and hits like a freight train.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
montreal said:
I'd add 2 guys I'd haven't seen but I'm interested to see where they go in the draft, Jonathan Siglet and Jon Smyth (who I'm very interested in seeing the Habs draft)

Agreed on Sigalet. Although he has received some talk on here, but not enough that I even know his style of play.

As for Jon Smyth...do you mean Jon Smyth from Colgate? If so I love the kid, and think he had an awesome year, put up monster numbers while being ECAC defensive forward of the year and first team all star...Now comes the bad news..If that is the Jon Smyth you are talking about, he is uneligble to be drafted, as he is a Jan 82 Birthdate. Maybe you were thinking of Wilson, or Ryan Smyth?

CoolDude*

Travis Zajac C

League: BCHL

GP: 59
G: 43
A: 69
P: 112

I had BCHL Season Tickets this year but didn't get to see him play but I do know he dominated the league.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
TMHUNH said:

Mike Lundin
Keith Yandle
Billy Ryan
Jeff Caron
Rob Bellamy
Casey Borer
Daniel Winnik
Kyle Wilson

Scouting Report: Casey Borer is a male student at St. Cloud state. He has 2 arms and 2 legs and plays hockey

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Mike Lundin impressed the hell out of me.

But, the superior freshman defenseman in Hockey East was Cleve Kinley. By his senior year, you can bet that this kid will be one of the top D-Men in the country.

p.s. winnik sucks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
TMHUNH said:
Agreed on Sigalet. Although he has received some talk on here, but not enough that I even know his style of play.

As for Jon Smyth...do you mean Jon Smyth from Colgate? If so I love the kid, and think he had an awesome year, put up monster numbers while being ECAC defensive forward of the year and first team all star...Now comes the bad news..If that is the Jon Smyth you are talking about, he is uneligble to be drafted, as he is a Jan 82 Birthdate. Maybe you were thinking of Wilson, or Ryan Smyth?

Yes that Jon Smyth, I didn't know he was a late birthdate, just thought since he was a sophomore he'd be in this draft. He did put up some impressive numbers on a low scoring team.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
ryanlambert said:
p.s. winnik sucks.

LOL....well at least someone other than me mentioned his name on the boards. ;)

I respect your opinion.

But I think the guy deserves SOME recognition

He was ranked AHEAD of TJ Hensick at Mid-terms.

If I get time later, and anybody cares, I will try to write up a good report on Winnik, so that maybe at least people are familiar with his name around here.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
TMHUNH said:

Mike Lundin
Keith Yandle
Billy Ryan
Jeff Caron
Rob Bellamy
Casey Borer
Daniel Winnik
Kyle Wilson

I've mentioned several of these names before becasue i get to see a few college games a year....

I like Lundin, Caron, and Wilson. Winnik looked like a player one game, but then the next disappeared, maybe because he wasn't getting as much icetime.

Yandle & Ryan were top college recruits, i've heard great things about Yandle. Ryan has been a super scorer in HS but has a very thin frame - 5'11, 155.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Kyle Wilson

After seeing Wilson play for 2 years, he showed tremendous improvement over time. Decent size, plays with heart, and shows some goal scoring ability. However, he is not an exceptionally fast skater and he wore down towards the end of last season. Even in games, he would perform much better in the 1st period than the 3rd

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Two more names that I'd add to the list that no one seems to be talking about that IMO played pretty well this season:

Olivier Bouchard, Union College
Mike Alexiou, Merrimack

I've seen Jonathan Sigalet this season. He's a mobile defenseman (that he is moves well...and I don't just mean skating either), possesses hockey smarts and has a knack for not only being aware of what's going on around him, but also how to react accordingly.

RoyIsALegend*

Let me shed some light on Daniel Winnik.

He is my best friend and grew up across the street from me, so perhaps my opinion is biased but I've seen him play at every level he's been at, from A, AA and AAA to Junior A with the Wexford Raiders to the University of New Hampshire.

Winnik is big... even at 6'2", the guy is thick and can be a physically imposing centerman. Daniel has played some left wing in his life, but is much better suited at the center position. His offensive game has always been better than his defensive side, but this year UNH he was seeing some penalty-killing action and performed well.

He is not the best skater in the world, nor is he the smoothest. However, when Winnik gets a full head of steam going, it's hard to stop him. A motivated Daniel Winnik is likely one of the best players on the Wildcats. At a younger age, he was more of a goal scorer due to an incredible slap shot and stickhandling. His center duties have made him more of a playmaker, and that's what he'll likely end up being if he turns professional.

I don't like the fact that people say he sucks because of his point totals this season. He was a healthy scratch early on and after UNH had 8 regulars suspended, Daniel was given the opportunity to perform and cemented himself as a main-stay.

If I had to forecast his role in the pros, it'd likely be as a very good third line centerman with some offensive skill or an all-around second line centerman. Oh, anybody who thinks he is soft needs a reality check. He loves to hit and loves to get hit as well. Likely won't drop the gloves though.

He's actually at my house right now and staying here until this weekend before we go up to the cottage. He was a little upset when he saw some of the comments in regards to his potential, and rightfully so. He'll be a heart-and-soul type player with a drive to win.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Mike Lundin
Lundin is a skilled defenseman who possesses exceptional playmaking abilities and athleticism. While he has good size, he could stand to bulk up. He is an excellent skater with good acceleration. Possesses some good hands and great passing ability. He also shows tremendous confidence with the puck. He can be utilized in every type of situation, including quarterbacking the power play. He possesses very good vision and hockey sense. He is positionally solid. Possesses a good, hard shot. He makes excellent outlet passes, has the ability to both jump up into plays and lead the rush up the ice. Possesses a great attitude and seemingly tireless work ethic. Bio from HF NCAA page, you can also see Wilson's bio as well.
I believe that Sigalet did not opt into this years draft :dunno: don't know if this is correct.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KING ELVI said:
Mike Lundin
Lundin is a skilled defenseman who possesses exceptional playmaking abilities and athleticism. While he has good size, he could stand to bulk up. He is an excellent skater with good acceleration. Possesses some good hands and great passing ability. He also shows tremendous confidence with the puck. He can be utilized in every type of situation, including quarterbacking the power play. He possesses very good vision and hockey sense. He is positionally solid. Possesses a good, hard shot. He makes excellent outlet passes, has the ability to both jump up into plays and lead the rush up the ice. Possesses a great attitude and seemingly tireless work ethic. Bio from HF NCAA page, you can also see Wilson's bio as well.
I believe that Sigalet did not opt into this years draft :dunno: don't know if this is correct.

Yes no Sigalet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->