OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I've read "soccer" actually isn't american word. What a shock! It's from Britain! It actually means associate football.

Soccer is used in Australia, Canada, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa, and the US.

Sick of all the butt hurt over the usage of the term. In all these countries besides Japan, the word football is used to describe another more popular sport within their respective countries. Get over it.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The problem with the World Cup is, despite the furor and excitement of the tournament itself, the momentum cannot carry over in this country for a full four years. In Europe, they have the European Cup in two years time, and that keeps Europeans interested in international soccer in between World Cups.

The American continent needs the equivalent of the European Cup. Not that "Copa America" crap, but a full fledged Americas tournament that includes every country in North America, Central America and South America. If you have a tournament where the US, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil are participating in, stakes would be huge, ratings would be huge, and interest in international soccer in this country would be sustained.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Soccer was just only starting to come in when I was kid so it was baseball for me. Though my younger brother really took to it. I remember hitting intermediate school and there was a pseudo soccer game we played and it was called speedball. One could actually catch the ball and could take two steps and then have to throw or kick it along with normal soccer stuff. Plus one could throw to a player beyond the end line and score a TD as well as score kicking over the goal net as sort of a field goal.

On topic not a big soccer guy at all but I still watch a few DC United games over a season but did have some world cup games on this weekend in the back ground while multitasking but they were still entertaining.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Flashes of brillance on the part of some of the Ghana attackers. US has to keep the pedal to the metal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't believe we won. Bradley was abysmal. Beasley was awful. Johannsson did nothing. If Jozy is out we're screwed. Poor passing, terrible possession... that was one of the worst games I've seen us play. Thankfully the back line looked organized. Need to pick it up against Portugal and go for the W.

Klinsmann, for all his right decisions, made a poor one not including Landon. You cannot convince me Donovan doesn't do more for this team right now than Johannsson, Green, or Wondolowski.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I had US-Ghana in the background. Can't say US looked particularly promising, but seemed more in control than usual at least when needing to string a few passes together to relieve pressure.

But they have good chances to come out of the group. Portugal has been predictably underwhelming.

Overall, this World Cup is somehow less interesting than some recent previous ones. The best players in the world remain trapped on subpar teams, in particular Argentina seems to have taken another step back. Spain got older. Brazil seems all over the place. Italy, Netherlands, Germany are solid but less than brilliant (Holland's 5-1 will be an aberration I think)...

Oh well, maybe one of those teams will find some magic later on.. Still nice to watch n' all..

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
artilector, keep an eye for Chile. No one is talking about them because they are not a traditional power, but they looked utterly dominant against a scrappy Australian team. Their offence is phenomenal. I see Chile taking a lot of teams by surprise and moving deep into the tournament.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Interestingly if the US manages to hold on to second and make it to the stage of 16, they will face the winner of group H, which is probably going to be either Belgium or Russia. A Russia/US game would obviously be a lot of fun.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Interestingly if the US manages to hold on to second and make it to the stage of 16, they will face the winner of group H, which is probably going to be either Belgium or Russia. A Russia/US game would obviously be a lot of fun.

Can Howard move a pipe behind him?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
artilector, keep an eye for Chile. No one is talking about them because they are not a traditional power, but they looked utterly dominant against a scrappy Australian team. Their offence is phenomenal. I see Chile taking a lot of teams by surprise and moving deep into the tournament.

Chile is a fun team, they usually seem to get exposed against the top teams, but I'll be cheering for them to upset somebody.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Can Howard move a pipe behind him?

Nah, Russia would start with 10 men, and Psaki would explain why.

Russian team is a big mystery to me, though. After 2008, whenever I watch them I feel like I am watching a worse copy of some other good team. Although I haven't watched them much in this cycle, so... I will generate optimism from my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->