OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.

kogeh

May 14, 2011
Zagreb
they got a good coach but their play completely relies on neymar and thats just not a way to win imho.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't wait to see Spain and the Netherlands today. Interested to see how NED looks... don't think their team is as strong as it was 4 years ago especially with Strootman, van der Vaart, and van der Wiel out.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Mexico deserved their win today. They were twice victims of more poor officiating having had perfectly good goals wrongly ruled out for offsides.

Cameroon looked like a team that had just met each other in the lockerroom before the game and that the coach's game plan was given to them in a language they didn't understand.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Mexico deserved their win today. They were twice victims of more poor officiating having had perfectly good goals wrongly ruled out for offsides.

Cameroon looked like a team that had just met each other in the lockerroom before the game and that the coach's game plan was given to them in a language they didn't understand.

Wasn't impressed with Eto'o, at all. Needs to be surrounded by elite talent for his game to be effective. He wasn't dangerous at all during that match, and blew a perfect cross.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well the Dutch were very much outplayed but somehow go in after 45 minutes 1-1 after a fantastic goal by van Persie...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Robben's goal just now was very nice. Controlled it great, a la Bergkamp, but had a little more time to turn Pique and then score.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well Costa will be getting the next game off. I wonder if Torres or Villa will get the start or if they will go false nine?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
First of all these are not my dark horses, someone else brought those 3 teams up. I was simply making fun of the Fifa rankings.

But I would say without a doubt none of those 3 teams are likely to win this tournament IMO. And if indeed England are the 6th best odds to win the tournament anyone putting money on them is a complete fool as you deserve WAY better odds than that. If I had to pick one of those 3 teams it would have to be Uruguay since this tournament is in South America but with the major questions about Suarez's knee I don't like their chances either at this point.

Honestly anyone outside of the big 4 of Spain, Germany, Brazil, and Argentina going into this tournament is a dark horse. I guess it is hard to say a traditional power like Italy is a dark horse as they definitely have enough quality if Balotelli doesn't flake out so ok not them. So yeah 27 dark horses...
Holland is a dark horse? Undefeated in qualifying and defending runner-ups. What?
I'm going to assume you don't really follow football(soccer) if that is what you are basing this on.

The Dutch have no chance whatsoever. They are in a tough group to begin with. They lost their workhorse in midfield a few months ago when Strootman tore his ACL playing for Roma. The guy who was going to replace him, who was in no way the same type of player and was already going to be a serious step down, van der Vaart, just dropped out with a calf injury. And their defense is made up of guys who either haven't moved out of the Dutch league, which is a decent league but is definitely 2nd tier, or play for lower tier teams in bigger leagues and not too well mind you. Even the guy who pulls the strings in midfield, Sneijder, is a far cry from the player he was 4 years ago having to play in Turkey for the last few seasons.

They have a couple of world class forwards and that is pretty much about it. The Dutch had a cake qualifying group. They will be lucky to get out of their 1st round group in Brazil.

And I'm a huge fan of the Oranje but that is a team in transition that even if Robben and van Persie are fantastic has no hope.

Real hot take there.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
You are aware Spain lost their first game in the last World Cup also right? How'd that work out...?

This isn't about Spain. This is about the following direct quotes from you:

Millhaus said:
The Dutch have no chance whatsoever.

Millhaus said:
They will be lucky to get out of their 1st round group in Brazil.

Millhaus said:
And I'm a huge fan of the Oranje but that is a team in transition that [...] has no hope.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
St. Iker gifted them 2 goals, which isn't something I think anyone expected. And when the going got tough Spain just wilted.

Van Gaal did a great job at halftime because the Oranje were a different team in the 2nd half not letting Spain have time on the ball and pushing the pace. Not having to go into the break down a goal was huge also.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
This isn't about Spain. This is about the following direct quotes from you:

I 100% stand by what I said. The Dutch have absolutely no hope whatsoever to win this tournament. 45 minutes of bliksem doesn't make a world class team. They don't have close to enough quality top to bottom to consistently beat the teams they would need to beat to win this. One game, now matter how emphatic a victory, doesn't change that.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The legendary match, anyway.

But to win this tournament you have to peak around quarter/semi/final. You can't peak at the beginning of the month long tournament.

Casillas got worse. He isn't a big guy and his mistakes are costly. But overall I think Spain still can get some good results in this Cup. Or provide us with drama! Brilliant setup.

5 defenders for the Dutch team and no real center control. This is not good and they will be solved sooner than later. But what a showing! A stylish play. Not a fan of Oranje but this was superb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->