Discord chat coming to PS5 'soon'.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's been on Xbox for ages but...what's the point?

Cross-platform voice chat. In my group friends on consoles usually have to phone in to join the voice chat on discord, it's ridiculous.

Cross-platform status: it's nice to know if friends on other platforms are online

Plus it's just better than the garbage voice chat apps that come with the consoles

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cross-platform voice chat. In my group friends on consoles usually have to phone in to join the voice chat on discord, it's ridiculous.

Cross-platform status: it's nice to know if friends on other platforms are online

Plus it's just better than the garbage voice chat apps that come with the consoles
I've never had issues with the voice chat on Xbox.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've never had issues with the voice chat on Xbox.
Version 1 of Discord on Xbox required you to use the Xbox Phone app to use the Discord chat which was stupid beyond measure.

I saw @Oogie Boogie has it set up to show what ps5 he is playing on discord but i don't know how to do that. I'm kind of mixed on this.
It's in Beta right now but basically you'll have connect your Discord to PlayStation. I'm not sure if it's going to be an app or part of the PlayStation OS.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Version 1 of Discord on Xbox required you to use the Xbox Phone app to use the Discord chat which was stupid beyond measure.

It's in Beta right now but basically you'll have connect your Discord to PlayStation. I'm not sure if it's going to be an app or part of the PlayStation OS.
Why would anyone on Xbox use Discord when the chat is as good as it is?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
All my friends are on Xbox. Plus, with the Xbox app, you can join parties and talk with people, even if you're on a computer or on a phone.

And how about a PlayStation?

So there's no need for Discord on Xbox.

There's no need for you...

Playing a game with players on PC, Xbox and PlayStation all at the same time is pretty common these days, having everyone able to talk to each other is important. Being able to see who is online and what they are playing is also nice.

Even for groups that don't have PlayStation players in them Discord is still useful. The xbox app on PC is terrible, nobody wants to have to use that just because some of their friends play on consoles.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And how about a PlayStation?

There's no need for you...

Playing a game with players on PC, Xbox and PlayStation all at the same time is pretty common these days, having everyone able to talk to each other is important. Being able to see who is online and what they are playing is also nice.

Even for groups that don't have PlayStation players in them Discord is still useful. The xbox app on PC is terrible, nobody wants to have to use that just because some of their friends play on consoles.
I know there's cross play, I play World Of Tanks on my Series X. And getting to talk with PS players on that game would be useless as Xbox and PS players have completely opposite tactics for maps. :laugh:

You can play on PS and be in a Xbox party via the app on your phone, I have a friend who spends all her money on Xbox and PS and she's often been in a party via the app while playing a game on her PS.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I know there's cross play, I play World Of Tanks on my Series X. And gettign to talk with PS players on that game would be useless as Sbos and PS players have completely opposite tactics for maps. :laugh:

Oh, well if you don't want to talk to players on PlayStation on your tank game than I guess MS and Sony should scrap the Discord integrations they have been working on. I don't know what they were thinking, they should have just asked you first.

You can play on PS and be in a Xbox party via the app on your phone, I have a friend who spends all her money on Xbox and PS and she's often been in a party via the app while playing a game on her PS.

I don't know how you can type that out and not see the use case for Discord here. Who would want to use voice chat from their phone when they could do it through their console via Discord?

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh, well if you don't want to talk to players on PlayStation on your tank game than I guess MS and Sony should scrap the Discord integrations they have been working on. I don't know what they were thinking, they should have just asked you first.

I don't know how you can type that out and not see the use case for Discord here. Who would want to use voice chat from their phone when they could do it through their console via Discord?
Because nobody else is using it? I don't know anyone among the Finns on my friends list who use discord on Xbox. I've asked a few, they don't see the need for it, everyone's in a party chat, whether on Xbox or PC or other console.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Because nobody else is using it? I don't know anyone among the Finns on my friends list who use discord on Xbox. I've asked a few, they don't see the need for it, everyone's in a party chat, whether on Xbox or PC or other console.

Yes, on other console, via a terrible voice chat on phone system.

If your friend could easily join your chat through her console obviously she would do that instead of using her phone. Having Discord on all the major systems would allow that option to exist.

We're just going in circles at this point. Just because you don't use something, doesn't mean it isn't useful.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, on other console, via a terrible voice chat on phone system.

If your friend could easily join your chat through her console obviously she would do that instead of using her phone. Having Discord on all the major systems would allow that option to exist.

We're just going in circles at this point. Just because you don't use something, doesn't mean it isn't useful.
Define terrible? I tried it with a friend, I could easily hook my Turtle Beach headphone to my phone and the audio quality was the same as if I had been on Xbox. This friend who has a PS has just used her phone headset to talk with us and has no problem with it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Define terrible? I tried it with a friend, I could easily hook my Turtle Beach headphone to my phone and the audio quality was the same as if I had been on Xbox.

Because now you're only getting audio from your phone, not your console to hear the game you're trying to play.

Yes you could buy a mixer to combine audio sources. But I don't see how that's easier or better than just using a discord app on the console would be. The average person just wants to pick up the controller and be able to quickly join their friends and play/talk without having to buy and set up something, and then still have to use their phone just to play a game.

Even after doing all that, you still lose all the features you get with discord. Social media stuff for people who care about that, cross-platform online status and better audio quality and options.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To play games with people who have cross platform enabled like Destiny 2 or Call of Duty.
My friends who still play CoD, always with a full team of Finns in a party so again, what's the need?

Because now you're only getting audio from your phone, not your console to hear the game you're trying to play.

Yes you could buy a mixer to combine audio sources. But I don't see how that's easier or better than just using a discord app on the console would be. The average person just wants to pick up the controller and be able to quickly join their friends and play/talk without having to buy and set up something, and then still have to use their phone just to play a game.

Even after doing all that, you still lose all the features you get with discord. Social media stuff for people who care about that, cross-platform online status and better audio quality and options.
This friend gets the game audio from the home theater system, much to "joy" of her neighbors, if she is in a party via the app.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah I’m in a local board game group and we occasionally play cross platform video games together like dead by daylight and stuff and we’re all in a discord server too. Assuming I understand how this works this is going to be nice for me to just chat in the discord server while I’m on my PS5 playing those cross platform games with them.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah I’m in a local board game group and we occasionally play cross platform video games together like dead by daylight and stuff and we’re all in a discord server too. Assuming I understand how this works this is going to be nice for me to just chat in the discord server while I’m on my PS5 playing those cross platform games with them.
Yeah but some Finnish people with Xboxes are able to talk using other means so it's completely pointless, didn't you hear?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Right, so you can see how stupid having to do that is.
What's stupid about it? From the sounds of it, it's pretty loud.

Yeah but some Finnish people with Xboxes are able to talk using other means so it's completely pointless, didn't you hear?
We also don't like PS players. In any game, by the sounds of the cursing from the people who still play CoD. :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What's stupid about it? From the sounds of it, it's pretty loud.

We also don't like PS players. In any game, by the sounds of the cursing from the people who still play CoD. :laugh:
You dislike people because of the type of plastic and silicon they use? Enlightening worldview. Amazing the tribalism people have to brands.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You dislike people because of the type of plastic and silicon they use? Enlightening worldview. Amazing the tribalism people have to brands.
No, it's their game behaviour. On World Of Tank Xbox players don't like PS players , because they play with completely opposite tactics and even according to WOT Stats, are inferior players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00