Dirtiest player in NHL history

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
No. 1 with a bullet, Ulfie

No. 2 Claude Lemieux, the hit on Draper alone puts him here (and I hate the dead things)

No. 3 Dale Hunter

dishonorable mention - Bryan Marchment.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
mcphee said:
I'd draft Clarke anyday,but c'mon. He'd spear his mother in the eye and jump behind Schultz or Kelly if the old bag retaliated. Great player, but you can't change history. BTW,John, I agree that the KHarlamov slash is more a legend than anything else. It was never mentionned during the actual series but became worse as the years went on. Ferguson claims he sent Clarke out after him, let's pile on Fergy too,then.

:lol

MacDaddy TLC*

mcphee said:
I'd draft Clarke anyday,but c'mon. He'd spear his mother in the eye and jump behind Schultz or Kelly if the old bag retaliated. Great player, but you can't change history.
Exactly!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
bland said:
I remember a story where Claude Lemieux told Charlie Simmer that he had, ahem, "used", a copy of the Playboy that Simmer's wife was in.
the best responce would be "That's as close as you're ever going to get."

Yeah Clarke was a bag on the ice.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
So many responses, but how did Trent "Late Hit" McCleary escape this discussion?
Also, if you want to talk about guys Orr was weary of, you can start with Hilliard Graves, the leg check waiting to happen.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
04' hockey said:
[MOD] Then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????
Clarke had and still has the utmost respect for Bobby Orr, they both played with great intensity.....Clarke would never disrespect another player who gave it all like Orr ALWAYS did.
Some of you young posters should do a little research on the players from that era before running your mouths. Those players deserve a little more respect than they're getting in this thread, especially Clarke. Clarke gave as HE GOT, thats a stand-up player in my book.....maybe some of you would prefer the Ice Capades, a little less violence for your tastes?????
:teach:

Certainly a great player, top 20 all time, but that slash on Kharlamov was pretty cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
04' hockey said:
[MOD] Then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????
Clarke had and still has the utmost respect for Bobby Orr, they both played with great intensity.....Clarke would never disrespect another player who gave it all like Orr ALWAYS did.
That way he wouldn't have to worry about getting hacked by him.

I'm surprised we've missed Ken "the Rat" linsman.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Ulf Samuelsson. Nevermind his indiscriminate nightly cheap shots and hacks on guys around the league...the fact that he tried several times to take Neely's leg out before he finally succeeded shows how unconscionable he was. He didn't just flip out and do something irrational or get caught out of position or something....he planned out a career ending type hit on a guy. What a gutless scum bag.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
roast said:
Certainly a great player, top 20 all time, but that slash on Kharlamov was pretty cheap.

Top 20 all time? He may have been top 20 at stickwork!

Crossroads*

04' hockey said:
Some of you young posters should do a little research on the players from that era before running your mouths. Those players deserve a little more respect than they're getting in this thread, especially Clarke. Clarke gave as HE GOT, thats a stand-up player in my book.....maybe some of you would prefer the Ice Capades, a little less violence for your tastes?????
:teach:

And the posters here also deserve a little more respect. Every single post you've made in this thread had an attack towards another poster [MOD]. Get an imagination and simmer down on the homerism.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Ulf Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux, Sean Hill, Darius Kaspiraitis (sp?), among others.
I cheered at the top of my lungs the game Neely beat the snot out of a turtling Lemeiux, it was a glorious sight for this Bruins fan :handclap:

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Glenn Anderson used his stick like a scalpel. Great skater, but he was always spearing and hacking... He was one dirty dude.

Dirtiest hit I've ever seen? Anyone old enough to remember the '84 Canada Cup? Mark Messier was rounding the back of his net at full speed with a Russian coming the other way at full speed. Mess stuck his elbow square into his yapper. Dude was out out out. I'm surprised he didn't kill him.

Needless to say, Messier had a lot of room for the rest of the series..... :p:

Last edited:

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
if life is a series of moments . . .

the dirtiest single moments sadly emblazoned on my mental hard drive -- Gretzky's back bending the wrong way and his head whiplashing backwards as that coward gary suter cross-checked him in the small of his back in the Canada Cup, and then seeing gretz's body flop like a ragdoll into the boards face first. gretzky was never the same, nor would any of us be, with that kind of spinal assault. why that little o.j. suter was allowed to play in the league after that is beyond me. it's like having that weazel who shot john lennon join the Beatles. why would the guy who is trying to destroy the game be allowed to be part of it?

the other image that will never leave me, is todd bertuzzi chasing that rookie around the ice for a whole shift, and when the kid wouldn't fight him, grabbing his sweater from behind, and ... you know the rest.

there are too many great hockey players in the minors, who play hockey, who can fill the NHL. all the people mentioned in this thread should be turfed from the league and allowed to live their lives, just not in the same arena as law-abiding civilized adults.

KariyaIsGod*

Gary Suter...

On top of the Gretzky cheap shot, he ruined another great career in Paul Kariya. Just sick what he did to Paul...

He should have been charged.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hasbro said:
That way he wouldn't have to worry about getting hacked by him.

I'm surprised we've missed Ken "the Rat" linsman.

I agree. At least Bobby Clarke was a helluva player. Linesman was good but no Clarke and whenever someone wanted to retaliate for "The Rat's" transgressions, he'd hide behind Holmgren.

But Linesman got his from Hospodar one night when Boxcar crosschecked Linesman while he was face first on the ice. I think he ended up breaking his nose. Ahhh, an eye for eye (or nose)! ;)

rowall

Dec 2, 2004
Kelowna
Gary Suter is a definite. Messier ranks high with Clarke they're both a bit psychotic. But here's on oldie. Eddie Shore. Check out his history. Brutal to say the least. On and off the ice. He was also a terror of a coach and owner in the AHL. As an example I had a coach in JR. that played for Shore in th A. He claimed that if they were injured and couldn't play then Shore would have them selling concessions. This was obviously before the Player's Assc. was formed. Needless to say a lot of guys played with serious injuries in those days.

rowall

Dec 2, 2004
Kelowna
Played against a lot of dirty players. Knew a lot of dirty players. But for the most part nevr met one I didn't like off the ice. One thing about hockey players is that it's all business on the ice. Let's face it. It's a violent game and some are just better at being violent than others.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Of all time? Bobby Clarke, easily. Although from what I've read, Eddie Shore was no saint!

Mark Messier is a chicken-sh*t player, too, and always has been! He's gooned more people and gotten away with it than anyone I've every seen in 35 years of watching. Sickening.

The Rocket was a cheap player, too, remember. He thought nothing of clubbing others in the head with his stick if he perceived that they had tried to stop him in some way.

Scott Stevens and Derian Hatcher are right up there. Total dirty players who REFUSE to hit without leading with their elbows to the face. Go sit for a few minutes, boys. Like 2 minutes for elbowing, or 5 for intent to injure. Scum.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
Of all time? Bobby Clarke, easily. Although from what I've read, Eddie Shore was no saint!

Mark Messier is a chicken-sh*t player, too, and always has been! He's gooned more people and gotten away with it than anyone I've every seen in 35 years of watching. Sickening.

The Rocket was a cheap player, too, remember. He thought nothing of clubbing others in the head with his stick if he perceived that they had tried to stop him in some way.

Scott Stevens and Derian Hatcher are right up there. Total dirty players who REFUSE to hit without leading with their elbows to the face. Go sit for a few minutes, boys. Like 2 minutes for elbowing, or 5 for intent to injure. Scum.
Nice post. Lets not forget Gordie too. While Messier is my all time, as for right now I would have to go with Chris Pronger. I've seen people make a fool out of him until he starts throwing elbows and spearing people. It makes me sick when people say he is a modern Larry Robinson. Sure Robinson could get down and dirty when called for but his game wasn't based around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad