DiPietro/ Conklin almost a lock in net against Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
Ron Wilson said it twice so far, that since team USA is playing 3 games in 4 nights, Esche will start against Canada and Russia, and another goalie will most likely start against Slovakia.

Who do you think it will be?

I think it's most likely going to be DiPietro.

Hopefully Esche starts in the elimination round.

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
Esche made some remarkable saves against Canada, so if he keeps it up, he should be the starter in any elimination round. DiPietro would get the nod against Slovakia, just MHO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Esche is playing tonight against Russia and DiPietro will get the nod against Slovakia. If Esche comes up big tonight I don't think there's any doubt he's the man.

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
Reveille said:
You don't think that Dipi has more potential than Esche or Conklin?

I think Esche, after the season he had last year, and the playoff run he enjoyed, is on track to become one of the elite goalies in the league. I wouldn't put him up there with Marty just yet, but I bet you could real soon. He plays in a system, that will help elevate his game.

novak

Mar 24, 2004
I think Esche, after the season he had last year, and the playoff run he enjoyed, is on track to become one of the elite goalies in the league. I wouldn't put him up there with Marty just yet, but I bet you could real soon. He plays in a system, that will help elevate his game.

Whoa, slow down there. Esche is clearly a good goaltender, and his stock is obviously on the rise, but to say that he may soon be on par with Marty is going over the top.

Esche is right now the more solid of the 3. Better rebound control and better lateral movement than the other 2. In the past his problem has been going down too early but he looks sharp right now.

Dipietro probably has better reflexes and better positioning, and is certainly a better puckhandler, but his problem has always been betwen his ears. He gets over-excited and bad goals can haunt him for a while.

Conklin's problem is between his legs (har!), seriously how many goals in the five hole in exhibition. Once he starts moving holes open up all over the place. Can look brillaint at times but makes saves look harder than they are. Usually a warning sign.

If Wilson was serious about giving time to a back-up it should be Dipietro, no question.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Esche was the only reason that the US kept it close with the Russians tonight. Wilson may be nervous about going with Conklin or Dipietro against the Slovaks. If the US loses this game they could face Canada in Toronto for their quarterfinal matchup.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'd say without question Dipietro has a higher ceiling than Esche and definitely Conklin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->