Dinamo Riga 17/18 - Predicted Gargarin Cup Champions!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Riga is announcing the players they signed every day now, so things are moving forward, at least. At the same time, other than Stollery, no impact signings yet.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Well Riga is announcing the players they signed every day now, so things are moving forward, at least. At the same time, other than Stollery, no impact signings yet.

Yes its about time we had some news, they don't even update their website so much.

I'm sure the usual Team Latvia guys will be back, just depends what kind of recruiting goes on. Hopefully we get a nice big name in to keep it exciting this season

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Does anyone have any expectations for the upcoming season? Would you say that things will be most likely the same with Riga staying one or two levels below mediocrity or can they do something different and maybe a playoff push this time? I know not many signings have been made or announced but I thought maybe some improvements that hint something may have happened. To me it looks like they will not be as bad but still unsure if I must expect something worth seeing from Dinamo. What is the problem for them? Lack of money? Lack of Latvian hockey players?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Does anyone have any expectations for the upcoming season? Would you say that things will be most likely the same with Riga staying one or two levels below mediocrity or can they do something different and maybe a playoff push this time? I know not many signings have been made or announced but I thought maybe some improvements that hint something may have happened. To me it looks like they will not be as bad but still unsure if I must expect something worth seeing from Dinamo. What is the problem for them? Lack of money? Lack of Latvian hockey players?

Like you said there isn't much activity yet and I don't expect too many import signings - hope I'm wrong though!

Getting Sandis Ozo as HC is a nice move. The team has tanked badly the past few seasons, attendance has been shocking, rightly so its not exactly cheap to go in a country that isn't exactly rich!, and when you are getting beat every game what's the point in showing up? - So I think having Sandis as coach will give some renewed interested, he's the legend after all!

We have new sponsors on board who seem to care about hockey - WinGas, lets see how much money they & Gazprom give us this year :handclap:

I wouldn't say 'lack of money' just where does it come from in such a small economy? Remember Latvia is just over 2m population - yet has a team in one of the most expensive leagues! I think the budget last year was something like €8m. I'd expect it to stay the same this time too.

I'm just hoping we don't embarrass ourselves again like last season, 11 wins is ridiculous

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't say 'lack of money' just where does it come from in such a small economy? Remember Latvia is just over 2m population - yet has a team in one of the most expensive leagues!

Well I live in Kaunas and Zalgiris is going to have >10m euros budget next season without having major sponsors like Gazprom so when there's will there's a way. But Riga has to start from the bottom to build reputation.

Lack of Latvian hockey players obviously isn't the problem as best of those aren't even playing in Riga, lack of money obviously is.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Lack of Latvian hockey players obviously isn't the problem as best of those aren't even playing in Riga, lack of money obviously is.

I'd agree with that, players don't seem to have to stay in Riga to make money. I've read that Ozo was on €800k when he came back and then went to Atlant to 'cash in' for his retirement. Shows the kind of salaries we can afford right now

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And Abols signs with Orebro which a bit of a head shaker. Because he is ready for the first team, he is cheap, he is Latvian.. Why the hell didn't they sign him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
+/-? Come on. Playing for bad teams isn't a crime.

Lessio is unspectacular but decent. But still, we don't even know what his role is supposed to be.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
His minus/plus doesn't look good at all, though. I mean, he is consistently on the wrong side.

I was just looking at his experience, plenty of NHL call ups. The guys we've been signing the past few years wouldn't have looked out of place in the UK League :laugh: These recent two look more like guys who may work in the KHL... hopefully

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
I wonder if Riga signs any Russians. They had Schastlivy and Toluzakov last year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was just looking at his experience, plenty of NHL call ups. The guys we've been signing the past few years wouldn't have looked out of place in the UK League :laugh: These recent two look more like guys who may work in the KHL... hopefully

At the same time, one of those UK League guys, Colton Gillies, got an extension. That kinda paints the full picture, this team, once again, is going to be terrible.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
At the same time, one of those UK League guys, Colton Gillies, got an extension. That kinda paints the full picture, this team, once again, is going to be terrible.

Haha, who doesn't enjoy competing for last place :handclap:

Gillies was playing like a man possessed during the last 2 games of the season. He was clearly looking for an extension, clearly it worked.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Dinamo signed Peters and Kristo who, on one hand, at one point were very close to an NHL jobs. On the other, played themselves out of the AHL pretty much, not to mention losing any kind of relevance to the NHL teams.

Overall, cautiously optimistic about those signings. Concerned Darzins isn't signed yet.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Damn I somewhat irrationally hated Peters in NHL. Do not like.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Jesus, this team will be garbage and that Ņiživijs and Laviņš combo on the bench :laugh: :laugh: probably two of the worst coaches in Latvia

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I would not hope for too much if I were you guys. In best case scenario I see us challenging 8th seed. Our coaching staff is very inexperienced and with players like ours it`s not a good sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->