Difficulty Mods for classic games (FF6, 7, 8, 10, Tactics, Chrono Trigger/Cross, ETC)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not sure if anyone will even be interested but...

I was a part of a forum called insane difficulty for a long time. It is no longer around as there were some issues between the owner of the forum and the members/administration team.

*You can find the mods here*

With that being said, I found that ngplus is hosting a back up of the forum and all the old difficulty files are available. Not only are the mods themselves available but difficulty editors, patching tools, memory editors, etc. Although the forums aren't active for posting (keep in mind this is just a back up) if you have any issues installing or getting a patch to work, most of the answers can be found via the stickied threads in forum section of the site for that particular game. You can also ask me but keep in mind it may take a bit of time before I can get back to you.

There are difficulty mods for the following games are available (My favorites are in bold):

Arcana
Breath of Fire III
Castlevania
Chrono Cross
Crono Trigger

Dark Souls (lol)
Dragon Warrior 3
FF VII
FFT (10+ different mods for FFT)
FF IV
FF IX
FF VI
FF VIII
FF X

Fire Emblem 8
Golden Sun
Grandia
Lufia 2
Mega Man
Ogre Battle
Return of the Dark Sorcerer
Shining Force 2
Super Mario RPG
Xenosaga (Episodes 1, 2 & 3)

If you find these games too hard but want to try modding your own game, there are editors available for Chrono Trigger, FFT & Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not gonna lie, I wish I had known about this back in 2010-2012.

I have mostly stopped retro gaming because I was a kid in the NES/SNES days. I played a lot of those games to death.

But some of my friends are still into this, they'll be happy about these mods!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Pretty cool, I don't have the biggest desire to go through the old RPGs I played, I've beaten them numerous times.

But the Castlevania SotN mod intrigues me, loved the game but it was way too easy, especially with some of the later builds in the game.

Would be interested in trying the Mega Man X ones as well(obviously).

Do they have any mods for beat-em-ups? Would be really interested in some Final Fight updates.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Pretty cool, I don't have the biggest desire to go through the old RPGs I played, I've beaten them numerous times.

But the Castlevania SotN mod intrigues me, loved the game but it was way too easy, especially with some of the later builds in the game.

Would be interested in trying the Mega Man X ones as well(obviously).

Do they have any mods for beat-em-ups? Would be really interested in some Final Fight updates.

I don't believe so. Most of the mods are extremely well done though and some are new gaming experiences all together. While you're replaying an old RPG, its a new experience on that old RPG. Some of them are just straight difficulty mods. There is a lot to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->