Differences between NHL'ers and possible replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat

MykeAbner said:
The numbers can say all they want, but AHL games are far from boring.

15,000-16,000 people showing up for a junior game leads me to believe that people can still enjoy hockey with replacement players just fine once they get by the myth that it is boring as hell.

it will be a cold day in hell before nhl ticket prices drop to that of the ahl.

people go out to watch junior/major-junior for a) the prices and b) the fact that these are the prospects of the future

when you make the prospects the main product...you wont see as many die hards

Lanny MacDonald*

Mat said:

Yes, certainly no die-hards around here, a site dedicated to prospects. And certainly no support shown for games featuring prospects like the WJC when it is played in NHLesque markets.

:shakehead

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
I know alot of people here think there's not alot of difference between possible minor league replacements and NHL players. Granted this is the UHL, but the numbers are pretty telling. Ignore them, dismiss them, or pretend they don't exist, I don't care.

The Motor City Mechanics have 4 NHL players on their roster-a 42 year old defensemen(Chelios), a defensemen still recovering from a torn ACL(Hatcher), a marginal 4th liner(Avery) and a solid 2nd liner(Smolinski). Before Hatcher joined them on February 5, they had compiled a 9-37 record, including an 0-12 November. Since they joined, they have a 22-7 record, including an 11-2 March, with a few games left.

On a side not, Hatcher looked like crap yesterday.

As for the quality of players, it's gonna be bad but that isn't really the point. The main goal is to get the striking players to cross the line. Like NFL players did in the 87 strike and that kills the union

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
MykeAbner said:
The numbers can say all they want, but AHL games are far from boring.

15,000-16,000 people showing up for a junior game leads me to believe that people can still enjoy hockey with replacement players just fine once they get by the myth that it is boring as hell.

If you think for one second that AHL hockey or for that matter, Junior hockey is better hockey to watch than the NHL, it is going to take a jack hammer to get the paper bag off your head. The only reason junior teams are getting 15,000 to 16,000 fans out to games is the fact in places like hockey crazy Vancouver and Calgary are starving for the game they love and it is the playoffs.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Mat said:
i predict you would see the same amount of die-hards.. hence the reason we acll them die-hards :dunno:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
andora said:
i predict you would see the same amount of die-hards.. hence the reason we acll them die-hards :dunno:
I agree

Prospects and the CHL has a lot of followers ..

Kelowna at Vancouver in the WHL playoffs on Saturday had 16,183 in attendance for the deciding game of the series ..

http://www.whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1000999

Lethbridge at Calgary of the WHL had 17,039 in attendance

http://www.whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1000983

St. Johns (baby leafs) verses Hamilton (baby Habs) April 1st in Hamilton had 13,692 in attendance

http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0405/scoringleaders.html

Some NHL teams with regular NHLers would love that kind of Support ..

Last edited:

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
bcrt2000 said:
i'm guessing a lot of talented europeans will make the jump if it comes to impasse (non NHLers of course... and really I don't think theres as big as a talent gap as we thought after some NHLers got embarassed in Europe this year)

How many Europeans do you know that are American? Because, as we all (should) know, you can't be a replacement worker for a US team if you're not American. That's why they'll be dredging the lower level minors like the UHL for replacement players.

Lanny MacDonald*

gc2005 said:
How many Europeans do you know that are American? Because, as we all (should) know, you can't be a replacement worker for a US team if you're not American. That's why they'll be dredging the lower level minors like the UHL for replacement players.

I thought this whole line of thinking had been debunked and that it had been shown that it will be up to INS as to whether they approve the work visa in question and has nothing to do with the workstoppage itself? The NHL seems to have no worries about where the players may be coming from so I suspect they are correct. I think their lawyers are probably a helluva lot more informed on the subject matter, and have been researching the issue for the last six years, than anyone here and there have been zero worries expressed from any of the teams in regards to getting qualified players to fill out rosters.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Iconoclast said:
I thought this whole line of thinking had been debunked and that it had been shown that it will be up to INS as to whether they approve the work visa in question and has nothing to do with the workstoppage itself? The NHL seems to have no worries about where the players may be coming from so I suspect they are correct. I think their lawyers are probably a helluva lot more informed on the subject matter, and have been researching the issue for the last six years, than anyone here and there have been zero worries expressed from any of the teams in regards to getting qualified players to fill out rosters.

Yup. Even the oft-quoted Avirom who consistently gets pointed to for "proof" that it's going to be impossible only said "there will be issues".

Not insurmountable issues. Just issues. And issues get dealt with.

Everyone is far too black and white on this immigration thing.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Mighty Duck said:
If you think for one second that AHL hockey or for that matter, Junior hockey is better hockey to watch than the NHL, it is going to take a jack hammer to get the paper bag off your head. The only reason junior teams are getting 15,000 to 16,000 fans out to games is the fact in places like hockey crazy Vancouver and Calgary are starving for the game they love and it is the playoffs.
the college and whl has been very entertaining - but - it's not even close to the nhl - you're totally right on that one

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
In case anyone was wondering, Motor City finished the season with a 12 game winning streak and ended up a game over .500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad