Did The Teams Get Their Escrow Money?

RTWAP*

We heard that the players got some of their escrow money back at the end of the year, which means that some of it was not returned to the players and instead was distributed to the teams.

Does anyone know how the pool of money is divided among the teams?

Or even better, has anyone seen an actual team-by-team breakdown of the disbursements?

I wonder if most teams will just add this money to this year's budget.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
We heard that the players got some of their escrow money back at the end of the year, which means that some of it was not returned to the players and instead was distributed to the teams.

Does anyone know how the pool of money is divided among the teams?

Or even better, has anyone seen an actual team-by-team breakdown of the disbursements?

I wonder if most teams will just add this money to this year's budget.

The players had ~10% withheld in escrow and got ~7% of it back - the league kept the remaining ~3%.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212247&hubname=
After having 10 per cent of their salaries withheld this past season as part of the escrow payment, the NHLPA today indicated to its membership that the players are getting most of it back.

Sources say the final accounting will result in players losing only three per cent of their salary and being rebated the seven per cent difference versus what was actually withheld.

The excess escrow funds are first used by the league to fund revenue sharing. Any remaining escrow funds after revenue sharing are split 30 ways and returned to the teams.

I have seen no reports (and don't think the league has publicised) how much of the excess escrow funds were returned to the teams (if any).

RTWAP*

Thanks. I'm thinking that all these front loaded contracts, plus the use of the 5% cap inflator this year, will result in a much higher escrow payment in 2007-2008.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Probably ... though I don't know if we'll see 28 teams over the midpoint this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad