Did the Malkin/Hagelin Combo Change How This Year Was Going?

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
It's clear: The first half of the season was bad. With only tinkering at the December Trade Freeze, no major moves were made. January 5th is the date when Malkin and Hagelin started playing consistently with each other. They've played together at 5v5 ever since. Since January 5th, the Penguins are 19-7-1. Before January 5th, the Penguins were 20-19-3.
5v5 Stats All YearTOIGFCF%FF%SF%SCF%On Ice SH%GF%
Malkin/Hagelin479:073054.4055.1056.9855.659.8061.22
Malkin without Hagelin420:071849.7748.5349.6046.707.2040.91
Hagelin without Malkin382:37853.6255.0253.6651.423.9036.36
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That GF% really sticks out.

Obviously, other players impacted the team, but I don't think any player(s) have had as much impact as the Malkin/Hagelin combo did.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Did it?

kJjSU3l.gif

rmHgi1h.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hagelin is a weird player. He’s worth about 2 million before December and 6 million after. His forecheck and ability to cover for defensemen is something that really plays into the Penguins team identity more than any other single individual.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
It's clear: The first half of the season was bad. With only tinkering at the December Trade Freeze, no major moves were made. January 5th is the date when Malkin and Hagelin started playing consistently with each other. They've played together at 5v5 ever since. Since January 5th, the Penguins are 19-7-1. Before January 5th, the Penguins were 20-19-3.
5v5 Stats All YearTOIGFCF%FF%SF%SCF%On Ice SH%GF%
Malkin/Hagelin479:073054.4055.1056.9855.659.8061.22
Malkin without Hagelin420:071849.7748.5349.6046.707.2040.91
Hagelin without Malkin382:37853.6255.0253.6651.423.9036.36
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That GF% really sticks out.

Obviously, other players impacted the team, but I don't think any player(s) have had as much impact as the Malkin/Hagelin combo did.

What do their hourly rates look like for scoring chance generation? Might help explain or account for the elevated shooting percentage.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What do their hourly rates look like for scoring chance generation? Might help explain or account for the elevated shooting percentage.

31.something for Geno & Hags, 30.24 for Geno on his own. 12.18 and 11.35 for High Danger. The High Danger conversion rate does stand out though - twice as many for Geno & Hagelin as for Geno on his own.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1. Eye test thing . . . playing with Hagelin and a forechecker on the other wing (Horny or Rust) has allowed Geno to play aggressively to his 200 foot strengths and the Geno we've gotten from that has in turn has reinforced Hagelin's success (it's Feds-Geno-Talbot redux).

2. Actually, the seeds were planted over the summer . . . it only took Sully half a season to see it . . .

Reactions: Casanova

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
1. Eye test thing . . . playing with Hagelin and a forechecker on the other wing (Horny or Rust) has allowed Geno to play aggressively to his 200 foot strengths and the Geno we've gotten from that has in turn has reinforced Hagelin's success (it's Feds-Geno-Talbot redux).

2. Actually, the seeds were planted over the summer . . . it only took Sully half a season to see it . . .

So you’re saying Ed Sheeran changed the entire season...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So you’re saying Ed Sheeran changed the entire season...

I can only assume that someone showed Sully the tweet right after the New Year and he was trying to figure out what the hell to do with the lines after that brutal home loss to Carolina . . .

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Wasn't it mentioned by someone that Hagelin didn't start feeling 100% from his foot/leg injury he was dealing with last season until January this year.

Hagelin mentions it in an interview that it didn’t heal properly for the playoffs (and no one knew why) but not sure how far into this season it affected him.

Reactions: billybudd

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I recall having a conversation with you earlier in the season. I was advocating putting Hagelin with Geno and you saying something to the effect that HCMS didn't think Hagelin had the skill to hang with Geno.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I recall having a conversation with you earlier in the season. I was advocating putting Hagelin with Geno and you saying something to the effect that HCMS didn't think Hagelin had the skill to hang with Geno.

That is correct. It's my understanding that HCMS thought that. Evidence of what was suggested to me was pretty strong, given that he tried everyone short of Iceburgh but including Kuhn there this season until finally turning to Hagelin.

Funny thing is, he doesn't have enough 'skill' to play with Malkin the way a Talbot or a Kulemin didn't have enough skill . . . the way they played with Geno before, like Hagelin now, allows Malkin to play to his strengths and to be more aggressive in terms of taking risks, and THAT Malkin gets more out of a Hagelin than a regular Malkin gets out of a more skilled winger.

Other funny thing is, with Horny on the RW, HGH has become our shutdown line, and that's the type of challenge that further fuels Geno out there . . . I think Sully has really figured that one out over these last 10 weeks.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think G/Hags saved the season by any means. They were the leaders, IMO, but everyone stepped it up a bit. We still should throw a party for #71 and what he's done this year. And IMO - let Hags run his contract out here. He's earned it at this point. Even through the peaks and valleys.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think G/Hags saved the season by any means. They were the leaders, IMO, but everyone stepped it up a bit. We still should throw a party for #71 and what he's done this year. And IMO - let Hags run his contract out here. He's earned it at this point. Even through the peaks and valleys.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't be open to keeping Hags after his contract ends, as long as the play keeps up and the legs are there. I'm not going to break the bank for him, but THIS Hagelin absolutely is the type of guy you want to keep for the balance of this 3-4 year window . . . I know, for example, that I'd rather pay THIS Hagelin 4M next year than THIS Sheary 3M next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean it’s one more year right?

Everything we need we have next year outside of top six winger.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What would his next contract be? Would anyone really pay him more than 3.5ish for his production? I'd be interested.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What would his next contract be? Would anyone really pay him more than 3.5ish for his production? I'd be interested.

I would not want to resign Hags, as much as I love the way he plays when he’s playing well. By his own admission he doesn’t get his legs going until after Christmas, so you have to factor that into his contract. He’ll also be 31 by the time his next contract starts. You’re risking his legs going if he gets too much term, and that’s what makes him worth the contract. So would I pay him $3.5 to be a half year player who plays well in the playoffs? Absolutely, but only for two years. I think someone will give him 4 years and maybe higher than $3-3.5 but IMO even 4 x 3 is too much term for what he is.... so I would expect that the Pens don’t resign him, but he should play out his term here next year if he continues playing as well as he has been...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure that I wouldn't be open to keeping Hags after his contract ends, as long as the play keeps up and the legs are there. I'm not going to break the bank for him, but THIS Hagelin absolutely is the type of guy you want to keep for the balance of this 3-4 year window . . . I know, for example, that I'd rather pay THIS Hagelin 4M next year than THIS Sheary 3M next year.

I'm not sure we'll be able to afford either Hags or Sheary once Guentzel's and Murray's raises kick in. Complete speculation this far out, but we know there's going to be casualties when that day comes, and the wingers seem an obvious place to look for savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->