Did NHLPA drop 24% rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I was surfing through the internet for other blogs and came across what appears to be a one that reports the NHLPA will not offer the 24% rollback if the season is cancelled.

Obviously, I'd like to know, has anyone read anything in any newspapers or heard on tv/radio of such a stance?

Other than Larry Brooks, that is.

here's the apparent new blog...
http://insidehockeynews.blogspot.com/

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
EricBowser said:
I was surfing through the internet for other blogs and came across what appears to be a one that reports the NHLPA will not offer the 24% rollback if the season is cancelled.

Obviously, I'd like to know, has anyone read anything in any newspapers or heard on tv/radio of such a stance?

if the season is cancelled, the NHLPA is not going to be in the position to drop things and make the negotiations go their way.

the Owners have money, they dont need to run teams. The players will be 1 year + with out receivering a normal paycheck. Lets see them go to the table and say "We are prepared the sit the entire year again"

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
EricBowser said:

[url="http://insidehockeynews.blogspot.com/"]http://insidehockeynews.blogspot.com/[/url]
seems logical to me..

1) if the season is cancelled, it means a 100% roll back for that season
2) the 24% offer was in exchange for no cap.

why would anyone think the players would give a cap AND a rollback ?

dr

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
Considering more than 60% of players won't be under contract next year, the PA would't be in position to negotiate any kind of meaningful rollback. In theory, that 24% rollback is like a 10% rollback (40% of the players under contract x .24) -- hardly enough to convince owners that have shown every indication that they are willing to keep the doors closed.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Next year, more contracts will have run out, so the 24% rollback will mean even less to the owners. The remaining contracts won't be more than another year or two (mostly), so the savings won't be much and will mostly be for teams with high payrolls (richer teams). If there is no hockey next year either, the "24%" remaining will be almost no money.

In other words, the 24% rollback isn't that much of a compromise, especially at this point. Also, I doubt the owners really mind not doing a rollback as long as they get linkage.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
on the other hand, pretty lame of the NHL to demand a salary cap when each team would only have $5-10 million of player contracts still on the books.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It appears that 24% is off the table if the league proposal forms the basis of the agreement.

On a side note, many players had stipulations in their contracts that if there was a work stoppage/lockout, the contract would effectively be on hiatus and would continue when play resumed. That means that the clock is not ticking on several contracts.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
do u have more info, as i'm interested to know just which players have "lockout" guarantees ?

i know owen nolan has one.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
hawker14 said:
do u have more info, as i'm interested to know just which players have "lockout" guarantees ?

i know owen nolan has one.

Any of the Sharks who signed multiyear deals that would run into the lockout. I don't have further info than that. Sharks management was on top of the situation early.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
SJeasy said:
It appears that 24% is off the table if the league proposal forms the basis of the agreement.

On a side note, many players had stipulations in their contracts that if there was a work stoppage/lockout, the contract would effectively be on hiatus and would continue when play resumed. That means that the clock is not ticking on several contracts.

The 24% rollback was entirely a PA idea, NEVER proposed, nor asked for by the owners. The Owners will not pull it off the table, but I would suggest that the Owners would be willing to reduce/remove the rollback if the players agreed to a cap. The players let the bag out of the hat on that one, its their job to get it back in.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
EricBowser said:

Yet another reason the Net is starting to really stink. No the players likely haven't done this. Look use your reason and stop paying attention to those who don't know or understand what is taking place

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
In my opinion, the 24% rollback was never anything other than a trial balloon sent up the the NHLPA to see if it might entice the nhl to consider somthing other than a cap/cost certainty. If the nhl had shown any willingness at all to move away from their position, that 24% rollback would have been withdrawn faster than a Al MacKinnis slapshot.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
barnburner said:
In my opinion, the 24% rollback was never anything other than a trial balloon sent up the the NHLPA to see if it might entice the nhl to consider somthing other than a cap/cost certainty. If the nhl had shown any willingness at all to move away from their position, that 24% rollback would have been withdrawn faster than a Al MacKinnis slapshot.

If you have no idea what you are talking about then please don't bother to post. The 24% salary rollback was not some trial balloon. It was part of a very legitimate offer made by the NHLPA. Here is a link to the full proposal. Read it and educate yourself and then maybe you will have something worthwhile to add to this discussion. http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3398

Btw, how does one "withdraw" an Al MacInnis slapshot?

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
bling said:
If you have no idea what you are talking about then please don't bother to post. The 24% salary rollback was not some trial balloon. It was part of a very legitimate offer made by the NHLPA. Here is a link to the full proposal. Read it and educate yourself and then maybe you will have something worthwhile to add to this discussion. http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3398

Btw, how does one "withdraw" an Al MacInnis slapshot?

Why is it people find it necessary to bolster their point of view by insulting posters with a different viewpoint? Oh well..
Yes - the 24% was indeed part of an offer submitted by the NHLPA.
However, having been involved in labor negotiations for 34 years, I know a trial balloon when I see one. It's a common negotiating tactic. If you can offer somthing that gets the opponent to move off their steadfast position, you find a reason to withdraw it, and then, after having the other side blink, you are able to negotiate from a stronger position. There is absolutely nothing that prevents the NHLPA, or the NHL from retracting an offer they made.

Crazy Lunatic

bling said:
The 24% salary rollback was not some trial balloon. It was part of a very legitimate offer made by the NHLPA.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... legitimate?... HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad