Did Marchand get punched or wrecked clean? (MOD NOTICE post #175)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I hate Marchand as much as anybody but Bennett knew what he was doing there.

Without a doubt a 2 minute roughing penalty.

I'd also even go as far to say worthy of a game but this is the modern day DOPS, not shocking at all absolutely nothing will happen out of this. Was it the hardest shot in the world? No. Is it enough to potentially concuss? Definitely especially considering you're not suspecting it.

Am I glad it happened to Marchand? Absolutely. Objectively speaking though it's a dirty play.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Bennett is the king of 'incidental' dirty plays. His body slam that gave Knies a concussion in last year's playoffs was much more obvious and the league didn't care so I didn't expect them to care about this one.

Part of being able to have a 'tough team' is being on a team the league allows to get away with dirty plays (small market).

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I hate Marchand as much as anybody but Bennett knew what he was doing there.

Without a doubt a 2 minute roughing penalty.

I'd also even go as far to say worthy of a game but this is the modern day DOPS, not shocking at all absolutely nothing will happen out of this. Was it the hardest shot in the world? No. Is it enough to potentially concuss? Definitely especially considering you're not suspecting it.

Am I glad it happened to Marchand? Absolutely. Objectively speaking though it's a dirty play.
It was a very Dirty play ,made by a very dirty player. Totally intentional .

I think it is ridiculous posters here stating it does not matter because it was Marchand.

These same posters would be all in arms if it was someone else ???????????????????

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Bennett is the king of 'incidental' dirty plays. His body slam that gave Knies a concussion last playoffs was much more obvious and the league didn't care so I didn't expect them to care about this one.

Part of being able to have a 'tough team' is being on a team the league allows to get away with dirty plays (small market).
The league didn't care because your explanation is simply one of many Leafs narratives from that series that are just founded in the twilight zone.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think people think just because we have the benefit of slow motion that these guys have 5-10 seconds to see the hit coming and then they can prepare themselves or intentionally plan these plays out when they are actually split second plays.

I can see his arm extends, but the first point of contact is shoulder to shoulder, and that's what they were looking at on the bench, if he was concussed and dummied on the play how does he last another 2 periods flying around giving hits out and taking them before the medical staff or league mandated spotters do anything?

We don't even know if that is the injury he has. Lots of wild overreactions based upon the two players involved in the play and the reputations they have.
First point of contact or last, doesn’t matter all that much to me. Pretty clear that there’s a punching motion with the right, and Marchands head snaps left. Can’t see the contact with the face due to camera angles, but the moment the hand is out of view is the same instant Marchands head spins. It’s not a coincidence.

As for him playing on, this is the nhl. They are totally winging this shit every step of the way.

I also don’t care that there’s no consequences dished out for the punch. The whole “heavily scrutinized” thing just has everybody a little pissed off today.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
First point of contact or last, doesn’t matter all that much to me. Pretty clear that there’s a punching motion with the right, and Marchands head snaps left. Can’t see the contact with the face due to camera angles, but the moment the hand is out of view is the same instant Marchands head spins. It’s not a coincidence.

As for him playing on, this is the nhl. They are totally winging this shit every step of the way.

I also don’t care that there’s no consequences dished out for the punch. The whole “heavily scrutinized” thing just has everybody a little pissed off today.
His hand touching his face, doesn't mean he punches him, let alone sucker punching him, Marchand is checking him, they are coming in the opposite direction from one another, in a split second, and gets the worst if it, but we seem to be jumping to conclusions here.

Why does no one on the bench react at all, they should have very clearly seen the punch and intention, if thats what happened right?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
His hand touching his face, doesn't mean he punches him, let alone sucker punching him, Marchand is checking him, they are coming in the opposite direction from one another, in a split second, and gets the worst if it, but we seem to be jumping to conclusions here.
"It wasn't a punch, my hand just touched his face!":laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Why does no one on the bench react at all, they should have very clearly seen the punch and intention, if thats what happened right?
Touching his face? That earned Maroon a misconduct the other night.

I can’t tell the intent. Knowing everything we both know about these two players, I’m not sure how else I’m supposed to interpret the play when there’s clearly a punching motion, and the punch lands on Marchands face. I’m not saying he’s trying to maim the guy, but he’s not doing this to hug him either

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
"It wasn't a punch, my hand just touched his face!":laugh:
My god this place is a cess pool in the playoffs.

So much, "I'm not biased but here's my completely over the top biased take" type of comments. Of course it's bad during the regular season but you can really tell when the trolls decide to crawl out of their caves and from out underneath their bridges.

The way you quote it is exactly as silly as how I read it originally. I've never been checked and launched my opposing hand forward into somebody's face like that when bracing for a hit.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Touching his face? That earned Maroon a misconduct the other night.

I can’t tell the intent. Knowing everything we both know about these two players, I’m not sure how else I’m supposed to interpret the play when there’s clearly a punching motion, and the punch lands on Marchands face. I’m not saying he’s trying to maim the guy, but he’s not doing this to hug him either
I don't think anyone knows what Maroon and Cousins both said or did to both get ejected, but sure, the heat of the moment is the best time to try and assume intentions, lol

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The league didn't care because your explanation is simply one of many Leafs narratives from that series that are just founded in the twilight zone.

Bennett has a lot of fluke incidental hits.

Example: The thread you're posting in.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
No call on the ice, no reaction on the bench, no hearing from DOPS, but sure we should just go with your opinion, lol why not
It's a play that's very tough to see in real time. If you're a ref, unless you're right there it'll be very difficult to pick up. Same for the bench. It's only going to get caught in review more than likely. And we all know DOPS doesn't care. Half of the dirty plays that occur in the game that get former players, coaches, refs, etc. irate don't even get a review from Parros and crew.

There's dozens to hundreds of examples of this just from this season alone.

Let's stop pretending that they care. Nobody who actually watches the game and has for years thinks the job they do is even remotely acceptable.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
It's a play that's very tough to see in real time. If you're a ref, unless you're right there it'll be very difficult to pick up. Same for the bench. It's only going to get caught in review more than likely. And we all know DOPS doesn't care. Half of the dirty plays that occur in the game that get former players, coaches, refs, etc. irate don't even get a review from Parros and crew.

There's dozens to hundreds of examples of this just from this season alone.

Let's stop pretending that they care. Nobody who actually watches the game and has for years thinks the job they do is even remotely acceptable.
They have league mandated spotters and team medical staffs, how does he play another 40 minutes after such a brutal dummying, I guess they don't care either, or he forgot to mention to anyone he was cheap shotted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad