Did Kadri develop because of good Leafs player management/development or despite it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Wrong. Kadri changed his ways after getting suspended by Shanahan. The message was grow up or ur not playing for the Maple Leafs. He was immature, played for show at times and not a team game, showed up late to team meetings. It was this hard line approach under the Shanahan regime that forced him to change or move on. They put the ball in his court and he has responded very well. Mark Hunter stood up for Kadri in a big way.

You don't think if Babcock went to Shanahan and Lou and told them "I don't think he'll make it" that Lou wouldn't have shipped him out? Babcock is the one who gives him ice time, teaches him when he makes mistakes and encourages him when he does the right things. It's just not mainly what Shanahan did.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Back to back 30 goal scorer with a muffin for a shot. Ironically, even with a guy like Matthews on the team, upcoming rookies can learn a ton about goal scoring from Kadri. Positioning yourself for tips and rebounds, playing to the strengths of your various linemates and not blaming them for your own shortcomings (Matthews is a good teacher for this too) and generating offense from defense. Kudos to all parties working together and creating a bonafide center.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Back to back 30 goal scorer with a muffin for a shot. Ironically, even with a guy like Matthews on the team, upcoming rookies can learn a ton about goal scoring from Kadri. Positioning yourself for tips and rebounds, playing to the strengths of your various linemates and not blaming them for your own shortcomings (Matthews is a good teacher for this too) and generating offense from defense. Kudos to all parties working together and creating a bonafide center.
I don't even think he has a muffin to be honest. His release is not the greatest, it's gotten a lot better since he has been scoring a lot of ones in close but from far out he can't get the puck off his stick fast enough with enough power. Give him some time and space though and he can rip the puck pretty good time to time.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Honest as in stop what you are doing off ice or you won’t be in the NHL.

Sad that your desire to be right undermines the acknowledgement of an actual life change that resulted in what we see today. The good news is that many people in this thread have acknowledged what you have tried to minimize.

Honestly, I’m sad for you.

This is a good example of why most posters have no time for you - Kadri was an established #2C with a number of successful years under his belt and the idea that he was in any danger of his NHL career being over is laughable. Juxtaposing your fantasies with reality isn't "minimizing", it's just ... reality. This fantasy of yours that Kadri was on the verge of his career being over is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to justify all the garbage that you've posted about him over the years.

I agree with all this and I would add that what rookies can learn from Kadri that's even more important is how to compete. Kadri is just a fierce competitor, period and he's the kind you want to go to war with.

I don't even think he has a muffin to be honest. His release is not the greatest, it's gotten a lot better since he has been scoring a lot of ones in close but from far out he can't get the puck off his stick fast enough with enough power. Give him some time and space though and he can rip the puck pretty good time to time.

Agreed. I don't know who started this muffin nonsense (though I can guess). His shot isn't a strength by any means but is nowhere near as bad as his detractors would have us think.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
...for F sakes this discussion again? Only the very obtuse wouldn't get it, especially when Kadri has said OVER and OVER again that the suspension at the end of the season a few years ago was his wake up call.

Only the very obtuse would continue to argue with the very obtuse that don't get this simple concept.

Clearly one poster is overly sensitive about Naz and takes great offense at any honest criticism of Naz and clearly one poster takes great enjoyment at poking the other poster.

People stop being obtuse...

Lets just enjoy Naz for what he is now, debating what he was is equal to trying to suck air from a paper bag while under water.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
...for F sakes this discussion again? Only the very obtuse wouldn't get it, especially when Kadri has said OVER and OVER again that the suspension at the end of the season a few years ago was his wake up call.

Only the very obtuse would continue to argue with the very obtuse that don't get this simple concept.

Clearly one poster is overly sensitive about Naz and takes great offense at any honest criticism of Naz and clearly one poster takes great enjoyment at poking the other poster.

People stop being obtuse...

Lets just enjoy Naz for what he is now, debating what he was is equal to trying to suck air from a paper bag while under water.

Enjoying what he is now sounds like a good idea. If you're as tired as I think we all are of re-hashing the past, perhaps you can talk this poster into enjoying his fantasies in private and letting the rest of us enjoy the present?

Kadri is on pace for 55 points this season, if he don't include the 2 games he missed it would a 58 point pace, basically the same as last season. What a beauty, I'm so glad to have him on my team today!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Enjoying what he is now sounds like a good idea. If you're as tired as I think we all are of re-hashing the past, perhaps you can talk this poster into enjoying his fantasies in private and letting the rest of us enjoy the present?

Kadri is on pace for 55 points this season, if he don't include the 2 games he missed it would a 58 point pace, basically the same as last season. What a beauty, I'm so glad to have him on my team today!

Dude I have as much influence over other posters as I do over you. The choice needs to be made by the 2 parties to turn the other cheek, otherwise this cycle of whack a mole will continue.

I'm more impressed by his over all game, more than the scoring metrics. I don't think he's elite at anyone thing but I think he is solid at just about everything. I'd take a team of Naz's that are solid at just about everything over a team of JVR's that is elite at one thing and poor at many other things and I actually like JVR.

Reactions: Pookie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude I have as much influence over other posters as I do over you. The choice needs to be made by the 2 parties to turn the other cheek, otherwise this cycle of whack a mole will continue.

If you have no influence, may as well stop complaining.

I'm more impressed by his over all game, more than the scoring metrics. I don't think he's elite at anyone thing but I think he is solid at just about everything. I'd take a team of Naz's that are solid at just about everything over a team of JVR's that is elite at one thing and poor at many other things and I actually like JVR.

Kadri's way better than JVR, I think most people came around to that a long time ago.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I attribute Kadri's development to Leafs management group. Not the Burke Nonis group, but the Shanahan, Lou, Babcock group. 3 years of babcock has done wonders for him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is a good example of why most posters have no time for you - Kadri was an established #2C with a number of successful years under his belt and the idea that he was in any danger of his NHL career being over is laughable. Juxtaposing your fantasies with reality isn't "minimizing", it's just ... reality. This fantasy of yours that Kadri was on the verge of his career being over is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to justify all the garbage that you've posted about him over the years.

What’s interesting Gary is that there are pages of posts in this thread that highlight Kadri’s transformation. That talk of cleaning up his act, etc.

You focus on mine. All the time.

And mine includes both the Shanahan choice to “be an NHL player” and a direct quote from Kadri himself about the choice he was forced to make. ( Even includes the link and a date to the full article too)

A. Direct. Quote.

Yours is a classic example of cognitive dissonance. You’ve even convinced yourself that I’ve said things that I haven’t. Certain cards have even been played (by your crew).

It’s sad and a little disturbing.

I admire and respect the hell out of his life change. If a direct quote from the player indicating he faced a life choice that had positive impact on his career doesn’t give you pause to rethink, there’s no point.

There’s no convincing you. Like the Flat Earthers, you can go on pretending there is a different reality. It’s not worth my time anymore.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I think it's a testament to the man's character. He grew up without getting rid of some of the borderline traits that can spark the team and pester the opposition.

Having said that, Brendan Shanahan's no-nonsense attitude when he took over, paid dividends as well. I'd say Kadri's the best third line center in the game.

Reactions: Pookie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I admire and respect the hell out of his life change. If a direct quote from the player indicating he faced a life choice that had positive impact on his career doesn’t give you pause to rethink, there’s no point.

Nobody's denying that made a choice that had a positive impact etc. It's a giantic leap to go from that to suggesting as you have done that had he not done so, his NHL career would have been over. What part of this are you not understanding?

Reactions: Menzinger

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nobody's denying that made a choice that had a positive impact etc. It's a giantic leap to go from that to suggesting as you have done that had he not done so, his NHL career would have been over. What part of this are you not understanding?

Sigh

The “be an NHL player” is attributed to Shanahan.

It’s a direct quote from The Globe and Mail. I put it in quotes, put it in italics, indented it, and included the date and link to the full article. If you have a problem with this characterization, write Shanahan, Kadri and the editorial board at the Globe and Mail

Can’t be any more helpful.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sigh

The “be an NHL player” is attributed to Shanahan.

It’s a direct quote from The Globe and Mail. I put it in quotes, put it in italics, indented it, and included the date and link to the full article. If you have a problem with this characterization, write Shanahan, Kadri and the editorial board at the Globe and Mail

Can’t be any more helpful.

You're obviously referring to this:
It was literally a wake-up call for Kadri. Shanahan sat him down and made it clear he needed to cut out the off-ice excess if he wanted to be an NHL player.
Nazem Kadri’s long road to Leafs' overnight success

It's from the Globe and Mail but it's not a direct quote from Shanahan or anyone else and it's a pretty dumb quote as not only was Kadri already an "NHL player", he was a pretty darn good player, one of the best on our team.

Suggestion for you - don't take everything you read literally, especially when it's obviously incorrect. A little bit of critical thinking goes a long way in this regard.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you have no influence, may as well stop complaining.

Kadri's way better than JVR, I think most people came around to that a long time ago.

Not sure I agree with your thought process, in a public forum, where aggressive repetitive discussions about the same topic are rehashed about every 3 weeks, I think people should express their opinions about pointless arguments, not that common sense or logic will prevail but hey who knows maybe one of you will decide to turn the other cheek and move on from the debate that will never end. :)

Peace, I've said my 2 cents.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You're obviously referring to this:
It was literally a wake-up call for Kadri. Shanahan sat him down and made it clear he needed to cut out the off-ice excess if he wanted to be an NHL player.
Nazem Kadri’s long road to Leafs' overnight success

It's from the Globe and Mail but it's not a direct quote from Shanahan or anyone else and it's a pretty dumb quote as not only was Kadri already an "NHL player", he was a pretty darn good player, one of the best on our team.

Suggestion for you - don't take everything you read literally, especially when it's obviously incorrect. A little bit of critical thinking goes a long way in this regard.

Cognitive dissonance is strong with you.

Your letter to the editorial board at the Globe and Mail will surely bring about change ... sheesh. How could they print such nonsense when clearly you knew the “truth”?

What do you think a “crossroads” implies?

Playing in Toronto or playing in Montreal? Settling for $4M instead of 5?

Ask Lupul for his view on that topic.

I’m out.

Ps... the earth isn’t flat

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cognitive dissonance is strong with you.

Your letter to the editorial board at the Globe and Mail will surely bring about change ... sheesh. How could they print such nonsense when clearly you knew the “truth”?

What do you think a “crossroads” implies?

Playing in Toronto or playing in Montreal? Settling for $4M instead of 5?

Ask Lupul for his view on that topic.

I’m out.

Ps... the earth isn’t flat

Kadri was already an NHL player. If you can't understand even that much than I can't help you. Keep lecturing us about cognitive dissonance though. :blah::blah:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don’t know about you but I did the tile work in my house myself. Trust me, that ball rolls.

I did the tile work in my bathroom too, you know what I always say, measure once, cut twice, call a handy man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->