Rumor: Dhalliwal- 2 Teams AGRESSIVELY after Tanev ( Vanek, Edler rumor as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Nah no thanks to Vanek, only reason we want to trade JVR (well the fans, maybe not Lou) is to open up a spot for Leivo to get an extended look in and we have a backup in Johnsson to replace Leivo if Leivo doesn't make the spot his. But you guys should be able to get a 2nd for Vanek from another team IMO. And thoughts on taking Martin from us? He's NHL quality and a superb rebuild role model, just no space for him on the team.

Excited to see how your rebuild turns out though, could come down to lottery luck since Dahlin or a PP with Svech and Boeser is huge

Fair enough on Vanek. As for Martin that contract would be hard to swallow especially when Dorsett will be on the books but LTIR for another year. I’d be fine with taking him on post free agency if we miss on adding g say Maroon, or a different big sized forward.

What more can you tell me on Rasanen, specifically his skating

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Fair enough on Vanek. As for Martin that contract would be hard to swallow especially when Dorsett will be on the books but LTIR for another year. I’d be fine with taking him on post free agency if we miss on adding g say Maroon, or a different big sized forward.

What more can you tell me on Rasanen, specifically his skating
He still has to grow in to his body, a little clumsy but " surprising" top end speed. Eemeli Räsänen | FinnProspects.com

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Yes, a bunch of young players who are playing very well in the NHL. I have an extremely tough time imagining that Vanek would work on a line with Crosby.
Hes been really good with the sedins. He can work with sid. Vanek gets shat on a lot for his defensive problems, but he brings it offensively nearly every year. He has around as many even strength pts as guys like pavelski, oreilly, getzlaf, etc. Not bad.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Will Chris tanev even waive his modified no trade clause to come to Toronto if they were on his list?
Also does anyone know who's the 2nd team interested in him?

I thought Tampa was rumoured to be in on Tanev a few weeks ago? I would assume it’s them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hes been really good with the sedins. He can work with sid. Vanek gets shat on a lot for his defensive problems, but he brings it offensively nearly every year. He has around as many even strength pts as guys like pavelski, oreilly, getzlaf, etc. Not bad.

Crosby likes playing with fast and physical players, Vanek is neither fast or physical. That's the problem here. You can't just put any slow player with a good shot with Crosby and expect him to work just because it's Crosby.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Crosby likes playing with fast and physical players, Vanek is neither fast or physical. That's the problem here. You can't just put any slow player with a good shot with Crosby and expect him to work just because it's Crosby.
Well he doesn't have to go with crosby then...maybe malkin or on a line with jake g. point being, vanek brings offense and if you need it. he's an underrated option. will go cheaper than overrated rick nash.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well he doesn't have to go with crosby then...maybe malkin or on a line with jake g. point being, vanek brings offense and if you need it. he's an underrated option. will go cheaper than overrated rick nash.

I don't want Rick Nash either :laugh:

The way I look at it is that the Penguins 2nd line (Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist) isn't changing because it forces Malkin into a shoot first mentality and Hagelin has been playing extremely well recently. Kessel is on the 3rd line, and Vanek would be a terrible fit opposite of Kessel. That leaves Crosby's wing, and I already expressed my concerns with that.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I don't want Rick Nash either :laugh:

The way I look at it is that the Penguins 2nd line (Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist) isn't changing because it forces Malkin into a shoot first mentality and Hagelin has been playing extremely well recently. Kessel is on the 3rd line, and Vanek would be a terrible fit opposite of Kessel. That leaves Crosby's wing, and I already expressed my concerns with that.

fair enough. crosby doesn't really work with anyone. i mean kessel works fine with riley sheahan? wtf.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He doesn't, that's why the Penguins are trying to find a better fit for their 3C spot. Sheahan has played well there, but he just doesn't fit well with Kessel.
Bozak would fit like a glove.

And he can be yours for the low price of Sheahan and a first round pick. :D

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I could see Andreas Johnsson and Borgman in a package for Tanev. Both are very underrated prospects and can step right into the NHL. Would hurt to give up both but Tanev would be a hell of a nice fit in Toronto. The Leafs would have three of their top four locked up for a few years under 15M.

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

That would be a mobile and balanced defense. Tanev pushes the right side down to where they should be playing.

Last edited:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It’s hard to say anyone know what’s in his mind but he is from Toronto and from a pure young talent perspective we have to be an attractive place to play.

Yeah but some players shy away from all the hysteria at the centre of the universe.

Some might have a fear of ending up stranded on Robidas Island one day.

Others might not like some of the players, etc...

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I thought Tampa was rumoured to be in on Tanev a few weeks ago? I would assume it’s them.
Knowing Lou, he’s just trolling TB. Acting like a potential suitor to try and drive the price up for them.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I keep seeing Rasanen get thrown in on most proposals...

6'7 RH dman. What's the catch?

His skating is not that good, particularly moving laterally (it's probably more lateral quickness/agility) but that's to be expected at his size (not everyone is a Seth Jones out there- albeit he is bigger than him). Straight-line, he's a fluid skater. He's 6'7 (Chara might be the only active player taller than him) and has an incredibly long reach, it's just about developing that aspect of his game so that he is actively disrupting passing/shooting lanes with his reach/stick. He has as big of a shot from the point you can expect from any junior player ever though.... obviously- with his size and wingspan. His shot would be his biggest asset on a scouting report.

The hope is he can develop into a good d-man with a incredibly long, disruptive, stick.......skating for defenders his size are probably not absolute requisites as much as they are for other positions/commodities on an NHL team.

He's a project big-man, I wanted him, Mattheos, or Lipanov in the 2nd last year with our pick (considering some other guys I wanted went higher). He has a high ceiling but the likelihood of 2nd rounders in general hitting is not extremely high.

The Leafs have been great at developing prospects lately since the regime change.....invested a ton of money into sports science, player development, conditioning/off-season programs....and Keefe with the Marlies has been terrific. He understands his weaknesses (working on his skating, foot speed).....it's just determining whether he develops.

His value hasn't decreased or increased since the draft, really. I thought he was going to go higher, but it's still around a mid 2nd or so. He's probably the highest ranked project Leafs big man by my books..so ahead of Mattinen, Middleton, and Greenway. Gordeev is a tougher call....Gordeev is more soft but his skating is impressive for a big man. If I'm being honest, I would be surprised to see even 1 of them make the NHL, but Rasanen and Gordeev probably have the best shot....Greenway is a tough call since he didn't get to play much this year but that probably says more about his quality than anything.

Ultimately, he doesn't make or break a Tanev deal, his value is a 2nd- not an early one, probably a mid one..as it was last year. This is a good, deep draft (better than last year's). There are players I'd take over him around the same slot.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Knowing Lou, he’s just trolling TB. Acting like a potential suitor to try and drive the price up for them.

Then Vancouver thanks him !

But if Tbay gets him then its over.... and it will be over for a while. Thats a dynasty team

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I have no idea which poster is more honest than any other, but I too would like a link to the radio someone provided a link earlier page 3 or 4 that suggested that it would be on the show on point Millard talks Canucks and what to expect at the trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca I didn't hear anything particularly on an offer or aggressive pursuit by anyone on Tanev. If someone else can find an exact link, please post. Nor, did I hear anything particular about this aggressive pursuit from Mr. Dhaliwal on his twitter.

MODS please why is this thread still open or at least edit the title HEAVILY. Dhaliwal never even said anything like this in the linked interview

FALSE THREAD

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
As a Leafs fan, adding a guy like Tanev seems like a perfect fit. Top 4 RHD that has shown some chemistry with Reilly? That's a no brainer but it has to be concerning that he's currently injured and never played more than 70 games in a season. That has to be factored into the deal. My offer would be...

1st (2018)
Conditional 2nd 2019 (becomes a 1st in 2020 if Tanev plays more than 70 games)
Connor Carrick
Matt Martin (cap dump)

No Liljegren, None of our current young core otherwise its too much of a gamble with his history of injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->