DFT's 2004 1-14 mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, here she goes:

#1 Washington Capitals-Alexander Ovechkin: Best player in the draft is their obvious choice and future franchise player.

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins-Evgeni Malkin: After Ovechkin, Malkin is the next best in this draft, simple as that

#3 Chicago Blackhawks-Rostislav Olesz: Even though Barker would be a good pick for them, they have Babchuk and Seabrook, and Olesz will be a dangerous weapon alongside Ruutu

#4 Columbus Blue Jackets-Cam Barker: A defenseman is their number one need, and with Barker still available, they'll pounce on him like a fat kid on a cupcake

#5 Phoenix Coyotes-Lauri Tukonen: Phoenix is set on the blueline, and the best player available is likely the Big Finn. He could go well with Sjostrom if they're ever paired up.

#6 New York Rangers-Robbie Schremp: With the Pock signing, temptation to pick O'Neill or Thelen is less. Schremp could use his ability to help out big man Hugh Jessiman in the future.

#7 Florida Panthers-Wes O'Neill: Right around 7-10 is where O'Neill will go, and I think Dudley will pick him now rather than trade down to get him. While Thelen is probably the better d-man, O'Neill is a better pairing with J-Bo, as he's more defensive. If Florida does trade down, which is still a great possibility, it'll be to Anaheim. Atlanta is another possibility, but they'd have to give lower picks to Anaheim to make sure they don't pick O'Neill, like they did in 02 with Atlanta, and like Anaheim did with Nashville in the same year.

#8 Carolina Hurricanes-Wojtek Wolski: Phyisical left winger is perfect fit with Eric Staal, and possibly Pavel Brendl. Rutherford wouldn't likely consider Thelen much, as Wolski's too good to pass up.

#9 Anaheim Mighty Ducks-A.J. Thelen: Offensive d-man is what they need for their prospect pool. Could make for a good future 2nd pairing, with Mark Popovic, who is becoming better defensively, and a little worse offensively.

#10 Atlanta Thrashers-Mike Green: Ladd would also be a good pick, but they're likely looking for a good d-man to pair up with Coburn. If Green is taken, that'll mean they could have a whole line(every position) with the only 6 first rounders they've taken(Slater doesn't count, lol)(Kovalchuk-Stefan-Heatley, Coburn-Green, Lehtonen).

#11 Los Angelas Kings-Marek Schwartz: Chokemanek wasn't the answer, and Huet likely isn't, either. Goalie depth also is minimal, so top goalie Schwartz is the smart pick.

#12 Minnesota Wild-Andrew Ladd: He's good offensively and has good size. If Brent Burns goes back to forward, he might find chemistry with him, as he worked well with Ryan Getzlaf, and they are similar players.

#13 Buffalo Sabres-Kyle Chipchura: Like someone else said, they have a good team, and no real needs, so they'll take the best player available, who would be Chipchura. He'd also provide a nice offensive punch with Vanek.

#14 Edmonton Oilers-Alvaro Montoya: They have JDD, but he is questionable as a good future tender, and Montoya could be the better solution. A Montoya-Deslauriers tandem is also a very good future one.

Flame away

Last edited:

Staalwart

Feb 24, 2004
There is just something about Shremp that i like, i really am hoping that if they don't move up, that the Rangers are able to draft Shremp.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't think that Ladd will go so low, but it's interesting to see O'Neill to Florida. Also Mike Green to Atlanta is intriguing.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
Well, here she goes:

#1 Washington Capitals-Alexander Ovechkin: Best player in the draft is their obvious choice and future franchise player.

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins-Evgeni Malkin: After Ovechkin, Malkin is the next best in this draft, simple as that

#3 Chicago Blackhawks-Rostislav Olesz: Even though Barker would be a good pick for them, they have Babchuk and Seabrook, and Olesz will be a dangerous weapon alongside Ruutu

#4 Columbus Blue Jackets-Cam Barker: A defenseman is their number one need, and with Barker still available, they'll pounce on him like a fat kid on a cupcake

#5 Phoenix Coyotes-Lauri Tukonen: Phoenix is set on the blueline, and the best player available is likely the Big Finn. He could go well with Sjostrom if they're ever paired up.

#6 New York Rangers-Robbie Schremp: With the Pock signing, temptation to pick O'Neill or Thelen is less. Schremp could use his ability to help out big man Hugh Jessiman in the future.

#7 Florida Panthers-Wes O'Neill: Right around 7-10 is where O'Neill will go, and I think Dudley will pick him now rather than trade down to get him. While Thelen is probably the better d-man, O'Neill is a better pairing with J-Bo, as he's more defensive. If Florida does trade down, which is still a great possibility, it'll be to Anaheim. Atlanta is another possibility, but they'd have to give lower picks to Anaheim to make sure they don't pick O'Neill, like they did in 02 with Atlanta, and like Anaheim did with Nashville in the same year.

#8 Carolina Hurricanes-Wojtek Wolski: Phyisical left winger is perfect fit with Eric Staal, and possibly Pavel Brendl. Rutherford wouldn't likely consider Thelen much, as Wolski's too good to pass up.

#9 Anaheim Mighty Ducks-A.J. Thelen: Offensive d-man is what they need for their prospect pool. Could make for a good future 2nd pairing, with Mark Popovic, who is becoming better defensively, and a little worse offensively.

#10 Atlanta Thrashers-Mike Green: Ladd would also be a good pick, but they're likely looking for a good d-man to pair up with Coburn. If Green is taken, that'll mean they could have a whole line(every position) with the only 6 first rounders they've taken(Slater doesn't count, lol)(Kovalchuk-Stefan-Heatley, Coburn-Green, Lehtonen).

#11 Los Angelas Kings-Marek Schwartz: Chokemanek wasn't the answer, and Huet likely isn't, either. Goalie depth also is minimal, so top goalie Schwartz is the smart pick.

#12 Minnesota Wild-Andrew Ladd: He's good offensively and has good size. If Brent Burns goes back to forward, he might find chemistry with him, as he worked well with Ryan Getzlaf, and they are similar players.

#13 Buffalo Sabres-Kyle Chipchura: Like someone else said, they have a good team, and no real needs, so they'll take the best player available, who would be Chipchura. He'd also provide a nice offensive punch with Vanek.

#14 Edmonton Oilers-Alvaro Montoya: They have JDD, but he is questionable as a good future tender, and Montoya could be the better solution. A Montoya-Deslauriers tandem is also a very good future one.

Flame away

I don't think Wes O'Neill is worthy of being picked in the Top Ten. If he is available when the Ducks turn rolls around, I hope that Bryan Murray passes.

Thelen is a fast riser. It's hard to tell where he'll go. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Ducks take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 8 picks. If I were calling the shots and Thelen and Ladd were both still available at #9, I'd lean towards Ladd. Apparently, he's another fast riser, so he may not be available at #9. (I believe it's TSN that has him as the 5th pick overall).

Ladd, Thelen, Stafford---or if one of the top 5 or 6 "fell" to us (a la Ryan Getzlaf)---would make me happy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Good mock. I like Schwartz being the first goalie and I think NYR could be very infatuated with Schremp. I personally would steer clear of Schremp if I was them, because likely some guys like Wolski, Ladd, and the three defensemen would still be there. He's a talented player but I'd take Wolski over him.

I went with Ladd to NYR in my mock because I've seen Ranger fans say they are interested in him.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
Good mock. I like Schwartz being the first goalie and I think NYR could be very infatuated with Schremp. I personally would steer clear of Schremp if I was them, because likely some guys like Wolski, Ladd, and the three defensemen would still be there. He's a talented player but I'd take Wolski over him.

I went with Ladd to NYR in my mock because I've seen Ranger fans say they are interested in him.

I think you're underestimating Schremp's skill. If he had an all round game he'd go over Ovechkin, but he's simply not, but skill alone his the best in the draft, hands down. Kids like Wolski, Thelen, O'neil, Ladd or whatever just don't compare. The kids got skills like anyone else, not to take away from anyone, but he's my #4 choice, but could easily be the top scorer from the draft when we look back in 10 years.

As for the Ladd thing, i've yet to read where the rangers are interested in him. So far i've heard the rangers came away happy, and that Sather saw him personally. But i've never heard it from an actual scout or legit source other than word of mouth which isn't exactly so reliable. Put it this way, i think if a player like Olesz or Schremp is there they won't take Ladd, but thats just my opinion

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
twistedwrister said:
There is just something about Shremp that i like, i really am hoping that if they don't move up, that the Rangers are able to draft Shremp.

god damn it! wish ranger fans would stop talkin about him! i woudl hate to have to kill myself (or Mike Jefferson (Danton) someone else)! haha

Last edited:

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
He's a talented player but I'd take Wolski over him.

why? people are asking the same questions about wolski and shremp (heart, toughness) but shremp's skill level is musch higher than wolski's. If your gonna take a chance on a guy who might have some toughness or motivation questions, you might as well do it on a guy with the highest possible skill set.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:

Though Edmonton's prospects at goal are few, actually its just JDD :shakehead but Edmonton would not pass up on an opportunity to pick up Picard if the draft turned out this way. They would pick a goalie using one of their next two (atleast I would hope). Nice shot at the first 14 though.

GXL

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:

I think you mixed Berti with Wolski! Berti is physical at 6'3, wolski is a 6'3 finesse winger.

TVanek26*

I see Buffalo taking Wes O'Neill if he is there,or if he isn't I guess Chipchura fits in the Buffalo system...he plays pretty good defense,I see him as a Michalek clone with less offense.

st_roland

Enjoyable read. If I did a mock, it would resemble yours very closely. I'd be interested to see how you think the rest of the 1st is gonna fall into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad