GDT: Devils vs. Sabres - 3:00PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, Zacha's tentativeness is showing again but it's so early, I'm not overly concerned. It's just frustrating because you know he can play more assertive and be near-dominant. I only watched the tail-end of the 2nd and the 3rd but there was one play in particular in the defensive zone; the puck was loose along the boards and Zacha could have easily won the race to it and gone flying up the wall but he played it safe and just got to the puck in time to block any pass or shot. If this continues for the season I'll be worried. But I think being propelled into the #1 center role and not having a point yet may be weighing on him a bit.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, Zacha's tentativeness is showing again but it's so early, I'm not overly concerned. It's just frustrating because you know he can play more assertive and be near-dominant. I only watched the tail-end of the 2nd and the 3rd but there was one play in particular in the defensive zone; the puck was loose along the boards and Zacha could have easily won the race to it and gone flying up the wall but he played it safe and just got to the puck in time to block any pass or shot. If this continues for the season I'll be worried. But I think being propelled into the #1 center role and not having a point yet may be weighing on him a bit.

I think the coaching staff wants him to make those safe plays, especially with a lead. Especially with Zajac out and no one else able to take those heavy defensive minutes.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hall and Bratt are just beautiful to watch together. We just didn't have anyone with the creativity to keep up with Hall last year. Now it looks as though we have at least 2 with Bratt and Nico. The depth we have at the forward position when everyone is healthy is pretty nuts honestly.

Hall - Zacha - Bratt
MoJo - Nico - Palmieri
Henrique - Zajac - Stafford
Coleman - Boyle - Noesen/Hayes/Blandisi/JQ

That's an awesome forward core.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Lets just hope he keeps his cool and doesn't become a hotdog.

The joke should write itself for me here but I got nothing. Someone pick me up. Preferably a clever pun that nuances the difference between a hot dog and a bratwurst. Add a touch of the buoyant optimism he is bringing to the team outlook and make it at least a bit funny. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: G MAN

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hall and Bratt are just beautiful to watch together. We just didn't have anyone with the creativity to keep up with Hall last year. Now it looks as though we have at least 2 with Bratt and Nico. The depth we have at the forward position when everyone is healthy is pretty nuts honestly.

Hall - Zacha - Bratt
MoJo - Nico - Palmieri

Amazing to me that a handful of us were calling on Speers to be the guy to internally fill a middle-6 RW slot.

Bratt came out of nowhere. And now his name is being used in the same sentence as Taylor Hall. Absolutely amazing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Hall - Zacha - Bratt
MoJo - Nico - Palmieri

I’m putting Bratt on line 2 with Nico to unlock his offensive game and to allow Palms to shield Bratt from some of the tougher five on five minutes. If the early returns hold up the Devils will have a deep offense. Just wait until they are playing a West Coast team that expects a lethargic effort and after getting Bratted and Nicoed the Devils roll out Rico and Zajac as a third line.

Reactions: OmNomNom

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’m putting Bratt on line 2 with Nico to unlock his offensive game and to allow Palms to shield Bratt from some of the tougher five on five minutes. If the early returns hold up the Devils will have a deep offense. Just wait until they are playing a West Coast team that expects a lethargic effort and after getting Bratted and Nicoed the Devils roll out Nico and Zajac as a third line.

I think it's the same line of thinking that should be used for Nico. I'd prefer Palmieri and Zacha (Zajac, maybe, when he comes back) to provide some insulation. I do think we'll see Nico and Bratt get their turns on the top line, but that shouldn't be the narrative just yet. Let's see them sustain this level of play in the roles they earned, and then go from there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is an extremely premature take, but if the team can just hang around in the conversation until Zajac comes back, he might be that pseudo deadline addition that could potentially push the team over the bubble.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We look like a Carlson away from being a playoff team. We have the young talented pieces to entice him, a spot open to give him big time minutes, we have the Jersey connection, and we have money to spend. If he hits FA we have to be one of the favorites to land him.

And we can always try to package Henrique+ or McLeod+ for a dman if need be. Won't get a Carlson level guy, but could get an upgrade for sure.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think the coaching staff wants him to make those safe plays, especially with a lead. Especially with Zajac out and no one else able to take those heavy defensive minutes.

And I definitely don't mind that. From what I've seen he's been great defensively. I'm being patient with Zacha because I know he's capable of so much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We look like a Carlson away from being a playoff team. We have the young talented pieces to entice him, a spot open to give him big time minutes, we have the Jersey connection, and we have money to spend. If he hits FA we have to be one of the favorites to land him.

And we can always try to package Henrique+ or McLeod+ for a dman if need be. Won't get a Carlson level guy, but could get an upgrade for sure.

Also have our first in a deep draft to get a true #1.

Worst case if we overachieve too much we can also shop the pick, or even package someone and another pick to move up.

We have flexibility to get that final big piece to push us into perennial playoff team.

First things first, this season, because I am starting to believe we might be better then we thought.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is an extremely premature take, but if the team can just hang around in the conversation until Zajac comes back, he might be that pseudo deadline addition that could potentially push the team over the bubble.

I agree with the principle, but we need an upgrade at D. Zajac will boost our overall play, but we can't seriously talk playoffs until (we clinch jk) we somehow obtain a bonafide top-4 defenseman.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree with the principle, but we need an upgrade at D. Zajac will boost our overall play, but we can't seriously talk playoffs until (we clinch jk) we somehow obtain a bonafide top-4 defenseman.

I disagree. I don't think this current squad is that far away from stealing the 2nd WC spot. The middle of the pack East teams simply aren't THAT much better.

We would get chased early in the first round no doubt, and we can't expect regularity in playoff appearances or even dream of winning a series until we get another top D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->