GDT: Devils vs. Maple Leafs - 7:00PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
I didn't get to see the game. I saw some highlights and saw Schneider made some really good saves. Is 1 point good enough from this game? Or Devils should have got 2?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
it would just be a PP-fest for fast teams like the devils if they called it by the rulebook. i'm sure that has a part to do with it

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
They shouldnt have lost. Hall was on the ice way too much in OT. And Palms bobbled the puck a lot tonight and looked meh outside of that toe drag he had in OT where he nearly ended it.

The PP needs to be revamped and no Boyle on it either.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I didn't get to see the game. I saw some highlights and saw Schneider made some really good saves. Is 1 point good enough from this game? Or Devils should have got 2?

They probably should have gotten two judging by the shot totals but I didn't get to see the game either.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Anderson stood on his head. I would say we should have had two because we had a power play in OT, which should be an auto game over in my book.

We didn’t cash in, so we got what we deserved

I don’t have numbers but I’m guessing 4 on 3 PPs score less often than 5 on 4. There are less passing options the goalie has to worry about. Teams also work on them less since they happen much less often.

If a team doesn’t have a deadly outside shooter, like the Devils, a 4 on 3 can be a tough nut to crack.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We should have gotten 2 points, but we also got 2 points in a lot of games where we probably shouldn't have gotten 2 points and games where we had to come back from 2-3 goals down.

We were probably due a loss in one of these types of games at some point soon. Andersen was due to raise that save percentage up by quite a bit, we were due to have our shooting percentage come down by a bit.

I'll take the point. It would have been really awful if that OT goal had come with 2.2 seconds left in regulation, rather than OT. I'll take it coming with 2.2 seconds left in OT instead.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It does kind of figure that we have our best game this year in terms of out shooting the opponent, yet get shutout for only the 2nd time this year. But we have still yet to lose in regulation when winning the shot battle (2-0-2).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It does kind of figure that we have our best game this year in terms of out shooting the opponent, yet get shutout for only the 2nd time this year. But we have still yet to lose in regulation when winning the shot battle (2-0-2).

We've only won the shot battle four times? Good grief :P

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Andersen and Schneider were excellent. Pretty even game. Thought it was over the moment they called that penalty in OT. Hilarious that Nylander was so tired he couldnt even celebrate. I think NJ will be a pain for whomever they play this year in the playoffs. Tons of speed, Schneider is back to his usual self and they have players most arent familiar with that'll burn you(much like the Leafs last year). I've been saying it for a while but Miles Wood is gonna be a hell of a player. Once his hands catch up to his feet its game over. I wish Lou could steal him away somehow while the stock is low.

From the Leaf's page..

Reactions: OmNomNom

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Anyone blaming Cory for this game is out for lunch. Dude carried us to OT with 2 huge saves.

I don't know what Hynes is thinking but that powerplay personal he employed is a total travesty. I understand Butcher is a very good PP QB, but I also think Severson shouldn't be an after thought on the powerplay either.

Henrique, I don't know what to say about this guy. I'm not sure why he got so much ice time.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone blaming Cory for this game is out for lunch. Dude carried us to OT with 2 huge saves.

I don't know what Hynes is thinking but that powerplay personal he employed is a total travesty. I understand Butcher is a very good PP QB, but I also think Severson shouldn't be an after thought on the powerplay either.

Henrique, I don't know what to say about this guy. I'm not sure why he got so much ice time.

Severson isn't a threat in that situation. At least Butcher has a nice shot and is equally capable of setting up his linemates. The biggest problem is they didn't set up screens on Andersen.

Camille the Eel

Straight from the NHL Rulebook

What you're referencing isn't interference by the book. Obviously sometimes teams stretch that a bit, you'll often see defenseman make egregiously wide transitions to get in the way of opponents, but it's not illegal.

You are right, thank you for focusing on the rule. Where I see them stretching the rule, and where the refs are letting it go, is when the defender is skating backwards on a path that converges with offensive player (the guy chipping the puck) but doesn't yet have body position (strictly speaking) but is merely on a path to get it.

Better to focus on an actual play in bringing this up, all the same, otherwise it's off topic. Have to keep an eye out for the next game.

Camille the Eel

We should have gotten 2 points, but we also got 2 points in a lot of games where we probably shouldn't have gotten 2 points and games where we had to come back from 2-3 goals down.

We were probably due a loss in one of these types of games at some point soon. Andersen was due to raise that save percentage up by quite a bit, we were due to have our shooting percentage come down by a bit.

I'll take the point. It would have been really awful if that OT goal had come with 2.2 seconds left in regulation, rather than OT. I'll take it coming with 2.2 seconds left in OT instead.
Before overtime, I didn't think a lot of our many chances were high quality. Anderson did not have to be as good as Cory to get the game to OT.

One of the things that worries me is how we played a good puck possession game and looked more mature (to be sure with Boyle,, Zajac, Stafford, Henrique . . . a line up now more larded with older, slower veterans) but looked also less dangerous offensively. Maybe we're actually more dangerous in a helter skelter game. Or should go even more with the kids.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You are right, thank you for focusing on the rule. Where I see them stretching the rule, and where the refs are letting it go, is when the defender is skating backwards on a path that converges with offensive player (the guy chipping the puck) but doesn't yet have body position (strictly speaking) but is merely on a path to get it.

Better to focus on an actual play in bringing this up, all the same, otherwise it's off topic. Have to keep an eye out for the next game.

I know what you're saying as I said last night it's the "I'm conveniently skating in front of this player while getting into body position."

As long as there's no clear outward interference, it's usually let go. They've got just as much of a right to the ice as long as they don't make a clear effort to impede the forechecker. The way the rule is written they usually apply the 'don't have to move out of the way of an opponent.'

It's like the same thing about complaining there's a holding on every play in the NFL. Sure there is, but usually they don't call it unless it's egregious or makes a huge difference in the play. Same goes for interference.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Anderson stole that extra point.

Hall had a good game but if he showed any resistance at all to Nylander in OT he would not have scored.

I thought the save on Butcher in OT was huge. It was ticketed top shelf corner.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nights like last night are going to happen. They suck, but they played well enough that it would be a win more often than not.

5 points out of a possible 6 in the last 3. Tomorrow won't be a picnic either, Winnipeg is looking good. Hopefully they pot one early and roll with confidence from there.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad