GDT: Devils vs. Maple Leafs - 7:00PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I usually would ding the goalie on that OT winner, even though I wouldn't have tagged him with the loss, when you lose 1-0, but I think Palmieri seemed to move right as the shot was unloaded. It was like a perfect moving screen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I'm not seeing the 'one of the worst players' thing with Rico. He had some moments, but he also hustled back and saved a goal. I don't think it is worth making him the whipping boy tonight.
I don't care anymore.

He's playing too much, he's not scoring at all, I don't want him back after contract at any price. He's not a good long term investment. Just like Mark Fayne, David Clarkson, Gomez (on the contract he got), Holik, Gionta in 2009. Time to move on, and it's probably worth thinking about after this year. See if we could fool a sucker into giving up a big package. If he only scores 15 goals and 40 points, he probably won't be worth much. He really should be the whipping boy over Zacha. He's really been overrated by a lot of people. He's a fringe 2nd liner, and he could be painful to watch and even worse than that into his 30's.

Can't retain every player, just for the sake of retaining them. Doug Wilson better also consider this with 35 year old Pavelski in 2 years.

Use the cap space on other players, especially inevitable raises for Nico and hopefully Bratt, if he keeps it up.

You know what? You're right, maybe it's not worth making him the whipping boy for tonight. How about the last 10 games? Where he's managed one even strength point and has averaged about 17-18 minutes of ice time? Maybe even more than that?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Funniest thing is the reason the game was boring was how much interfering the Leafs were getting away with.

Not to whine about the refs, but this isnt a terrible point, only in the context that if this game was called the way games have been called all this season, the Devils should have had a ton of powerplays.

The Leafs were dealing with the Devils team speed by clutching & grabbing.

Kudos to Toronto for recognition that the refs swallowed their whistles, but it was bizarre to see all the interference and hooking not getting called tonight.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not to whine about the refs, but this isnt a terrible point, only in the context that if this game was called the way games have been called all this season, the Devils should have had a ton of powerplays.

The Leafs were dealing with the Devils team speed by clutching & grabbing.

Kudos to Toronto for recognition that the refs swallowed their whistles, but it was bizarre to see all the interference and hooking not getting called tonight.

In general, the refs let interference go as long as you don't extend your body to impede a player, use your stick to impede a player, or dramatically change your path to interfere with a player. Leafs were just being smart with their body position so the forecheckers were slowed down every time. Leafs were doing the "I'm going to conveniently skate in front of this guy while getting into position" interference.

If you actually read through the way the interference rules are written, you can see why teams get away with what the Leafs did tonight.

Camille the Eel

Great game from Corey in the quality of those several diving saves, laying out to snag pucks on the goal line. That's as athletic and quick as I've ever seen him. We had the majority of the puck possession and out shot them, but they had the three or four highest quality scoring chances of all; Cory just robbed them, jaw dropping, on three or four occasions. No way he's supposed to make those saves.

Also a superb superb game by Severson. Give credit where it's due.

In terms of puck possession and management maybe our best game of the season.

Camille the Eel

In general, the refs let interference go as long as you don't extend your body to impede a player, use your stick to impede a player, or dramatically change your path to interfere with a player. Leafs were just being smart with their body position so the forecheckers were slowed down every time. Leafs were doing the "I'm going to conveniently skate in front of this guy while getting into position" interference.

If you actually read through the way the interference rules are written, you can see why teams get away with what the Leafs did tonight.
The interference that kill me are the ones where we chip the puck past the defense, and they just impede the guy chasing it by pushing him way out of his path, and doing it late, once the puck is well past the defender. They are just letting that go this year, even more than last year, when it was already egregious.

Remember about three or four years ago when they were calling that? They've just put the whistles away.

Referees are making home ice really HOME ice this year. Sucks really.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Bratt - Zajac - Stafford
Zacha - Henrique - Wood
Coleman - Boyle - Gibbons

pls Hynes. If he doesn’t perform, send him down and slot Johansson there when he’s ready. No need to have Boyle on the third line.
Quoting in hopes that Hynes sees.

Or at least Dano haha, wonder what he thinks?:sarcasm::laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Bratt - Zajac - Stafford
Zacha - Henrique - Wood
Coleman - Boyle - Gibbons

pls Hynes. If he doesn’t perform, send him down and slot Johansson there when he’s ready. No need to have Boyle on the third line.

Like these. Boyle and Coleman are playing well but they don’t need to be on separate lines in our bottom 6.

This gives us more firepower through out.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The interference that kill me are the ones where we chip the puck past the defense, and they just impede the guy chasing it by pushing him way out of his path, and doing it late, once the puck is well past the defender. They are just letting that go this year, even more than last year, when it was already egregious.

Remember about three or four years ago when they were calling that? They've just put the whistles away.

Straight from the NHL Rulebook

Body Position:
- Body position shall be determined as the player skating in front of or beside his opponent, traveling in the same direction. A player who is behind an opponent, who does not have the puck, may not use his stick, body or free hand in order to restrain his opponent, but must skate in order to gain or reestablish his proper position in order to make a check.

-A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed. A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction. Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference. A player is always entitled to use his body position to lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck, provided his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and therefore considerably lengthening the distance his opponent must travel to get where he is going); his free hand is not used and he does not take advantage of his body position to deliver an otherwise illegal check.

What you're referencing isn't interference by the book. Obviously sometimes teams stretch that a bit, you'll often see defenseman make egregiously wide transitions to get in the way of opponents, but it's not illegal.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Too bad not at our home haha

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I usually would ding the goalie on that OT winner, even though I wouldn't have tagged him with the loss, when you lose 1-0, but I think Palmieri seemed to move right as the shot was unloaded. It was like a perfect moving screen.

The shot was deflected. It is easy to see it changed direction.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I would also try something like
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Henrique-Stafford
Gibbons-Boyle-Coleman

Spread scoring a bit more and I like Bratt/Hall's creativity together

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would also try something like
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Henrique-Stafford
Gibbons-Boyle-Coleman

Spread scoring a bit more and I like Bratt/Hall's creativity together

Down with that too. No idea what to do when Mojo gets back. No one I really want to sit in that lineup

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm starting to think a lot of the Devils lack of penalty calls has a lot to do with Hall's reputation.

He's almost always crashing into referees and linesmen and giving them an earful when they get in the way or don't call penalties on him. You saw him barrel straight through a linesman tonight, was clearly frustrated, and heard the linesman say something along the lines of "what am I supposed to do" on TV.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm starting to think a lot of the Devils lack of penalty calls has a lot to do with Hall's reputation.

He's almost always crashing into referees and linesmen and giving them an earful when they get in the way or don't call penalties on him. You saw him barrel straight through a linesman tonight, was clearly frustrated, and heard the linesman say something along the lines of "what am I supposed to do" on TV.

So they call nothing against the entire team? I’m not sure I buy that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So they call nothing against the entire team? I’m not sure I buy that.

Not that they call nothing, but that they call a lot less. Opponents seem to get away with a lot on Hall in particular.

Hynes has given it to the refs a lot the past couple years and has gotten a ridiculous amount of bench minors (although some were horrible calls that warranted bitching). Plus the last couple years have had some egregious dives (Farnham, Tootoo, and Blandisi) and while none of them are currently on the team, refs seem to hold a lot of grudges and biases -- you saw Salvador elude to that on TV the other night.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The shot was deflected. It is easy to see it changed direction.
It was hard to see, but I’ll take your word for it. It looks like it at least probably did.

Regardless, Palmieri seems to be moving as the shot was unloaded, so I’d buy a screen on that one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was hard to see, but I’ll take your word for it. It looks like it at least probably did.

Regardless, Palmieri seems to be moving as the shot was unloaded, so I’d buy a screen on that one.

Easiest tell is when the goalie is positioning when way and the goal goes in another.

Cory was setting up to his right and the puck went in to his left.

It wasn’t a huge deflection, but enough on a fast shot that there was no way he had time to get back over and do a hero save.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But refs turn blind eyes to every one on our team. It seems a stretch to say that Hall jawing is causing refs to not call anything on anyone.

Especially when Hynes hardly ever says crap to the refs and it's not just Hall that gets the short end of the stick on the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad