GDT: Devils vs. Capitals - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Basically were outplayed from the start by a hungrier and better team.

Had a chance to scrap out a point or an undeserved win but they extinguished their own flame with the bad penalties.

Didn't look like the team we've been watching. Credit goes to Wash who we just can't beat in Newark in some time.

Learn from this debacle and get right back on the horse for a huge game tomorrow.

BTW, I loathe Wilson, what a goon, punching a defeated guy who's on the ice.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Just watching the post game now, thought it was interesting what Bryce had to say about Wilson laughing after the Coleman fight... It was along the lines of that nobody on his team picked up his gear for him, the refs had to do it. He believes in the code of conduct and doesn't think his team actually respected him for doing that.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Yeah, it was really the penalties (and too many of them were careless or sloppy ones) that killed the Devils. Zone entries were a struggle but weren't a death knell. I do like that the team is playing with more passion than last year, but I would be happy to see them show a bit more discipline when it comes to taking penalties.

Definitely true. Twice tonight when they pulled to within 1 at 2-1 and 3-2 you could see the team pick it up. You're right though, the penalties absolutely killed them tonight.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Just watching the post game now, thought it was interesting what Bryce had to say about Wilson laughing after the Coleman fight... It was along the lines of that nobody on his team picked up his gear for him, the refs had to do it. He believes in the code of conduct and doesn't think his team actually respected him for doing that.

he really is a POS. they would be better off without him.

Reactions: Bleedred

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Put Mueller in for Moore tomorrow.

Greene Severson
Mueller Santini
Butcher Prout

Problem with this is then Prout plays. He was pretty mediocre tonight too, hopefully just rust from it being Game #1 for him.

Though I 100% agree, when you have a game like Moore had tonight, as a coach you have to send a message. Veteran or not, he should sit tomorrow. This may have been Moore's worst game in his Devil's career (I cant remember a worse example anyway).

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Problem with this is then Prout plays. He was pretty mediocre tonight too, hopefully just rust from it being Game #1 for him.

Though I 100% agree, when you have a game like Moore had tonight, as a coach you have to send a message. This may have been Moore's worst game in his Devil's career (I cant remember a worse example anyway).
I have defended Moore on here many times because the man can put up points from the back end and his skating his phenomemal. But my God, he was pure trash tonight. It hurt to watch.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Definitely true. Twice tonight when they pulled to within 1 at 2-1 and 3-2 you could see the team pick it up. You're right though, the penalties absolutely killed them tonight.

For me, the most frustrating thing about last year might have been the unmotivated performances the team turned in night after night. At least tonight against the Caps, the Devils showed some push back. They absolutely need to reign in the penalties that they take, but at least they are playing with passion unlike last season. Hopefully next game we will see the Devils rebound. I'd love to see the Devils beat the Rangers. That would more than make up for a loss against the Caps. :nod:

Reactions: My3Sons

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hischier, we have a problem.

My opinion (sure to be politically incorrect and unpopular here) is the elephant in the room re: Nico Hischier.

He's a boy playing a man's game. A boy with an NHL skill set, but not the frame to properly use & take advantage of it.

The book is clearly out on this kid after 3 games. Just pin him on the boards and it's like a hawk holding down a mouse. Whenever a Cap had the chance, it was Hischier rubs glass time.

Nico clearly needs to grow & bulk up with some strength conditioning in the off-season to be able to use his world class skill set at the NHL level. This might be a tough year for him.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I have defended Moore on here many times because the man can put up points from the back end and his skating his phenomemal. But my God, he was pure trash tonight. It hurt to watch.

i guess the truth hurts sometimes. however he is a great team guy and he really wants to be on this team. we have worse options and im happy hes gonna be around the team this year. despite what any poster has to say i hope we give him a two year extension at 1.5-2 mil per. intangibles are better than corsi stats.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
i guess the truth hurts sometimes. however he is a great team guy and he really wants to be on this team. we have worse options and im happy hes gonna be around the team this year. despite what any poster has to say i hope we give him a two year extension at 1.5-2 mil per. intangibles are better than corsi stats.

He cant play like he did tonight then. Tonight's mistakes were the things I expect to see Butler, Mueller, and Santini doing, rookies, not a guy with 400 NHL games played.

The first three games he was fine, but tonight was really something else. I found myself yelling, "MOORE!" all night, it was like every time he touched the puck disaster ensued.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
He cant play like he did tonight then. Tonight's mistakes were the things I expect to see Butler, Mueller, and Santini doing, rookies, not a guy with 400 NHL games played.

The first three games he was fine, but tonight was really something else. I found myself yelling, "MOORE!" all night, it was like every time he touched the puck disaster ensued.

i know. im hanging my head because i know hes better than that. everything i said is debatable and just my opinion. everyone else might be right. i just really like the guy and want to see him help this team get to the next level. his character is second to none, he just has to get out of his head or something. i honestly dont know why he continues to make mistakes. but if anyone can turn it around its him, lets just hope he does that.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hischier, we have a problem.

My opinion (sure to be politically incorrect and unpopular here) is the elephant in the room re: Nico Hischier.

He's a boy playing a man's game. A boy with an NHL skill set, but not the frame to properly use & take advantage of it.

The book is clearly out on this kid after 3 games. Just pin him on the boards and it's like a hawk holding down a mouse. Whenever a Cap had the chance, it was Hischier rubs glass time.

Nico clearly needs to grow & bulk up with some strength conditioning in the off-season to be able to use his world class skill set at the NHL level. This might be a tough year for him.
Agreed. When he has time and open space he looks phenomenal. Along the boards will be a struggle until he gets more experience and bulks up.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Refs sucked but we really got annihilated on careless penalties like that high stick. I don't think we had what it took tonight anyway but it's frustrating to be killing that many penalties. I'm really unhappy with the lack of discipline vs. TOR and WSH.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
How did the refs suck?

The Devils definitely took all the penalties they were called against and I didn't see anything too egregious from the Caps that was not called.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Refs sucked but we really got annihilated on careless penalties like that high stick. I don't think we had what it took tonight anyway but it's frustrating to be killing that many penalties. I'm really unhappy with the lack of discipline vs. TOR and WSH.

not much you can do when you score and then give a 4 min penalty to a team like the caps. they should be better against the rags.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How did the refs suck?

The Devils definitely took all the penalties they were called against and I didn't see anything too egregious from the Caps that was not called.

The Caps got away with a lot of easy calls in the first. We got called for a couple of cheap ones too. Hall was tripped in tight with no call. Nico was tripped on a PP no call. Butcher was boarded with no call just off the top of my head.

The back breaker though was a legit, correct call on Zacha so it was a mix.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Caps got away with a lot of easy calls in the first.

Agreed on the Caps in the 1st period.

Also, did Coleman really "close his hand" on the puck. It didnt really look like it to me, it looked open and he was spinning. That almost NEVER gets called, so when it does it's usually really blatant, which I didnt think this warranted. And of course, the Caps scored on it.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Agreed on the Caps in the 1st period.

Also, did Coleman really "close his hand" on the puck. It didnt really look like it to me, it looked open and he was spinning. That almost NEVER gets called, so when it does it's usually really blatant, which I didnt think this warranted. And of course, the Caps scored on it.
Refs HATE IT when players keep the puck in there hands and spin around or try to do something tricky. Definitely a good call IMO. I felt like he held onto it too long.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Refs HATE IT when players keep the puck in there hands and spin around or try to do something tricky. Definitely a good call IMO. I felt like he held onto it too long.

Yeah, I think what did him in was the fact it would have led to a rush up the ice, but the rule is closing your hand on the puck, and to me it didnt look like he did that.

Not sure about the "good call" bit though, as to me it seems like he received 2 minutes for using centrifugal force, which is not a penalty.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Looked like he did hold it just a hair too long. Though I fault refs for looking the other way early on, I think the call on Coleman was legit and one of the penalties (along with Zacha's) that I would call careless/needless.

If they're looking to establish an identity this season, they can start by cleaning up dumb stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad