Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
There’s usually (some) reasons for it.

This year, it’s just how the Jets are built. He’s not on the PP1 and doesn’t PK.

They lean a lot on their top line when healthy Connors played with Scheifele.

This is Rick Bowness so the Niederreiter-Lowry-Appleton was a borderline 2nd line.

Their other scoring line was Ehlers and etc.

He was centered by Namestnikov then Monahan. Mostly played with Perfetti, then Toffoli.

The forward lines changed just about every game in the playoffs, which was a bad sign lol.

He’s had a tough time with injuries in the several of the seasons before playing 82 games this year.

He missed half of the season last year, and when he did play he was on a line with Wheeler and Namestnikov, poor guy lol.
As someone who watches a lot of Winnipeg (they're my 2nd-favorite team), I can say it's as simple as the Jets like to separate Connor and Ehlers, and Connor is appreciably better than Ehlers.

But yes, Ehlers is also a very very good winger, fast as hell and always dangerous. He's just no Kyle Connor, who is elite.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
As someone who watches a lot of Winnipeg (they're my 2nd-favorite team), I can say it's as simple as the Jets like to separate Connor and Ehlers, and Connor is appreciably better than Ehlers.

But yes, Ehlers is also a very very good winger, fast as hell and always dangerous. He's just no Kyle Connor, who is elite.
I loved Connor during his draft year and he's a stud for sure.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I would take multiple more Jesper Bratts if I could clone the man. Terrific player, will have a number of great playoff runs in his career.

I’m so tired of judging players based on tiny samples of counting stats in the playoffs. Timo got blanked by Igor and was great in that series.

Mate, nobody hopes that he will more than me.... But so far... eh? I expected more in those 12 games last year...

But re: Ehlers. 37 games is not a small sample. Go read the Jets board. They are the experts and they aren't exactly thrilled with his lack of production up to now in his career.

Not sure why Timo was brought up?

Reactions: NJDevs26

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Mate, nobody hopes that he will more than me.... But so far... eh? I expected more in those 12 games last year...

But re: Ehlers. 37 games is not a small sample. Go read the Jets board. They are the experts and they aren't exactly thrilled with his lack of production up to now in his career.

Not sure why Timo was brought up?
Timo had 0 points in a 7 game series and was terrific. We’re mostly judging these things by looking at a box score.

I liked Bratt’s game in the playoffs and his underlying numbers were still terrific. It just didn’t go in vs the Rangers. Everyone was pooped by the 2nd round, not sure what you can really take from that.

We still need to add pieces to even get in the playoffs before we worry about anything else.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Timo had 0 points in a 7 game series and was terrific. We’re mostly judging these things by looking at a box score.

I liked Bratt’s game in the playoffs and his underlying numbers were still terrific. It just didn’t go in vs the Rangers. Everyone was pooped by the 2nd round, not sure what you can really take from that.

We still need to add pieces to even get in the playoffs before we worry about anything else.

Who ever said Timo wasn't? Bratt looked ok too, just not enough raw production when we needed it.

Go and read the Jets board. They aren't "judging these things by looking at a box score."

Totally agree that we need to add. Goalies and defence. Not another scoring forward, who to this point in their career, has produced jack shit when it matters most. A guy that is going to be expensive to acquire and expensive to re-sign.

Wrong direction to take, just my opinion.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who ever said Timo wasn't? Bratt looked ok too, just not enough raw production when we needed it.

Go and read the Jets board. They aren't "judging these things by looking at a box score."

Totally agree that we need to add. Goalies and defence. Not another scoring forward, who to this point in their career, has produced jack shit when it matters most. A guy that is going to be expensive to acquire and expensive to re-sign.

Wrong direction to take, just my opinion.
The whole Timo point is just to illustrate that you can have a reasonably large stretch of games with 0 to show for it while still playing pretty well. Ehlers has had some strange usage in his career and hasn’t been on PP1 most of the time. Not too surprising his counting stats aren’t great across a number of series that they were mostly smoked in. But even if he’s not great in the playoffs, he’s terrific in the regular season. That’s not nothing.

I very much think we need to add another scoring forward. More than D, for me at least.

I wouldn’t pay a huge price for him, but I’d happily send Holtz and next year’s 1st or something like that. I doubt he’d get huge money with his lack of gaudy counting stats. Maybe the Bratt contract or even less?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Stephenson / similar seems like the right track but I'd hate to hand out one more Palat-esque deal. That would be a backbreaker.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ehlers’ playoff production looks crummy for the same reason he’s never had more than 64 points in a season despite consistently being near the top of the p/60 lists every year: Winnipeg is a poorly run organization that doesn’t appreciate his talents.

Honestly the entire Winnipeg organization is a playoff no-show. Something’s rotten there and it’s been that way for awhile, and while i’d LOVE to see Ehlers get a chance on another team, i’m not sure he makes sense for the Devils.

That being said, if he does end up in Jersey i’ll be doing cartwheels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad