Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I don't get the constant *****ing about fourth liners around here. Yes, Carter is a better hockey player than Gionta, but he's still a fourth liner. Does it really make that much of a difference if Carter is there instead of Gionta? The bottom six should be the least of our worries up front.

Yes.

You need to roll four capable lines. Using Gionta instead of Carter to me just shows it's more of PDB/Lou playing favorites then wanting to ice the best possible team. Carter is head and shoulders above Stephen Gionta and it's not even close.

I'm personally of the opinion that the Devils' bigger problem is most of their top line guys aren't good enough to be top line guys on many other teams.

MountainGoat

Zajac gets 60 points and I'll change my avatar to picture of a mountain goat taking it from behind from Zajac

Last edited by a moderator:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zajac would have got 50 this season easy if it didn't take DeUmbass a month to put Jagr on his line.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to score 60 points in today's NHL. 21 centers hit 60 points last season. That's Bergeron/Stastny/MacKinnon/E. Staal territory.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never heard about us re signing Sestito. Wasn't he supposed to be a UFA? Please tell me we aren't gonna bring him back this time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm personally of the opinion that the Devils' bigger problem is most of their top line guys aren't good enough to be top line guys on many other teams.

Exactly. Our problem is the top six, not the bottom six. Even with Cammalleri I'd say we still only have 5 legitimate top six forwards (Cammalleri, Zajac, Jagr, Elias, Henrique). Havlat/Ryder/Brunner/Clowe are all borderline top six guys with various issues. The fact that Zubrus and Ruutu spent time on our top line last year was a problem. Fix the top six, and the rest of the forwards will take care of themselves.

They've at least added some decent bodies this year, so hopefully Gionta can go back to being just a fourth liner. People assume that he's going to be overused before the season has even started. Maybe, with more options, he won't be. But that would require looking past the blind hatred towards our coach. I happen to really like Carter, and I would prefer him to Gionta. And I do think that having a good fourth line that can chip in some offense is incredibly useful (as we saw in the 2012 playoffs). But it doesn't mean a damn thing if the three lines ahead of them aren't good enough.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I never heard about us re signing Sestito. Wasn't he supposed to be a UFA? Please tell me we aren't gonna bring him back this time.

he's on the Devils payroll as a 2way for the 14/15 season ?
he was on waivers in April, but I think that was just to send him to Albany for the playoffs
havent heard any news on him in a while

2013/07/06 Re-signed as an unrestricted free agent by the New Jersey Devils to a two-year contract.
2014/04/13 Placed on waivers by the New Jersey Devils.
2014/04/14 Assigned to the Albany Devils (AHL).

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
What is the issue with Gionta? He put up 11 points in 66 games last season. He is solid defensively as well. What is so wrong with that? I'm in favour of bringing all of CBGB back. Even Bernier. Though he could be scratched/sent down easily if he is not good.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I was disgusted that Lou even brought him back

The fact that he got a TWO year deal is what really irritates me. There was no need to give him multiple years. Lou has done everything right this summer, except for the Gionta contract. It just wasn't necessary. Not when we already have more than enough forwards. It just reeked of a loyalty contract.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yes, because it will be so hard to move a cheap depth forward if they have to. It's not like he's making 4+ million and will probably spend half the season on IR. Or 3 million to be a pylon on defense. Or 3 million to play in the bottom six. Stephen Gionta ranks pretty damn low on the things we should be worried about.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes, because it will be so hard to move a cheap depth forward if they have to. It's not like he's making 4+ million and will probably spend half the season on IR. Or 3 million to be a pylon on defense. Or 3 million to play in the bottom six. Stephen Gionta ranks pretty damn low on the things we should be worried about.

Clowe, Sal, and Zubs. What do I win??!

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 6

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
The 10-12 minutes a night that Gionta, or any other non-goon 4th liner is playing, is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Unless you have the equivalent of a Kurtis Foster type of player who lets in a goal every time he steps on the ice.
Gionta can be sent down to Albany if he's that bad. If he's just clogging up space, then we might be able to wrangle a pick out of Buffalo to reunite the brothers. His roster spot doesn't take away a whole lot. Unless you're a big Sislo fan.

Having a good 4th line is found money in this league.

My biggest concern is clearing the deck in the middle of the lineup so that the players we actually should be relying on to produce are able to be put in a position, and given the minutes, they need to succeed.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Speaking of Ruutu... anybody well versed in the new CBA?

Carolina is already retaining salary from his initial cap hit of 4.75
Let's say we find a taker for him, can we further retain salary? And if so, is there a smaller limit as to how much we can? I know it's a maximum of 50% on the initial trade.

I was thinking about this in general, but Ruutu is a relevant hypothetical scenario.

EDIT: Should have went straight to capgeek. For anyone else interested:

In the event salary is retained a second time on the same contract, the percentage of salary/cap hit retained is applied to the full salary/cap hit and cannot alter the terms of the first retained salary transaction. Example: Devan Dubnyk was traded from Edmonton to Nashville on Jan. 15, 2014. Dubnyk's cap hit was $3.5M and the Oilers retained 50 per cent of it ($1.75M). Later that season, Nashville dealt Dubnyk to Montreal on March 5, 2014, retaining 25 percent of Dubnyk's contract. The percentage applied to Dubnyk's full cap hit of $3.5M, meaning the Oilers continued to retain 50 percent of it ($1.75M) while the Predators picked up 25 percent of it ($875K) and the Canadiens — if Dubnyk had been on their roster — handled the remaining 25 percent ($875K).
http://capgeek.com/faq/how-do-retained-salary-transactions-work

Also notes this, which I wasn't aware of:
A team cannot reacquire a player within one calendar year of a retained salary transaction unless the player's contract expires during that time.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why do people think The addition of Ruutu makes Zubrus redundant?

They're both big men that are good at grinding and play a rounded game, but Ruutu is a much better skater and has significantly better offensive potential.

They also make similar amounts of money, not to mention Ruutu is much younger while Zubrus seems to be on the decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad