Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatik*

Continue.

About 5 posts early, but I didn't want to start a conversation at 995 posts in the old thread.

Could Schneider's deal possibly be a bridge contract? Maybe he wants to see the direction of this team with him leading it? I could see a 2-3 year deal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Continue.

About 5 posts early, but I didn't want to start a conversation at 995 posts in the old thread.

Could Schneider's deal possibly be a bridge contract? Maybe he wants to see the direction of this team with him leading it? I could see a 2-3 year deal.

it ****ing better not be

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I dont necessarily think a 3 year deal would be the worst thing for Schneider. We would know what we have with our goaltending prospects in that time and what Schneider really is. Is he the top 5 goalie a lot of us think he is or more of a middle of the road goalie? Im not opposed to a long term deal but its not the worst thing if that's all it is.

NHL Fanatik*

this is his big chance to make money

I cannot see him taking anything less than say, 5 years.

This is true, and I think if it is long term it'll be 8 years.

I dont necessarily think a 3 year deal would be the worst thing for Schneider. We would know what we have with our goaltending prospects in that time and what Schneider really is. Is he the top 5 goalie a lot of us think he is or more of a middle of the road goalie? Im not opposed to a long term deal but its not the worst thing if that's all it is.

I agree with this. But with our recent woes of guys leaving without anything coming back, maybe a long term deal is the best option to avoid all of that drama.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Going to be interesting to see how the PP units shape up.

First unit could be: Cammalleri, Zajac and Jagr up front with Zidlicky and Gelinas on the point.

Second unit could be: Elias, Henrique and Clowe up front with Greene and Merrill on the point. I don't see room for someone like Havlat on the PP unless there is an injury. I could see Brunner coming in on the point for someone due to an injury or someone (Gelinas) being scratched. PP looks really good on paper.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Going to be interesting to see how the PP units shape up.

First unit could be: Cammalleri, Zajac and Jagr up front with Zidlicky and Gelinas on the point.

Second unit could be: Elias, Henrique and Clowe up front with Greene and Merrill on the point. I don't see room for someone like Havlat on the PP unless there is an injury. I could see Brunner coming in on the point for someone due to an injury or someone (Gelinas) being scratched. PP looks really good on paper.

If Elias and Havlat have any type of chemistry then you bet that second PP units would be Elias Henrique Havlat and whoever on the point. I think of Havlat is playing well he has the creativity to be on the PP and if Patty and him find it with Henrique not only could it be a 2nd line but a 2nd PP unit.

But with how Clowe and Havlat get hurt they will probably end uo splitting the time. Plus you still have Ryder Brunner and Ruutu all that can play on the PP.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
its all or nothing. my guess would be 7 years 42m but it would mean he would get paid more than marty did which is kinda funny.

not really…..bobby hull was the first million dollar player 200,000 per season..….you dont see top players making that now…times are not the same as when marty signed his 5.2 and 4.5 contracts ….and the cap has gone up. so its perfectly normal that cory would get more

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
As for Cory, you have to think his camp is pushing for 8 years. He's kind of been in unfortunate situations since his skills have become known and if I were him I would want every assurance I am getting paid for as long as possible because who knows what will happen. He certainly has been jerked around a lot of his career, mostly in regards to Vancouver. My best guess is that it's likely term and not dollars they are trying to work out. I'll say 8 years and $5.75-6.50 per. I'd guess Lou would want lower dollars for longer term and Cory wants more dollars as this will be his only major payday, at least in terms of length. They'll probably settle at $6.25. Of course, all of this is speculation and just passing the time until the season starts so it's all in good fun ;)

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If Elias and Havlat have any type of chemistry then you bet that second PP units would be Elias Henrique Havlat and whoever on the point. I think of Havlat is playing well he has the creativity to be on the PP and if Patty and him find it with Henrique not only could it be a 2nd line but a 2nd PP unit.

But with how Clowe and Havlat get hurt they will probably end uo splitting the time. Plus you still have Ryder Brunner and Ruutu all that can play on the PP.

I don't see how you can keep Clowe off the PP. He was great on it last season. His passing ability is very good. I feel like Ryder is unlikely to stay with us and even if he was I wouldn't use him on the PP unless we had multiple injuries. Brunner maybe gets time on point if they still don't want to play Larsson there. Don't see any need for Ruutu on the PP.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I don't see how you can keep Clowe off the PP. He was great on it last season. His passing ability is very good. I feel like Ryder is unlikely to stay with us and even if he was I wouldn't use him on the PP unless we had multiple injuries. Brunner maybe gets time on point if they still don't want to play Larsson there. Don't see any need for Ruutu on the PP.

IF and of course thats a big IF Havlat is healthy and playing at the level he can play at he is a better player then Clowe i believe.

No theres a lot involved here. First they both need to be healthy. Second Havlat needs to be playing the way he can (used to) play. I like Clowe on the PP also. But if Havlat plays to his talent level he is a better weapon on the PP.

Fact of the matter is right now we have a bunch of options on the PP, which is great. Pete can keep moving people around until he fines what works.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
IF and of course thats a big IF Havlat is healthy and playing at the level he can play at he is a better player then Clowe i believe.

No theres a lot involved here. First they both need to be healthy. Second Havlat needs to be playing the way he can (used to) play. I like Clowe on the PP also. But if Havlat plays to his talent level he is a better weapon on the PP.

Fact of the matter is right now we have a bunch of options on the PP, which is great. Pete can keep moving people around until he fines what works.

I'm not sure I agree. Clowe's lack of speed isn't really a factor when it comes to the PP. He is a very good passer and is good in front of the net. Likely both will be injured at some point, so we may see them both on the PP. Personally, I think Clowe has underrated offensive ability. I think he is one of the best passers on the team easily.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Hopefully the team can figure out how to draw more penalties too, they were terrible at that. They were 2nd to last in power play opportunities.

They were 9th in power play percentage at 19.7 but with so few opportunities it didn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->