Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Tootoo will go to market. He has an interview two days ago where he said he wants to stay here because of the team but also because it was us who gave him his second chance after his issues.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think Tootoo will go to market. He has an interview two days ago where he said he wants to stay here because of the team but also because it was us who gave him his second chance after his issues.

Nice to hear that. Tootoo sounds loyal to this team and grateful to this organization for the second chance it gave him. I appreciate that in a player. Tootoo continues to impress me. I'm glad he came here. He's been a pleasant surprise this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Here's the biggest question, do you want both Tootoo and Bernier to be on the team next year? Gionta already is signed through next year so that pencils him in for 4RW or 4C.

Assuming Gomez returns, Zajac-Henrique/Elias-Gomez-Josefson are probably going to be our centers for next year.

Do we really want both Tootoo and Bernier in our top nine?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Here's the biggest question, do you want both Tootoo and Bernier to be on the team next year? Gionta already is signed through next year so that pencils him in for 4RW or 4C.

Assuming Gomez returns, Zajac-Henrique/Elias-Gomez-Josefson are probably going to be our centers for next year.

Do we really want both Tootoo and Bernier in our top nine?

I don't mind having Bernier in our top 9. Remember before he was on our 4th liner in 2012, he played 3rd line minutes with Ponikarovsky. Bernier has been great and deserves minutes playing the way he has.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't mind having Bernier in our top 9. Remember before he was on our 4th liner in 2012, he played 3rd line minutes with Ponikarovsky. Bernier has been great and deserves minutes playing the way he has.

Ok, that's understandable.

Bernier in the top six (or nine) can work nicely complimenting the right players. If we sign Tootoo, who does he play with? Ideally, you would want a more talented guy with Cammalleri, as good as they've looked together. I'm not too sure Tootoo would look good with other players like he has with Cammalleri.

I guess if we kept Bernier on the "second line" and Tootoo on the "third line" it wouldn't be the end of the world. If we could add someone to play on the first line, then I wouldn't complain.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ok, that's understandable.

Bernier in the top six (or nine) can work nicely complimenting the right players. If we sign Tootoo, who does he play with? Ideally, you would want a more talented guy with Cammalleri, as good as they've looked together. I'm not too sure Tootoo would look good with other players like he has with Cammalleri.

I guess if we kept Bernier on the "second line" and Tootoo on the "third line" it wouldn't be the end of the world. If we could add someone to play on the first line, then I wouldn't complain.

Well one way to do it is your centers to be zajac-gomez-JJ-Gio

LW is Camm-Elias-Rico-Zubs/Matteau (in whatefer order).

Then you can leave Bernier and Tootoo in the bottom 6 on RW.

Which leaves Lou needing to add RW depth.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think there's room for both Bernier and Tootoo next year, especially if we're upgrading our top 6 through trade.

I'd like Bernier back, though I don't think he repeats this next year. He also won't be as bad as he was last year either.

Best thing is to try and get rid of one of Ruutu or Zubrus. One of them needs to disappear. Preferably Zubrus IMO. Ruutu is 5 years younger and a better player. If we get rid of one of them, we likely have room for both Tootoo and Bernier.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that realizes Zubrus will have less than 20 points in his last 120 games by season's end. Lou likely realizes it too. We can't rely on him in the top 9 anymore.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well one way to do it is your centers to be zajac-gomez-JJ-Gio

LW is Camm-Elias-Rico-Zubs/Matteau (in whatefer order).

Then you can leave Bernier and Tootoo in the bottom 6 on RW.

Which leaves Lou needing to add RW depth.

I would much rather see Gionta at RW. Gionta at RW is a much better player than Gionta at center. In addition, that line-up requires us getting rid of either Zubrus or Ruutu which is still not a guarantee.

I know. It leaves in a predicament. A lot of people want both Bernier and Tootoo back and I love what they both bring -- I just don't think it's ideal. If both are brought back, it likely means one is playing in the top six. If we want to be somewhat competitive, that's not the right way to go.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only thing I worry about with Bernier and Tootoo is that one (or both) of them end up playing too much next year. We've seen a coaching staff fall in love with 4th liners and then overplay them before.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
something tells me zubrus up and retires after the seasons over.

I was having this feeling not too long ago, I think it just might be wishful thinking though.

He really has nothing left. I like him for what he did in the past, but he can be replaced by almost anyone (not named Sestito and Sislo) and it wouldn't be a downgrade.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think there's room for both Bernier and Tootoo next year, especially if we're upgrading our top 6 through trade.

I'd like Bernier back, though I don't think he repeats this next year. He also won't be as bad as he was last year either.

Best thing is to try and get rid of one of Ruutu or Zubrus. One of them needs to disappear. Preferably Zubrus IMO. Ruutu is 5 years younger and a better player. If we get rid of one of them, we likely have room for both Tootoo and Bernier.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that realizes Zubrus will have less than 20 points in his last 120 games by season's end. Lou likely realizes it too. We can't rely on him in the top 9 anymore.

Ugh forgot Ruutu.

Possible someone gets shipped out on draft day but maybe Lou can't bring everyone back.

We have to many LWs and not nearly enough RWs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only thing I worry about with Bernier and Tootoo is that one (or both) of them end up playing too much next year. We've seen a coaching staff fall in love with 4th liners and then overplay them before.

I don't want either of these guys above the 4th line. At the same time, they're a lesser of two evils on the 3rd line if it's between one of them or Zubrus.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Exactly my point.

With our complete lack of RWs and the uncertainty of Lou bringing one in which will be an upgrade over Bernier or Tootoo, it's very likely one of them plays way more than they should next year.

If Josefson can move his way up to a top nine center position pushing Elias and Henrique to wing, we can roll with something like this next year:

Cammalleri-Zajac-xxxxxx
Elias-Gomez-xxxxxx
Henrique-Josefson-xxxxxx
Matteau-xxxxxx-Gionta

I actually would like our LW and C depth in this scenario, it's just RW that scares me. I guess there's a chance we could add Rantanen or Meier and they make the team as well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Ugh forgot Ruutu.

Possible someone gets shipped out on draft day but maybe Lou can't bring everyone back.

We have to many LWs and not nearly enough RWs.

I say Ruutu for Parenteau.

Or Ruutu for Gionta.

I would take either one of those trades just to open up some room on the LW.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I could live with one of Tootoo or Bernier on the 3rd line. Bernier would probably be the better bet honestly. Tootoo is fine as a 4th liner and playing above that if need be.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I say Ruutu for Parenteau.

Or Ruutu for Gionta.

I would take either one of those trades just to open up some room on the LW.

Brian Gionta? He's bad at this point. He might outproduce Ruutu or Zubrus, but he's been awful this year. Too much money too, not to mention signed for 2 more years.

I think we're better off with one more year of Ruutu.

He's been a little better than Ruutu, he also averages almost 6 more minutes of ice time per game. Wouldn't be so bad if he just had one year left, two years is too much. Higher cap hit than Ruutu too.

He could experience a Zubrus like crash by the last year of that contract.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Brian Gionta? He's bad at this point. He might outproduce Ruutu or Zubrus, but he's been awful this year. Too much money too, not to mention signed for 2 more years.

He's been a little better than Ruutu, he also averages almost 6 more minutes of ice time per game. Wouldn't be so bad if he just had one year left, two years is too much. Higher cap hit than Ruutu too.

I'd rather just suck it up and deal with the last year of both Zubrus and Ruutu than to add Gionta for another two years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Maybe.

But would you rather have deadweight on the LW taking up space from Boucher/Matteau or would you rather have deadweight taking up space on the RW. Or furthermore, do you want Zubrus or Ruutu at LW prevent Josefson from moving up the line-up when he deserves it because we can't push Henrique or Elias to LW?

I agree the Parenteau trade is more reasonable, but adding Gionta wouldn't be the end of the world.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Didnt watch a lot of games lately, but try to follow via game recaps and you guys here...thanks for this.

Anyway, reading the stats is awesome lately

winning 10 out of 13 last home games
Yayo getting better and better (finally)
young defensive core being awesome
Schneider is just awesome
PK is up to where it used to be (awesome^^)

This makes me pumped. I need to watch the games again, even if the POs are not happening, i need to see the evolution...

it all does sound like we can rebuild with doing the right moves, because the young core is established and working great!:handclap:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe.

But would you rather have deadweight on the LW taking up space from Boucher/Matteau or would you rather have deadweight taking up space on the RW. Or furthermore, do you want Zubrus or Ruutu at LW prevent Josefson from moving up the line-up when he deserves it because we can't push Henrique or Elias to LW?

I agree the Parenteau trade is more reasonable, but adding Gionta wouldn't be the end of the world.
I'd rather the Parenteau trade. He only has one year also.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd rather the Parenteau trade. He only has one year also.

It would make sense for the Devils.

Allows the young guys to push their way up the LW chart and we get the flexibility of maybe moving Elias or Henrique to LW if Josefson continues to impress.

Or if we get McDavid, we would have room to fit him in. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It would make sense for the Devils.

Allows the young guys to push their way up the LW chart and we get the flexibility of maybe moving Elias or Henrique to LW if Josefson continues to impress.

Or if we get McDavid, we would have room to fit him in. :laugh:

Does Montreal wanna deal Parenteau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->