Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Do we really need another forward who hasn't scored 30 goals again in the last 4-6 years? Giving up picks for this guy too? No thanks.

Cammalleri is a guy that hasn't scored 30 in 6 years but he's doing quite well here.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Cammalleri is a guy that hasn't scored 30 in 6 years but he's doing quite well here.

Cammalleri's issue's mainly been games played, though. Eriksson's looking more and more like a 30-40 point player. He's at the age where you can expect a big drop in his point totals, too. How long is he signed for?

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Cammalleri's issue's mainly been games played, though. Eriksson's looking more and more like a 30-40 point player. He's at the age where you can expect a big drop in his point totals, too. How long is he signed for?

He's a UFA after next year, I don't see why we shouldn't go after him. He should be very cheap.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In 2012 jake got a chance to play with kovalchuk and then had a run on the top line with jagr last year. I don't buy any coach stunted josefsons development. He came here early and has had a bunch of injury problems and hasn't been productive when given the chance. That said I still think he will stick with us as a bottom six player.
I think the JJ Jagr bookend line lasted about 6 minutes. Deboer pulled the plug way quick on that.

I've said that Deboer completely gave up on JJ during the short season when JJ started the season as the 3rd line C, playing some PP, but then completely stunk up the joint. Could never get back to his good graces.

Now while JJ has seen PP time under the 3HC regime, his ES minutes are still very limited. And those limited minutes are with Ruutu and Harrold(as of late anyway) so Lou and Co have not unchained JJ the way they have Lars.
Eriksson for Hrabrenka, Scarlett, or Burlon and the later of the two second round picks this year.

If the Bruins get stingy, I would give up Jacobs. Eriksson can get a shot at rejuvenating his career with basically first line minutes in NJ. Boston can possibly get a cheap defenseman out of one of those guys.
I'm not looking to give up much for a 30 something, with head issues and not far off from UFA.

What I'd like to see from the Dev's right now is what I've seen from the Met's. Stay away from trading assests for older players, stay away from expensive UFA's, build up the young guns. Then when those young guns are ready, then maybe you make a move for some vets.

Josefson is very similar to Jagr in the way he uses his leg strength to make space for himself.

Don't see that at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
JJ's minutes are on the rise though which to me shows the coaches are starting to trust him more.

He hasn't really done enough to warrant a line jump, but he has topped his minutes totals for the year under Hydra and the constant scratches seem to be in the past.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
JJ's minutes are on the rise though which to me shows the coaches are starting to trust him more.

He hasn't really done enough to warrant a line jump, but he has topped his minutes totals for the year under Hydra and the constant scratches seem to be in the past.

Gio played 17 minutes last night. And I have no beef with gio, never have, I think he's a good little player in his role, but in a lost season, why is he playing more then the young(ish) first rnd pick trying to find himself? Especially in games where JJ looks like one of our better players.

And don't look now but JJ is only 2 points shy of his career high. ;)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Gio played 17 minutes last night. And I have no beef with gio, never have, I think he's a good little player in his role, but in a lost season, why is he playing more then the young(ish) first rnd pick trying to find himself? Especially in games where JJ looks like one of our better players.

And don't look now but JJ is only 2 points shy of his career high. ;)

Gio I think still gets big time PK minutes. I don't know what their ES minutes look like.

Either way I think JJ getting PP time is pretty significant that he is winning trust.

His confidence looks to be on TE rise too

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

Eriksson hasn't looked great, but the guy has put up .60, .61, and .58 PTS per game. That is ~50 pts a full season.

5on5 - - P/60
14-15 - - 1.64
13-14 - - 1.73
12-13 - - 1.48
11-12 - - 2.36
10-11 - - 2.03
09-10 - - 2.49
08-09 - - 2.13
07-08 - - 1.62

Even Eriksson at half his only 80% his peak he still would be our best forward. 1.64 would lead the NJD in Pts/60 5on5. If price is cheap I hope Lou gets him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Semin is another guy that Lou should look at add. He really fell off, but even if he isn't scoring he is solid defensively and has always been a solid possession guy.

season|Age|P60|FF%Rel
20142015|30|1.2|3.4
20132014|29|1.6|6.6
20122013|28|2.5|-0.9
20112012|27|2.2|4.4

Eriksson numbers in table form (finally figured out how to make tables)

season|Age|P60|FF%Rel
20142015|29|1.6|2.4
20132014|28|1.8|3.9
20122013|27|1.5|3.1
20112012|26|2.4|0.7

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
for a team desperate for scoring, we are being too picky imo

if a decent scoring forward might be available without breaking bank, we should be listening

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

if a decent scoring forward might be available without breaking bank, we should be listening

And, unlike guys like Ryder and Brunner, I think Eriksson would actually fit pretty well on this team. If people are holding out for a home run trade for an elite young forward, they're going to be waiting for a very long time. Guys like Eriksson may not be the ideal solution, but they can at least help.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015

For the most part, I agree. There are a couple of players there who could help. We aren't going to turn our top-6 around overnight, but there are guys who could help a little in the meantime.

The issue for me is contract length. The vast majority of us were thrilled when we signed Ryder to a 2 year deal, and about a season and a half in we were hoping like crazy that Lou could get rid of him. Anything over 2 years just feels like such a risk, and the issue is that very few players of quality who decide to try free agency are looking for 1 or 2 year deals. It's hard to attract them (if you aren't willing to really overpay) without giving them the security of multiple years. I really don't see many impending UFA's who would be worth the risk of a 3+ year contract. Soderberg maybe. Not a lot else.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
A Semin for Clowe + 2015 3rd deal with ~$4.5 retained on Semin? The pick is overpayment but I'd include a pick, maybe 2016, to get them to retain more.

Makes sense because the Clowe contract is perms LTIR so the retention of up to 4.8 cancels out and the Canes save 7mil cap on a player they don't play. The Devils get Semin for $2.5 which is a risk/gamble worth taking. Especially since maybe Kovy comes back in a couple of years ;)

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
A Semin for Clowe + 2015 3rd deal with ~$4.5 retained on Semin? The pick is overpayment but I'd include a pick, maybe 2016, to get them to retain more.

Makes sense because the Clowe contract is perms LTIR so the retention of up to 4.8 cancels out and the Canes save 7mil cap on a player they don't play. The Devils get Semin for $2.5 which is a risk/gamble worth taking. Especially since maybe Kovy comes back in a couple of years ;)

Can't you only retain a max of 50%? At best it would be Semin at $3.5m for another 2 years (I think). Ryder has more points at that cap hit. If you could get Semin at $3.5m for Clowe straight up it might be worth the risk, but there is no point in the world to give up any assets for it. Not to mention that Carolina have no real reason to do it. They aren't a cap team so freeing up the cap space doesn't mean a whole lot to them.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know about Semin fitting here anyway. I have the feeling he'd end up being another Ryder and we'd all hate him within a year.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
I agree with Eriksson and he should be cheap as he hasn't really fit Bostons style of play and they are up against the cap. Short term, good track record of producing, and he really shouldn't cost much. The only other guy I would target is in FA and that is Frolik. Shouldn't be too expensive, is only 27, and in an expanded role would probably put up 50 points or so on our team. When he's gotten steady ice time he has always produced. He's a guy you can give the 5 year term to and not be too worried about it given his lack of any notable injury history. He's young enough that if for some reason he didn't pan out you could definitely move him for something. Aside from him there's not much out there that would be worth getting aggressive with. Maybe Soderberg but I have a feeling he would be a bit expensive.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

If Clowe is moved, will the contract still be insured, or would it be like a pre-existing condition?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know about Semin fitting here anyway. I have the feeling he'd end up being another Ryder and we'd all hate him within a year.

Oh Semin will be hated even if he plays well. Kovy was hated and Semin isn't as good as Kovy nor does he actually care about being liked by fans (like Kovy). I just cancelled my season tickets due to the annoy Kovy hate and enjoy the game at home. Semin at 75% is better than 95% of our forwards.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
If Clowe is moved, will the contract still be insured, or would it be like a pre-existing condition?

We won't trade Clowe for Semin. Doesn't make any sense. Clowe contract was insured and if we ever needed to add to the cap his contract goes to LTIR.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Kadri late for a team meeting and sent home today

we should be in on him this summer. price might not be too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad