Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Noesen, Coleman, Pietila, Rooney, Thomson

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Noesen gets a one-year, two-way, $660,000 at the NHL level. He signed his qualifier.

Pietila: two-years, two-way, $667,500
Coleman: one-year, two-way, $660,000
Rooney: one-year, two-way, $650,000
Thomson: one-year, two-way, $650,000

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Two-way deal? Guess he's not the definite for the lineup some thought he was.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Remember when Shero was an idiot and we needed to give up 2nd round picks for Toronto's trash because we only had 33 or whatever contracts?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well I mean there's very little shot he ever plays a NHL game anyway.

You would hope.

His 4 NHL games last year made me think that maybe Kalinin wasn't that bad. Dude was Mark Fraser equivalent to forwards.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rooney reminds me of a faster Rod Pelley. He's a smart player who does all the little things right, but he doesn't have much skill. He's a good bottom-six AHL player, but the NHL game was way too fast for him last year.

I'm interested to see Thomson next year. I loved what he brought as a crash-and-bang fourth liner last year. I think there's an opportunity for him to make the team at 4LW if the Devils are looking for a prototypical fourth line. Thomson - Boyle - Noesen would be a pretty sturdy fourth line.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Rooney reminds me of a faster Rod Pelley. He's a smart player who does all the little things right, but he doesn't have much skill. He's a good bottom-six AHL player, but the NHL game was way too fast for him last year.

I'm interested to see Thomson next year. I loved what he brought as a crash-and-bang fourth liner last year. I think there's an opportunity for him to make the team at 4LW if the Devils are looking for a prototypical fourth line. Thomson - Boyle - Noesen would be a pretty sturdy fourth line.

I actually liked Thomson. He has an edge we really lack.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I actually liked Thomson. He has an edge we really lack.

I did too.

He skates well, he's good defensively (used in a shutdown role in Albany with Pelley), he goes to the net, he finishes his checks, and he's a big dude 6'4" 220 who is not afraid to fight.

I think he could carve out a role as an enforcer who can take a regular shift on the fourth line. Shawn Thornton-esque.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually liked Thomson more than any of the career-AHL call ups from last season.

Though he also only played 3 or 4 games I think? Looked fine in those games and didn't seem to take as many stupid hooking penalties because he couldn't get the hell out of his end, like frickin Coleman. Although he did have 2 minors. A cross checking and a boarding. Probably due to his physicality.

I didn't think he was that bad, but only a 3 game sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad